Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
ldg397 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
What would be the most your willing to pay. Featherweight in .243. Original finish metal and stock honest wear on stock has some scratches metal looks 90-95% or better. Has a gloss leupold.

I already have one but mine isn’t original stock it has been cut. Looking to “upgrade”

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was willing to go as high as $1400 CA for an excellent 1954 Winchester M70 FW in 308 that never had a scope mounted on it.

All the screws were very clean, blue near perfect, a couple safe kisses in the stock, overall about 97%, if you rated it critically. But then again I'm not afraid of condition. smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Too many questions in my mind as to what the rifle looks like, what the year is etc. Need more info to opine.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
L
ldg397 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
The year is 1955 243 featherweight 90-95% metal original finish metal and wood. Wood has minimal wear except for one larger scratch on the side by the action. Has a leupold scoped no missing parts appears to be all original.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
243 featherweight's are not very easy to find. If price is acceptable, i would grab it, especially since it has aluminum buttplate.

Last edited by robertacabin; 05/06/22.
IC B2

L
ldg397 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Olgrouser is about right on what they are asking.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ldg397
The year is 1955 243 featherweight 90-95% metal original finish metal and wood. Wood has minimal wear except for one larger scratch on the side by the action. Has a leupold scoped no missing parts appears to be all original.

What "Leupold"? An M8 4x, older VariX III 3.5-10x40, vx1, etc. etc.. A leupold will add to the value if it's in good condition, but how much depends on what model it is.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay here's another FW this time a 53, in 92-95% condition crowned with a Leupold VX1 2x7.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I paid $1100 for the rifle alone, and later installed the scope that is worth about $300. The seller was motivated and threw the sling into the deal. That about look like what you're getting for your money?

PS. The rifle is a shooter!

Last edited by olgrouser; 05/06/22. Reason: to avoid confusion

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Apparently you’ve been shopping where BSA shops.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Hell yes..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

L
ldg397 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Pretty close to that but with a little more wear on the stock but almost identical otherwise.

I know my 61 featherweight 243 with a cut stock shoots great also.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Did they make any post-64 models in 1955? grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
🤔

L
ldg397 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by mathman
Did they make any post-64 models in 1955? grin

You got me!

Love pre-64s

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pretty close to that but with a little more wear on the stock but almost identical otherwise.

I know my 61 featherweight 243 with a cut stock shoots great also.

Not a lot of people answered your question as to what it was worth. You also didn't answer my question as to what "Leupold" is on it. You say the rifle is just like the one that someone here posted a pic of. If it's a low comb, it's not going to be worth as much if I were buying it. I much prefer a montecarlo for scope use. Those low combs were meant for iron sights, not a scope mounted a foot off the barrel and receiver. Sorry dude, but that is hideous. All joking aside, I'm assuming you passed because you thought $1,400 was too much. Again, it depends on what Leupold was on it. It could have been a $400 scope and then the actual rifle would be $1,000.00, which would be a bargain. Yeah, I just sold a Leupold that came with a pre 64 fwt. It was a leupold and doing Leupold things, so I got rid of it. Leupold guys don't mind that they have weird tendencies. I also just bought a leupold scope at a pawn shop recently for $200, that I can turn around and sell for $450.00, but you have to know what they are worth. Your typical M8 4x is not going to bring much. BTDT too..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

It’s bullshit AK…. grin

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

It’s bullshit AK…. grin

Damn, I just spit out my good coffee!!! If it makes you guys feel better, I've been passing on a lot of ratty ones too. Damn 1959 30-06 fwt with no finish on the floor plate and refinished stock for $1,200.00 yesterday. A 270 std wt with a damn brake added for $1,100.00. That was hideous!!! 2 other pre 64's at the shop I bought my new Tikka 22-250 saturday. One had the stock cut with recoil pad added. I spotted that a mile away. The guy asked if I wanted to look at it and I said, "no, the stock has been cut and shortened and that pad looks like schidt. Really has no collector value now".... He didn't seem too happy about that. The other one, the barrel was obviously re-blued. They wanted $1,100.00 for it. I would have been much happier with the XTR featherweight 243 win that had one of the most beautiful stocks I've seen. Looked custom with very nice grain, but it was factory. That rifle was made in '82 and they wanted $1,100.00 for it. I always ask shop owners if they have pre 64's, but most say they are getting harder to find again... That means prices are undoubtedly going up...

BSA MAGA
L
ldg397 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Funny you posted on this old thread. I couldn’t take it looking at it every time I went back to that store. I picked it up the same day you posted this, hopefully will get it cleaned up this weekend and get some pictures posted.

Last edited by ldg397; 06/24/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Funny you posted on this old thread. I couldn’t take it looking at it every time I went back to that store. I picked it up the same day you posted this, hopefully will get it cleaned up this weekend and get some pictures posted.

Cool. I look forward to seeing it buddy..

BSA MAGA
L
ldg397 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Well finally had the time to get it out and take it apart clean and give it the once over.

Overall pretty happy with what I have but have a few questions.

1. Looks like sling swivels are not original or have been cut. Not a big deal.

2. Appears to have a steel trigger guard and floor plate. Would this be correct for 1955?

According to Rule book should be first year made of the Monte Carlo featherweight in 243??

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Last edited by ldg397; 07/01/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That sure is a sweetheart. BTM metal should be aluminum. The 243 fwt came out in '55, just like so many of the others. First year of the montecarlo is '52. Yours could have had either or: Low comb or montecarlo with aluminum butt plate. As you noted, it should have sling "swivels", not sling swivel studs. Those are aftermarket. Nice for hunting with, but not original to the rifle.. Thanks for sharing Ldg. When are you going to take it to the range? We want range report!! ha ha.

BSA MAGA
L
ldg397 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
The bad news the leupold has some issues I think it has a weird reflection in the bell looked like a crack, but no sign of crack or scratch and is still clear. Magnification ring is also weird clicks instead of smooth. Will probably have to send back to leupold just to be sure. I sign of damage on the outside of the scope.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The bad news the leupold has some issues I think it has a weird reflection in the bell looked like a crack, but no sign of crack or scratch and is still clear. Magnification ring is also weird clicks instead of smooth. Will probably have to send back to leupold just to be sure. I sign of damage on the outside of the scope.

Yeah, it sounds like that Leupold has more issues than I normally see. Generally they just don't track for schidt. Good idea to send that one in, but they will probably send you a new Freedom in its place. Good luck with it though.. Gosh dang, those new Leupolds are looking worse and worse. Kind of like an old 90's Bushnell Banner and probably don't track any better either!!

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That sure is a sweetheart. BTM metal should be aluminum. The 243 fwt came out in '55, just like so many of the others. First year of the montecarlo is '52. Yours could have had either or: Low comb or montecarlo with aluminum butt plate. As you noted, it should have sling "swivels", not sling swivel studs. Those are aftermarket. Nice for hunting with, but not original to the rifle.. Thanks for sharing Ldg. When are you going to take it to the range? We want range report!! ha ha.
I don’t have Rule handy but I seem to recall that the 243 fw is an oddball and was only available in MonteCarlo; not sure if that was first year only or for the entire run.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I don’t have Rule handy but I seem to recall that the 243 fw is an oddball and was only available in MonteCarlo; not sure if that was first year only or for the entire run.

Yes, you are correct Ak. Good catch. According to Rule, they started the "phase out" of the low comb stock in 1955. According to Rule: "The 243 win was offered only in the Monte Carlo version for all of its various styles". Page 222

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice rifle. My own .243 is a standard and about as nice a rifle as they come. Jealous of yours now too!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the Leupold scope has life time warranty just send scope into Leupold they will fix it free does not matter who owns it first or last.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pete53
the Leupold scope has life time warranty just send scope into Leupold they will fix it free does not matter who owns it first or last.
Pipe dream. They will replace with a lesser scope in a matte finish. I agree though. He should send it in and let us know what they do.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 19 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 893 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.