-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a #2 8 twist 7mm rock creek sitting here, wondering what it will become.... Was thinking I'd rebarrel my fieldcraft to 7mm08 but who knows....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hart barrels are 4 months right now. I want a SS barrel turned down to Rem Sporter or Rem Mag contour, straight fluted and to be finished at 20” in a .264 8 twist.

Any other suggestions to get one quicker?

Last edited by d500lnn; 05/04/22.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
douglas could probably install you one and return it to ya in two weeks ...send it to Karl after for flutes
I have no problem getting them to shoot or clean up quickly but others think they are taboo

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Call Hawk Hill. They may or may not get to your barrel quick depending on what’s on their list next.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by d500lnn
Hart barrels are 4 months right now. I want a SS barrel turned down to Rem Sporter or Rem Mag contour, straight fluted and to be finished at 20” in a .264 8 twist.

Any other suggestions to get one quicker?

I’d take Stick’s suggested approach. Find a smith that will turn a heavier barrel down to your desired profile, then buy something available and ship it to him.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by gene270
give douglas a try I know some people wont use them but they work great on my rifles and get them to install it
youll have your rifle back in less than two weeks...quicker than you can get a barrel alone with the others

FWIW.....Douglas barrels just posted that Stan Taylor passed away.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Ky221
give douglas a try I know some people wont use them but they work great on my rifles and get them to install it
youll have your rifle back in less than two weeks...quicker than you can get a barrel alone with the others

FWIW.....Douglas barrels just posted that Stan Taylor passed away.

OMG! Such a nice guy.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Try Lothar Walther....

Tarquin
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
What caliber, length and twist are you looking for ? I have a few Rock Creek blanks. Pm me

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stan Taylor worked their many years. All round great guy. Have one of his rifles.

IC B3

T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Creeker
Stan Taylor worked their many years. All round great guy. Have one of his rifles.

An especially significant loss. Most custom barrel makers do not seem to listen to the customer or try to give them good service, they act as though you should be happy to get what they give you and pleased to wait (a year) for it.
NOT Stan Taylor.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Very sorry to hear about Stan Taylor!!!!! He was a very nice man and a standup guy to deal with!!! I barrel a lot of actions and have used them all. FWIW, here is some of my take on barrels; I recently did two different rifles that literally put bullets in the same hole at 100 yards. The first is a Muller and the other is a Douglas. I have had very good luck with Douglas barrels and they are quick to get.
Last year I barreled two rifles for the same customer that wanted Hawk Hills, both rifles touched bullets at 100 yards. I would be very surprised if Shawn wont contour whatever you want. He is a very easy going guy to deal with.
I have had exceptional luck and use Pac-Nor a lot. They are very accurate and first rate folks to deal with all around. Since the fire they are a little slow to get though. I like their polygonal rifling and have had very good luck with it. Doesn't necessarily shoot better, but it always shoots fantastic.
Lothar Walther makes a great barrel, but they are a rather hard alloy and you will probably only get about 5 chambers from a reamer.
I do in fact have a personal rifle with a Rock Creek 5R barrel and I am not all that impressed.
I have a Schnieder, also a personal rifle {40X} that isn't all that either. Same with Badger, which no longer makes barrels....the last two look like a million dollars with a borescope, but just wont perform with the front runners above. When it comes to Shilen I suggest you get their higher "match" grade, I have not been impressed with the blanks that Brownell's sells.
Bartlien and Krieger are very good barrels. Sometimes they take a little break in time to perform at their best.
Obermeyer, of which I have only installed one, shot great.
The Wilson barrels I have used all were exceptional and so was an Excaliber, especially for the price of these last two.
It is easy to understand why, and I completely agree with the fells that say, "there really aren't any bad barrels out there"...I know Rock Creek, Schnieder and Badger all have made first rate barrels, I just didn't happen to get one. Bottom line, if I was going to build another personal rifle I would not be afraid to try any of the above. Never had anyone request a Hart or Lilja.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
msinc
On your Douglas barrel installs.
Do you use the air gage ?

Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by dave7mm
msinc
On your Douglas barrel installs.
Do you use the air gage ?

Dave

Yes sir, I do. At the very least I have always had the air gauged barrels touch bullets at 100 yards.
Here is a recent one, 223 700. 1-in-9 twist, Calvin Elite trigger, McMillan stock and HS Precision detachable magazine. This is a 3 shot group....wish I could say I was the shooter. It was not shot with the bipod, it was shot off a Sinclair rest.

Attached Images
P5080002.JPG (19.08 KB, 281 downloads)
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes, Stan had a massive heart attack. He was a great guy and friend. I pray that he will RIP.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We all have different ideas and experience with different barrels. As for comp. barrels I've had best luck with Shilen, Krieger, Obermyer, and 1 Rock Creek. I've used Broughton barrels when Harold was making them, Turbo barrels when Flash Ebert made then, Bartlien, Douglas, and I think that John Holliger used a Wilson on my AR that he built. All of my hunting rifles are minute of animal. Lothar Walther has a LW50 stainless that I think is a PH steel. They ain't the easiest to chamber, but more feed and speed make a difference. I haven't had a very good one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
msinc,
Nelson Berger .. Walt's brother built my first custom in 1986. It was M700 in 280 AI with the Douglas stainless air gaged.
Nelson recommended it.
I hunted that rifle for almost 20 years and nothing within 500 yards was safe.
It was a truly excellent rifle barrel.
Rockcreek is one of my favorite rifle barrels .
For hunting and 1000 yard silhouette.
I like them alot but getting them is becoming a problem.
Dang military contracts.

Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
best barrels i ever used in 35 years were broughton.button rifled and have 6 rifles with them.there are many good manufacturers.when i started out i used shilen,hart and lilja.then has a clay spencer built rifle with one of his barrels which was a one holer.today there are many very good manufacturers.to me go small shops.mullerworks and dan are in my opinion the best now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used Douglas for several rifles over the years, they make the process very easy and all have shot well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1eyedmule, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,871 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.