Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Kurt52
I like the COSTCO Paradox poly and Merino blend zip neck tees and long johns. I find for the $20 Canadian price for the tops and less for the bottoms that they are 1/5 the cost of KUU merino tops and they last 5 times longer and dry 5 times faster. I back pack hunt, cross country ski, hike etc and the Paradox stuff works way better than Merino for me. The exception being that I love the COSTCO Merino wool socks and Ice Breaker Merino boxer shorts.

Yes, even best/most expensive 100% wool doesn’t dry as quickly as synthetics, plus it generally a bit more scratchy.

These days performance fabrics are not limited to high end brands, and good stuff can be found at the big box stores at a fraction of the price. I live in baselayers during the winter for work, and a lot of my work baselayers come from WalMart or STP.

Not wool, but as an added note I mostly wear silk bottoms hunting, skiing, work, etc. It’s amazing to me how such a thin base layer can be warm, and yet it is the best at regulating temperature. The only time I wear something heavier is if I’m taking a stand somewhere and not moving much, or if temps start approaching single digits.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
silk has been a staple for us for years. Fishnet works wonders too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Kurt52
I like the COSTCO Paradox poly and Merino blend zip neck tees and long johns. I find for the $20 Canadian price for the tops and less for the bottoms that they are 1/5 the cost of KUU merino tops and they last 5 times longer and dry 5 times faster. I back pack hunt, cross country ski, hike etc and the Paradox stuff works way better than Merino for me. The exception being that I love the COSTCO Merino wool socks and Ice Breaker Merino boxer shorts.

Yes, even best/most expensive 100% wool doesn’t dry as quickly as synthetics, plus it generally a bit more scratchy.

These days performance fabrics are not limited to high end brands, and good stuff can be found at the big box stores at a fraction of the price. I live in baselayers during the winter for work, and a lot of my work baselayers come from WalMart or STP.

Not wool, but as an added note I mostly wear silk bottoms hunting, skiing, work, etc. It’s amazing to me how such a thin base layer can be warm, and yet it is the best at regulating temperature. The only time I wear something heavier is if I’m taking a stand somewhere and not moving much, or if temps start approaching single digits.

Keeping the skin dry, by transporting the moisture to the outer layers, avoids evaporative cooling.

The MidwayUSA Level One Base Layer Shirts and Pants are 210 GSM 92% Polyester 8% Spandex, w/ SILVADUR antimicrobial technology.

Then flannel/fleece/wool, and 100% cotton rip-stop BDU's as a shell.

GR

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve got Kuiu, First Lite, Sitka & black Ovis base layers all are fine as far as fit & comfort. The lightweights are about the same I like the Kuiu better in the heavier weights & mid layers.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
SWANNDRI

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I can't tell you how many times I looked at Smartwool socks at $20.00 a pair before I broke down and spent the money. Best money I ever spent, comfortable year 'round and wear like iron I'm still wearing the ones I bought 7-8 yrs. ago.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
So far I’ve picked up a minus33 long sleeve and midway USA short sleeve. I can wear them but find both a little itchy. I’m thinking of trying alpaca, but can’t find anything in stock. Has anyone used alpaca wool for a base layer?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve got some darn tuff merino socks and love them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hate being cold so have tried Kuiu - love their heavier layers, First lite, minus 33, Sitka, black Ovis and they seem to vary depending on thickness hood etc. Last 2 purchased were from Misway I was pleasantly surprised. Will get some 3xl’ for my offensive tackle grandson this year based on the value.

B
B
I recently bought merino wool bottoms from Meriwool. It's slightly cheaper than some of the other name brands out there, but they are soft.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the T's that Cotco used to carry were Karbon brand. Karbon's website doesn't have them any more. There are a few floating around on Ebay but the prices are $40+ for what Costco sold for $20.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Im a Big fan of the light weight and medium weight offerings from Minus33. I have a pair of Expedition weight bottoms but not a huge fan. Just a little too heavy for my taste if I am active. If your just sitting, their great..

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I started using the higher-tech (non-scratchy) wool base layers as soon as they came out. Icebreaker, smart wool, REI house brand merinos, and first lite.

The first lite merino hoody has probably become my favorite item, but I doubt you will find it on sale. It seems to pill up and look bad quicker though, if you care about that.

But otherwise, all of the above brands seemed to last a long time and basically worked the same. Buy the stuff on sale. REI is nice because you could actually try it on first.

Mostly I've settled on the 250 weight for tops and bottoms, but if you're a big dude those might get hot.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
whatw orks for me may no work for others. I use a light synthetic spandex layer agaisnt my skin and a heavy -33 layer on top of that. then a sitka/kuiu type pant. My upper system is a Sitka heavyweight hoody and a wool shirt. i carry puffy pants and coat in my pack. my feet sweat so I don't wear insulated boots often but do keep a set of bot blakets in my pack too and smartwool or darn tough socks

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
im absalutely no help with this one as everything i use for clothing is browning other then my boots

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by XBOLT51
im absalutely no help with this one as everything i use for clothing is browning other then my boots

Obvious.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

293 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 33 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,607
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.