Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
First off, I'm not a head hunter at all. For me, it's all about dinner. My brother however, is the opposite. He and his small group of like-minded hunting partners obsess over the horns and I kid him at times to show me his camouflaged tape measure.

So, apparently the 300-class (whatever that means) elk on his wall of dead is no longer good enough so he and a hunting partner are headed somewheres next year where a 330-class elk "is definitely a possibility".

Here's what I've not heard of before - apparently my brother and hunting buddy don't bring rifles or ammo to hunting camp. Instead, they'll be using a couple of the outfitters super-duper rifles that wear cans on the end and are mounted with scopes tailored to the cartridge - 300 PRC. I guess they show up a day early and spend it familiarizing with the rifles out to 500 yards. Then they head out to elk camp. The outfitter also provided them instructions on how to prepare at home using their own rifles.

Wow. That's a new one for me. I know of African hunts where rifles and ammo can be provided, but this is the first I've heard of in the States.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't know how common it is, but if they're in wide open country and they need to be able to make a 500 yard shot, it sounds like a good idea for the outfitter to provide rifles that he knows are up to it, and that he and the guides have the dope on.

An experienced LR shooter with his own dialed-in rifle can get a beginner set up and hitting at 500 pretty quickly.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Agreed. I'm thinking it's the outfitter's take on how they can best help their customers be successful.

How much does this cost? Frankly, I don't wanna know...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
In my mind there’s a world of difference between being the hunter and being the shooter.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never heard of this. 330 class bull or not, If I can’t use my own rifles, count me out. I always take two rifles on my elk hunts, and unless both of them become unusable, which would fall into the epic problems range, I’m running what I brung. Only exception would be a couple of my closest hunting buddies rifles that are on the same trip, and if I’ve shot them multiple times, then in a pinch-yes. Rental cars yes, rental golf clubs yes, rental rifle nope. Just my .02

Doc_Holidude

Last edited by Doc_Holidude; 05/06/22. Reason: horrific spelling

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
In my mind there’s a world of difference between being the hunter and being the shooter.

P

If you're being guided to an elk, what difference does it make whose rifle you shoot?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They are gonna pay to go elk sniping not elk hunting

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To those who it wouldn’t matter for, that’s great. In my mind, the hunt actually starts with the preparation for the hunt, which includes time at the reloading bench. Since I started reloading in 1989, I have not harvested a single big game animal with factory loaded ammunition or with a rifle I didn’t own. If I changed that for a “higher class scoring trophy” I personally would feel a bit like I’m selling out. To me, it does make a difference. Again, to those that it doesn’t…rock on.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I borrow rifles on all my overseas hunts just to avoid the red tape with airlines and firearms control, but this is the first I have heard of a US outfitter tailoring hunts specifically around a given rifle.

Odd, but if it sells and is legal, rock on.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I friend of mine did the same type of hunt in New Mexico. But for Mule deer. The outfitter provided 338 lapuas for the two hunters due to the expected long range presentation. Glen for a trophy Mule deer at about 600 yards. The shot was accross a canyon and they could not get any closer. At the shot, the MD turned on the hill side. Glens trigger break was broadside, by the time of the impact the deer had turned, the bullet striking the the deers spine. The bullet chewed up about 20 inchs of the spine entered the back of its head and exited from the deers face. The trophy deer was mess. Similar type of hunt with supplied rifles.

IC B3

P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
338 lapua on Mulies. Wow.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
To those who it wouldn’t matter for, that’s great. In my mind, the hunt actually starts with the preparation for the hunt, which includes time at the reloading bench. Since I started reloading in 1989, I have not harvested a single big game animal with factory loaded ammunition or with a rifle I didn’t own. If I changed that for a “higher class scoring trophy” I personally would feel a bit like I’m selling out. To me, it does make a difference. Again, to those that it doesn’t…rock on.

That's outstanding. Do you think everyone should do it like you do, or enjoy the same aspects of the hunt that you do? Obviously not, so why answer a question that wasn't asked?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole

That's outstanding. Do you think everyone should do it like you do, or enjoy the same aspects of the hunt that you do? Obviously not, so why answer a question that wasn't asked?

Oh, my apologies sir…I thought I saw a question somewhere in this topic about whether it mattered whose rifle got fired at trophy elk. It’s possible I mis-read what I read. With that being said, if I offended anyone by saying that it mattered to me that it does, or that in doing so, I “spoke out of turn” so to speak, then again all apologies. 😎 Happy hunting!

Doc_Holidude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple friends guide for a local outfitter/rancher with big elk and lots of open country. Every sport that brings their own rifle gets a little range time before the excursion. The guides bring out their rifles too.

After a couple shots on the 500yd gong, most of the sports end up trying the guides' guns. Most of the elk are then shot with the guides' guns.

So, I would say that the practice is becoming more common, as guides realize it is easier to get a sport on a solid rest farther out, than it is to get the sports close enough to flock shoot the herd.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Oh, my apologies sir…I thought I saw a question somewhere in this topic about whether it mattered whose rifle got fired at trophy elk. It’s possible I mis-read what I read. With that being said, if I offended anyone by saying that it mattered to me that it does, or that in doing so, I “spoke out of turn” so to speak, then again all apologies. 😎 Happy hunting!

Doc_Holidude

No apologies necessary, it's an open forum. I don't think you mis-read the question, I think you just wanted to insert your opinion. Like so many threads on here where a guy asks a simple question and 90% of the replies have nothing to do with his question. Especially when the reply has to do with the righteousness of "how I do it."

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm with Doc, I use my rifles on all my hunts including Africa, personal choice. A couple of years ago I was looking for a New Mexico rifle hunt and a co-worker recommended his archery outfitter. The outfitter didn't have any rifle openings but asked me if I wanted to go on a muzzleloader hunt for elk. Them he asked if I had a muzzleloader that could shoot 500 yards and I said "no", my TC Omega is good for about 150 yards. He said I could use his special long range muzzleloader. It was a nice offer but I passed.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A muzzleloader at 500? I'd have passed too.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A muzzleloader at 500? I'd have passed too.

A buddy of mine has a custom muzzleloader and he's done the work to make it possible. It ain't your Granddaddy's Hawken. He posts here so maybe he'll chime in.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Puddle
First off, I'm not a head hunter at all. For me, it's all about dinner. My brother however, is the opposite. He and his small group of like-minded hunting partners obsess over the horns and I kid him at times to show me his camouflaged tape measure.

So, apparently the 300-class (whatever that means) elk on his wall of dead is no longer good enough so he and a hunting partner are headed somewheres next year where a 330-class elk "is definitely a possibility".

Here's what I've not heard of before - apparently my brother and hunting buddy don't bring rifles or ammo to hunting camp. Instead, they'll be using a couple of the outfitters super-duper rifles that wear cans on the end and are mounted with scopes tailored to the cartridge - 300 PRC. I guess they show up a day early and spend it familiarizing with the rifles out to 500 yards. Then they head out to elk camp. The outfitter also provided them instructions on how to prepare at home using their own rifles.

Wow. That's a new one for me. I know of African hunts where rifles and ammo can be provided, but this is the first I've heard of in the States.

I hunted with an outfitter in the US who offered to let me use one of his guide's rifles that had been set up like this. I tried it and couldn't get a hit at 300 with it using the exact dope he had given me. Then I grabbed my own rifle and rang steel far enough to prove that I didn't need to borrow one.

If their rifle had worked for me, I might have used it.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Smokepole,

I appreciate your words. I think we all insert opinions, before, during, and after any answers to the original poster’s questions…

A muzzleloader at 500? I’d have passed too. 🙂

Doc_Holidude

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.