Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
They have been out for a while now so there has been time to put them through their paces. What's the verdict? Good, Bad, somewhere in between?

The little birdshead version has kind of caught my eye. The price is right, it looks like a lot of fun..........but if it's a pos, well...

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mine was/is a steaming heap. It didn't shoot anything close to the sights, and now something internally has broken loose and it's nonfunctional.

I'm going to keep it as-is, because I want to remind myself not to jump into things and let them settle down before buying anything. As it is, I just try to forget I bought the cursed thing. Fixed sights and I have never gotten along very well, this is a stark reminder to spend the bucks and get adjustable sight models.

I could send it back to Ruger, but why bother, it serves it's purpose better now.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
My Dad has one, and its..... not great. His eyes aren't good, so I did most of the shooting with it.

It works fairly smoothly and the trigger is decent, but the accuracy with a gaggle of different ammo was middling to terrible at 25yds off a bench, and the POI was beyond useless. It hits about a mile high and left... I had to aim at the bottom right corner of 12" square targets to keep it on paper.

A Single Six, it is not...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have the Heritage 22/22mag 4.75 with the ugliest dye stained grips in existence...which outshoots my buddy's Wrangler and was $37.00 cheaper. Ymmv.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not heard good things on either Ruger or Heritage, but for the money I didn't have great expectations.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Heritage I got had a barrel-cylinder gap you could read a newspaper through, and accuracy... well, you were lucky to get a dinner plate size group at ten yards.

The Ruger Wrangler I have shoots much better, but I haven't shot it much. The mainspring is incredibly heavy. I need to do something about that.

When I got it, the thing would lock up. I discovered that there's a steel bearing surface for the hand to ride on, since it would quickly eat up the lightweight frame. It's a little bit of sheet metal formed into a loop that hooks around one of the pins. It was not assembled right, and the little thingy wasn't in it's proper place and it was jamming up the works. I finally got it in there right, and it works fine now (I'm pretty good with the gunsmithery thing, but I have to say, assembling Ruger single actions is a far bigger pain in the ass than it should be.... they can't even do it right at the factory! laugh ).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm. I guess I am just lucky. I bought two a few years ago. My son and I have ended our range sessions shooting a couple hundred rounds of 22 through the Wranglers. Both are spot on with the sights. We only shot out to 20 yards. I love them.

I just got a great deal on a NIB recent production so my daughter can have one, too. It does not seem to be as good quality as the first two. Bigger barrel to cylinder gap. Fit and finish not as good. But we’ll try it out. It will probably end up being ole Dad’s. Lol.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Have the Wrangler, previously had the Heritage. Not really impressed with the accuracy of either. But to be fair I need to shoot the Wrangler more.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought a silver Wrangler a couple of years ago. The action was quite stiff, and the loading gate was hard to open. It was accurate and shot right on for windage, but hit about 4 inches low at 25 yards. I put a Wolf spring kit in it, which made a very impressive difference in both the ease of cocking and trigger pull. It's as nice as any Single Six now. I then filed the front sight down carefully and brought it to exact zero at 25 yards. I leave the loading gate open while it is stored, and that has seemed to tire the gate spring out enough to noticeably ease the effort needed to open it. YMMV, but I really like the little revolver, and the price was sure right.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 05/05/22.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought one that Ruger ultimately had to replace. The replacement they send was ultimately replaced again by Ruger. I guess the third time is the charm, but it doesn’t inspire much confidence. Then again, I tend to have rotten luck with new guns.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Consider Rugers known issues with Blackhawks over the decades.
Little things that h ave spawned a cottage industry to fix.

Chamber throats, choked barrels...

And yet, even with the whole industry aware of it, Ruger is content to
continue to sell customers guns with these easily avoided defects.

You really wanna bet on their cheap "value" revolver?

But, the American rifle series is supposedly good.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have never had any issues with my 22 RF Single Six's though all are Old Models. All of my 32's have needed to have their throats opened.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you think you have trouble seeing your new Old Model Blackhawk sights, the Wrangler is a whole different level of hard to see. Stick with a single six.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've had good luck with the Birds head Wrangler I bought.

It shoots to point of impact. Got a 1-3/4" group at 10 yards with it for the first 6 shot out of it.

For my old eyes, the front sight shows up better with the shorter barrel.

I used a pair of needle nose pliers to bend the legs on the trigger spring, lowering the pull weight to about half.

Virgil B.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No more new Ruger revolvers for me, I think I had 3 or 4 in a row that had to go back......The last one was a Redhawk right when the pandemic started, and I think they took 10 month to send it back....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Must be hit or miss.

My Wrangler shoots about as good as my vintage flat gate Single Six.

Lot of gun for the cost.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I finally saw one of the short barreled versions with the Birdshead Grip at my LGS the other day.
Pointed pretty well and fit my hand much better than my Bearcat Shopkeeper with the Birdshead Grip.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Birdshead is sure tempting for $220. Don't really expect target pistol accuracy from a 3 3/4" barrel with fixed sights, but it would be nice to have it go bang when you pull the trigger and be beer can accurate out to 20 yards.

These Wranglers are almost like putting your money on red or black and spinning the wheel. 50/50 chance you'll get a decent one.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine was a POS. Accuracy was nonexistent

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have or have had a total of 19 Rugers I can think of, from my first (original .44 carbine) to my latest, SR-22 pistol. It includes center fire and rimfire rifles, revolvers, pistols and one shotgun. They have always served me well and I have not had a single problem with any of them (other than a bit of simple work to get a 1B to shoot the way I thought it should.) You might think I'm a Ruger fanboy. A couple of times I looked at the Wranglers in the gun stores, just looked at them in the glass case. It always seemed like the kind of thing I'd buy just because it didn't cost much and couldn't be too bad..... but looking at them alone was enough to dissuade me from buying one. To me, they just have the appearance of junk. I've never handled one, but something about my entire adult lifetime being very involved with guns and with manufacturing, just looking at them set off the alarm bells.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

287 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 264mag, 43 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,151
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.