Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Well finally had the time to get it out and take it apart clean and give it the once over.

Overall pretty happy with what I have but have a few questions.

1. Looks like sling swivels are not original or have been cut. Not a big deal.

2. Appears to have a steel trigger guard and floor plate. Would this be correct for 1955?

According to Rule book should be first year made of the Monte Carlo featherweight in 243??

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Last edited by ldg397; 07/01/22.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That sure is a sweetheart. BTM metal should be aluminum. The 243 fwt came out in '55, just like so many of the others. First year of the montecarlo is '52. Yours could have had either or: Low comb or montecarlo with aluminum butt plate. As you noted, it should have sling "swivels", not sling swivel studs. Those are aftermarket. Nice for hunting with, but not original to the rifle.. Thanks for sharing Ldg. When are you going to take it to the range? We want range report!! ha ha.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
The bad news the leupold has some issues I think it has a weird reflection in the bell looked like a crack, but no sign of crack or scratch and is still clear. Magnification ring is also weird clicks instead of smooth. Will probably have to send back to leupold just to be sure. I sign of damage on the outside of the scope.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ldg397
The bad news the leupold has some issues I think it has a weird reflection in the bell looked like a crack, but no sign of crack or scratch and is still clear. Magnification ring is also weird clicks instead of smooth. Will probably have to send back to leupold just to be sure. I sign of damage on the outside of the scope.

Yeah, it sounds like that Leupold has more issues than I normally see. Generally they just don't track for schidt. Good idea to send that one in, but they will probably send you a new Freedom in its place. Good luck with it though.. Gosh dang, those new Leupolds are looking worse and worse. Kind of like an old 90's Bushnell Banner and probably don't track any better either!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That sure is a sweetheart. BTM metal should be aluminum. The 243 fwt came out in '55, just like so many of the others. First year of the montecarlo is '52. Yours could have had either or: Low comb or montecarlo with aluminum butt plate. As you noted, it should have sling "swivels", not sling swivel studs. Those are aftermarket. Nice for hunting with, but not original to the rifle.. Thanks for sharing Ldg. When are you going to take it to the range? We want range report!! ha ha.
I don’t have Rule handy but I seem to recall that the 243 fw is an oddball and was only available in MonteCarlo; not sure if that was first year only or for the entire run.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I don’t have Rule handy but I seem to recall that the 243 fw is an oddball and was only available in MonteCarlo; not sure if that was first year only or for the entire run.

Yes, you are correct Ak. Good catch. According to Rule, they started the "phase out" of the low comb stock in 1955. According to Rule: "The 243 win was offered only in the Monte Carlo version for all of its various styles". Page 222

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice rifle. My own .243 is a standard and about as nice a rifle as they come. Jealous of yours now too!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
the Leupold scope has life time warranty just send scope into Leupold they will fix it free does not matter who owns it first or last.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pete53
the Leupold scope has life time warranty just send scope into Leupold they will fix it free does not matter who owns it first or last.
Pipe dream. They will replace with a lesser scope in a matte finish. I agree though. He should send it in and let us know what they do.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 58 invisible), 3,208 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.