Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Ruger American any good? what's the good and bad?

HR IC

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Make sure that you’re up for a good read:
Ruger
You can search function to find lots of good info.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Both mine 6 CM and 6.5 CM shoots excellent with handloads.
They're entry level, cheap stock with triggers that need attention. Once you fix the sear spring and adjust its good.
My 6 CM was throated short but Ruger replaced under warranty.
I'd like to find a good replacement stock.
Both mine shoot as good as any Tikka I own.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Remington280
Both mine 6 CM and 6.5 CM shoots excellent with handloads.
They're entry level, cheap stock with triggers that need attention. Once you fix the sear spring and adjust its good.
My 6 CM was throated short but Ruger replaced under warranty.
I'd like to find a good replacement stock.
Both mine shoot as good as any Tikka I own.

something like a Boyd stock, think of a 223 that take AR mags

Last edited by steveredd1; 05/04/22.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
People complain about the stocks but they have a superior bedding system compared to the Tikka's............
changed springs in the trigger but the Glock design just sucks, for $150 the Timney is a tremendous upgrade.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor
People complain about the stocks but they have a superior bedding system compared to the Tikka's............
changed springs in the trigger but the Glock design just sucks, for $150 the Timney is a tremendous upgrade.

You realize the blade is easily removed, right?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Got a .223, 3/4 groups, fun gun for pig banging.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My .308 is one of my favorites. A little added epoxy in the stock front and a trigger spring change and it is a 1/2-moa rifle with 150 interlocks.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by boatanchor

You realize the blade is easily removed, right?

Yes I did that on one of my rifles but the Timney is still worth every penny to me over anything you do to the factory trigger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I ever buy another (mine was a rimfire), I’ll resist the temptation to doll it up with add-ons. Better to spend the money up front on a rifle that’s good as-is IMO. Wouldn’t mind an All-Weather model for a beater, but they are very scarce.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by steveredd1
Ruger American any good? what's the good and bad?

I'd recommend going with the Predator Model....

I have one in 6.5 Grendal I like quite a bit...

would get one in a 223 also, with the aftermarket mags like I use for my Grendal...

except I have a couple of Howa Mini Actions in 223....along with a host of other bolt action 223s...

for high volume varmint shooting tho, if down to one, I think I'd go with the Ruger American Predator, with the 10 round mags...
using aftermarket polymer mags....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What aftermarket mags actually work in the Predator model? I bought a pmag for my 6 CM, it locks up fine but doesn't feed well. The angle of the bullet isn't correct and gets stuck once the feeding starts. I see the issue but just not sure how to correct it.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have an American 223 Lightweight that shoots 1/2" groups all day with 24.0 gr. of Varget & 70 gr Noslers. Only problem is that the magazine well isn't long enough for the longer 70 gr. bullets. I emailed Ruger to see if they offer a longer magazine and their reply was to NOT use handloaded ammo. Not the answer that I was looking for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nimblehunter
I have an American 223 Lightweight that shoots 1/2" groups all day with 24.0 gr. of Varget & 70 gr Noslers. Only problem is that the magazine well isn't long enough for the longer 70 gr. bullets. I emailed Ruger to see if they offer a longer magazine and their reply was to NOT use handloaded ammo. Not the answer that I was looking for.

Ruger got the twist correct but screwed up with the magazines, both in COAL and function.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
What aftermarket mags actually work in the Predator model? I bought a pmag for my 6 CM, it locks up fine but doesn't feed well. The angle of the bullet isn't correct and gets stuck once the feeding starts. I see the issue but just not sure how to correct it.
The 6 CM will be using a Asics type mag. PMAG brand does have two different followers. If I remember right one colored follower is designed around the creedmoor and the other color follower is designed around a 308 be sure and check that you got that correct I'm sure you can find it on the internet. I can't remember which way for sure I think Brown is designed for the creedmoor but I could have it backwards. And also try feeding one less bullet than a full mag. I converted a 22-250 over to a PMAG stock and Asics type mag with the brown follower. It feeds four flawlessly but if you load it with five the first one does not feed reliably. The angle of the follower I think I know how to fix it but I have not got to it yet.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I shoot some Speer 70 grain bullets loaded at or little longer than book listed COAL and they shoot very well.. you can shoot longer bullets and load them to my length and start there you might be surprised how well they can shoot even further off the lands.
Just use caution when you're getting shorter than listed COAL you'll be taking up case capacity and raising pressures just keep that in mind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
The 6 CM will be using a Asics type mag. PMAG brand does have two different followers. If I remember right one colored follower is designed around the creedmoor and the other color follower is designed around a 308 be sure and check that you got that correct I'm sure you can find it on the internet. I can't remember which way for sure I think Brown is designed for the creedmoor but I could have it backwards. And also try feeding one less bullet than a full mag. I converted a 22-250 over to a PMAG stock and Asics type mag with the brown follower. It feeds four flawlessly but if you load it with five the first one does not feed reliably. The angle of the follower I think I know how to fix it but I have not got to it yet.
In the description here: https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/pmags/bolt-action/pmag-5-762-ac.html?mp_global_color=118

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 05/08/22.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
In the description here: https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/pmags/bolt-action/pmag-5-762-ac.html?mp_global_color=118

From Magpul's site:
The original PMAG 5 7.62 AC magazine, identified by its green lock plate and follower, was optimized for the .308 Winchester based family of cartridges and is compatible with short action AICS-spec bottom metal, to include the Bolt Action Magazine Well for the Hunter 700 Stock, and performed well with most non-.308 based cartridges in nearly all applications. Some three lug bolt action rifle platforms, such as the Ruger American Rifle®, presented some occasional feeding concerns when used with the standard green follower PMAG 5 7.62 AC magazine. We have made an inline change to a new design of spring and follower. The revised PMAG 5 7.62 AC magazine, easily identified with its brown lock plate and follower, has been optimized to ensure complete Magpul reliability with a broad range of calibers in the Ruger American Rifle® and other 3-lug bolt designs, while maintaining or improving the proven Magpul reliability in Remington® 700 footprint platforms and other 2-lug bolt action designs. For the Hunter American stock, we recommend using only the new, brown follower magazines, in calibers like 6.5 Creedmoor. All other actions, and the Ruger in .308, can use either version interchangeably.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I shoot some Speer 70 grain bullets loaded at or little longer than book listed COAL and they shoot very well.. you can shoot longer bullets and load them to my length and start there you might be surprised how well they can shoot even further off the lands.
Just use caution when you're getting shorter than listed COAL you'll be taking up case capacity and raising pressures just keep that in mind.

you can't raise pressures beyond SAAMI specs with the 70 grain Speer, when using H 380 powder... in fact its under SAAMI specs yet still gives darn good velocity and accuracy..
that is my GoTo powder for 223s and 70 grain Speers... same with the 63 grain Sierra SMPs...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the clarification.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
277 members (1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 29aholic, 39 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.