Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I recently picked up a Ruger Blackhawk 3 Screw 357. When I took it out I was shocked at how much my eyes had changed from the last time I was shooting an open sighted handgun.......and not for the better. Anyone have any tricks to help clean up the sight picture? My vision is still good at distance but up close things get blurry without 1.25 readers.

Last edited by centershot; 05/05/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a set of Rx “computer” glasses that work great. Found another use for them.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
A bit slow to use, and takes a bit of practice. I have put a small piece of electrical tape with a small hole in it on my glasses. Think of a peep sight. It puts everything on the same focal plane and really sharpens the sight picture!

However, I cheated and put a red dot sight on my hunting pistol! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was amazed at how much a set of Dawson Precison fiber optic sights on my CZ 9mm improved my shooting. That was really apparent shooting indoors with subdued lighting vs. my .22 S&W with the factory sights. On that .22 I've thought about replacing the rear sight insert with a white outlined sight, but all the info here about the difficulty replacing that sight insert a week or so back had me buying a jar of white jig paint and I'll try my own insert paint job. Sure, the red dots are the cure all for aging eyes and handgun accuracy, but my handguns are close range only and open sights on those two are all I'm going to use.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
In the past, I've successfully used reading glasses with a correction similar to the middle lens in my lined trifocals which is essentially the same as the computer glasses Rick mentioned. I'm wearing progressive lenses now and can make them work without needing the reading glasses, but reading glasses are still better. The ultimate solution for me is red dot sights...

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Windfall
I was amazed at how much a set of Dawson Precison fiber optic sights on my CZ 9mm improved my shooting. That was really apparent shooting indoors with subdued lighting vs. my .22 S&W with the factory sights. On that .22 I've thought about replacing the rear sight insert with a white outlined sight, but all the info here about the difficulty replacing that sight insert a week or so back had me buying a jar of white jig paint and I'll try my own insert paint job. Sure, the red dots are the cure all for aging eyes and handgun accuracy, but my handguns are close range only and open sights on those two are all I'm going to use.

I have Dawson FO front sights on several handguns and they do help a bunch...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just do what I do..........

Squint

T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
XS sights make a shallow "express" rear sight with a white stripe that works in conjunction with their front dot sight. I find it much easier to align than a typical notch rear sight and accurate enough for my needs.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've quit trying to see black sights. As far as I'm concerned, ALL front sights should be fluorescent orange (or maybe a gold bead), and if at all possible, the rear is a Millett "longhorn" white outline... not so easy to do now, since they haven't been made in like 20 years or more. I can SEE these sights, even if I'm a little fuzzy.

I do like a gold bead (or dot) front sight with an "express" rear, but coming up with such a setup might not be so easy, depending on the gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by centershot
I recently picked up a Ruger Blackhawk 3 Screw 357. When I took it out I was shocked at how much my eyes had changed from the last time I was shooting an open sighted handgun.......and not for the better. Anyone have any tricks to help clean up the sight picture? My vision is still good at distance but up close things get blurry without 1.25 readers.

Go see an optometrist, and bring a tape measure and a ruler.

Get in your preferred shooting stance, point your index finger at the optometrist, and tell them you want polycarbonate glasses w/ a focal point a barrel's length past the end of your finger.

My optometrist says she has trap-n-skeet shooters that bring in their shotguns.

GR

IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wayne Morgan of Morgan Optical cut me a couple of lenses to go with my set of shooting glasses several years ago. I did only one lens in each of two color sets. One eye cut for longer range, one for the front sight. He recommended it, said a number of his military shooting teams’ members have done this quite successfully also. After using them a lot, I highly recommend it.

Also, all he needs is a current prescription and he can figure out the closer range lens.

https://www.morganoptical.net/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitely some glasses, I need them

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was talking with an optometrist about my issues, I see fine at mid and long distances, my problem is within arms reach. He told me there was a new eye drop on the market that would fix it! He then wrote me a script for it and I had it filled. Unfortunately I haven't tried them yet. I have since seen them advertised on TV and they are supposed to do exactly what we need. Aquity or something like that?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Open the rear sight blade with a file till the fuzz disappears.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Centershot: The answer to your quandary is.... - Red Dot Sights!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have central serous retinopathy in my right (formerly dominant) eye. No fix for it. Glasses do not help.

Always used both eyes with handguns. Havent really missed a beat as the left takes over.
Rifles are another matter.....peeps and anything that cancels the periphery make things worse.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by RickBin
I have a set of Rx “computer” glasses that work great. Found another use for them.

Rick,
What are these pyooter glasses you speak of?

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Creeker
Open the rear sight blade with a file till the fuzz disappears.

Yep. Either that or learn to only focus on the target. Or just the front sight.
The main reason people go to RDS is because they never learned how to use iron sights.
Imho of course.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

This is just one of many factory made products of which I mentioned that I made with electrical tape (poor folks have poor ways). It’s most practical for target shooting…..but perhaps could be adapted for hunting!

A red dot is still probably the best option! memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have been down the Red Dot road also. I have a Burris FF3 on my 686. They work, but sure take some getting used to..........at least in the way they look on a revolver. Not sure I could take a Red Dot on a Single Action. lol
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by centershot; 05/06/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 3,482 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.