Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 79S
Chit AMU is notorious for loading hot when I say hot, brass is one and done.. for those of you living under a rock AMU stands for Army Markmanship Unit.. As the story was told to me AMU showed up to camp perry and shot across the course the long line load was 80gr smk loaded in lapua brass. Well amu was just leaving it lay guys started picking it up as the rest of the story goes the brass wouldn’t even hold a primer.

I sized some brass this afternoon from my chrono test. Primer pockets were as tight as a frog’s ass.

R-P brass.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Range day today and the conditions were great.

I started the seating depth test with the shortest rounds. Awful. The first 3 iterations were more like a shotgun pattern than a group. The next two lengths showed promise but then I got to the longest set, just barely touching the lands.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I need to roll a few more but this is a pretty good first effort. Chrono is 3035.
Safe in my rifle only, do not exceed published loads.
OAL is 2.477”

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Pharmseller
[
Why hand load if not to push the limits of performance?

Hand loading conservatively is like asking a red headed whore to hold your hand.

I'm well past this phase in my handloading journey. Eyes, face and hands still intact smirk

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not long range and ya need a Bolt action, with a 1 in 9 twist...

but a super accurate load, is the 75 grain A Max with 8 grains of Unique....a 5 shot, one hole at 75 yds most of the time for me...

and has actually worked pretty well for kids just starting out on deer under 100 yds....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Seafire

but a super accurate load, is the 75 grain A Max with 8 grains of Unique....a 5 shot, one hole at 75 yds most of the time for me...

and has actually worked pretty well for kids just starting out on deer under 100 yds....

Functionally, what’s the difference between the A Max and ELDM?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

For me, the A-Max is much more accurate in every .223/5.56 I own. That said, the jackets on the ELD-M seems to be a bit harder, based on penetration of wild pigs.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

The ELD-M has that heat shield tip to counteract the re-entry burn, before target touchdown.

Originally Posted by CashisKing
Hey Rod... welcome to the fire.
April 2022.
You speak with great confidence and authority.
Thanks for your honesty...
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I rolled a few more from the accuracy load to run over the chrono. Average of 10 shots was 3101, SD of 16 which I thought was a little high. The original test load (3043) was a little shorter but the sd was only 6.

For you statistics wonks out there the mean was equal to the median which was equal to the mode.

I rolled enough for a range day to confirm precision.

Brass looks good. Primers are maybe a touch cratered but bolt lift was easy.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Myself.. I think Hornady invented a problem publicly, and then came out with the ELD/M to supposedly solve the problem... and increased the price by 80% just to ease their pain.....got that sort of idea off the democRats.... the ones who create a problem that doesn't exist, and then let us know we need them to solve and administer the problem
until hell freezes over...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Back from the range. Can confirm.

75 grain ELDM, G7 BC .235 @ 3101 fps.

Safe in my rifle only, work up to published loads.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
That's a 24" barrel?
My Tikka 223 reports great velocity as well.
I think the slow Tikka thing is a myth- if you handload and kiss lands it's easy to get them up to speed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by CaptArab
That's a 24" barrel?
I think the slow Tikka thing is a myth- if you handload and kiss lands it's easy to get them up to speed.

23 1/2” 1-8”.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
At similar coal with the same bullet and a very similar dose of lever i'm around ~2850 with a 16" shorty.

This bullet at that speed is simply devastating on deer.
Took one head on that was staring right at me last season- looked like a grenade shattered the entire thoracic spine area.

Can't imagine needing more for ANYTHING- so of course I built a twin in 22GT for the 88's

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by CaptArab
That's a 24" barrel?

23 1/2” 1-8”.

Nice work and solid report!
I've been happy with lever but I still keep a stash of tac around for my 308 gas gun- I might circle back if/when the lever runs dry.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Pharm, that's moving in a .223 with a 75 grain bullet.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
She ain’t walkin’, that’s for sure.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
A couple folks on the hide pitched a fit with me when I posted velocity numbers saying I was gonna steer folks into blowing faces off.

Folks don't get it - a bolt gun seated into the lands is a whole nutha level relative to mag length gas gun loads.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just rolled my first 100.

I named the load “Simo” in honor of Simo Hëyhä. Plus, I’m shooting a Tikka.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not bad, but I'll be more impressed with two groups of five side by side on the same paper. I always choke on the fourth shot.

One observation. I thought I had a great load in Fireball, but on the loading of the third batch in that brass, pocket mortality was 60 percent. No cratering, easy extraction, no rings or shinies. After Seafire told me how I screwed up, I'm surprised both my face and the rifle stayed intact. But oh, the beauteous groups.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I rolled enough for a range day to confirm precision.

Brass looks good. Primers are maybe a touch cratered but bolt lift was easy.
Pharm your shooting at what 500 foot of elevation roughly if I remember correctly and maybe 55 degrees. If I remember right your probably shooting chucks and rats at 4000-4500 and warmer temperatures i will be curious to see if your pressure is still ok let us know

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,085
Posts18,463,914
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.