Print Thread
Hop To
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
First off... I am not a Winchester guy. I respect the quality of the gun, but I just dont have the background on them for the most part.

I was in a gun shop today and I saw a rifle that has me thinking about a project. The rifle is a pre-64 action, blued, with a stainless barrel. I think the rifle was a .300 win mag... wish I could remember what the caliber was, The stock was a brown plastic featherweight pattern. I was hoping it was a McMillan when I picked it up, but it seemed more like plastic. Because I was in a hurry, and providing a ride home from a business trip for a few co-workers I didnt really have the time to look it over. Since then (I live 2 hours away from the store) I have been thinking that it may have been a good project gun. The price tag was $749. It is likely only a deal if it has custom barrel but if I remember right it had a more current Winchester take off barrel screwed on it. What is a contraption like this worth?

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
So many variables it is hard to say oakster. Probably the biggest question is if it is a true pre 64 or a post 64 crf classic or BACO action. Easiest way to tell is SN; if it started with a number it’s a true pre-64; if it starts with a G it’s a post 64 classic; if it starts with an A or C or W it’s a BACO crf. Without pics it’s nearly impossible but WAG range is probably $500-$1000+.

If it’s a true pre-64 it could be a bubba’d standard chambering opened up to mag face with extra holes for a side mount and a take off barrel … $500 maybe.

Or …

It could be a prewar 300 h&h un-drilled with custom Blackburn bottom metal and a custom barrel sitting in a wildcat composite …$1000 +++ (not likely!!!)

Or …

It could be a post 64 factory offering stuck in an all terrain or other Tupperware stock and spray painted brown … $750 + perhaps. This is probably most likely, given the limited amount of info provided.

You get the idea. Get pics if the gs will allow - or if not pics a sn and as much detail as you can write down - bottom metal type, markings on barrel, smooth or textured bolt, etc etc etc and we can help more.

And take solace in knowing if it was a great deal at $750, there’s a decent chance it would already be sold.

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
AK, I think you are right that if it was something really valuable, it would be gone. They had a few decent deals in the shop... much better than my town, which things are normally expensive. They had a Tikka T3x Superlight .270 for $550, stainless Sportsmans Warehouse version. They had a stainless Browning A bolt with Leupold rings in .300 Win Mag for $519. Both seem $200 underpriced to what I am used to seeing.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Definitely a good price on the tikka!

Well, I guess you know what that means.

Enjoy the drive back to the shop! laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd buy the Tikka Superlite at that price. No brainer. The "pre 64", is it really? No offense to the OP, but it's really hard to tell from the description as to what it really is, like AKwolverine said. Running across something like this is what I like to do, then I can pick it apart mentally and start adding up what the value is. When the value of the sum of the parts goes well beyond the price tag, that is when I buy it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Would have definately bought the Tikka but I already have one just like it. I have been replacing some of my standard Tikka rifles with Superlights, especially when Sportsmans has them on sale, but I dont need two of the same exact rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oakster
Would have definately bought the Tikka but I already have one just like it. I have been replacing some of my standard Tikka rifles with Superlights, especially when Sportsmans has them on sale, but I dont need two of the same exact rifle.

Dang, I'm glad I don't think that way when it comes to pre 64's. Ha ha.. I'd have to send a fwt 30-06 down the road. Oops, and what about the classic stainless 30-06 fwt? I kinda see your point with the Tikka though. Next time you go back to the store, get some more info for us on the 300wm..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Definitely a good price on the tikka!

Well, I guess you know what that means.

Enjoy the drive back to the shop! laugh

+1

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I guess the question i have is, what is the project you have in mind? Based on what you're saying about the stock, I wouldn't put any value there. If it is a pre 64 action, theres something, but like ak said, extra hole on the sides bother folks, and it detracts from value. I dunno, I've pretty much felt like any early classic or pre 64 action, rifle combo should be worth 5 to 6. Nothing wrong with a 300 wm either. If I could only have one hunting rifle, thats what it'd be. I did buy a side d&t pre 64 here a few years ago. It was an 06 recambered to 300 wm. Gave 450 for the barreled action. Put some jb weld in the side holes. Coated it with Gunkote, slapped it in a McMillain all style stock, and that rifle is a shooting machine. Don't give up on the bastard children, just get into them fair.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, the op will never go back to the shop probably. Here's one for you. How much do you guys think this one is/was worth?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pick it apart. Lets make this thread interesting..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would say easily $2,000.00. If I only had a take off 375 barrel! Nice old gun!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

596 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,027 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,264
Posts18,448,240
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.