Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Educate me. Do barrel swivels prevent line twist? I don't believe it.

Ater reading a recent post about he re about "lsmall creek ljght sliining rod set ups", I watched a few youtube videos about the topic. Seemed like all the fisherman used barrel swives with snaps, "to prevent line twist.". I started wondering how many fishermen use them, and, why? I stopped using tbem, as even with in-line spinners lures ( Mepps, Panther Martin for example), I sti!l had line twist.

I used to use them on light spinning rod / lure set ups (<12-14# line max but usually 4#-8# line), but still had line twist, with spinners and spoon for "lures.". Obviously, grank baits and hard lures with diving lips are not going to twist unless trolled/ pulled to fast, of if damaged.

I have used brass barrel swivels ( with snaps) and stainless ball bearing swivels ( with snaps). Neither prevented line twist. Why would they? If you make a cast ( call it 50 feet to 100 feet, or longer with heavier lures), the line itself is the item of least resistance, and the entire length of line (mono, in my case) is free to twist. There is NO keel on the line to provide twist resistance, unless you put one on to BE the " anti-twisting" keel or weight ( especially for trolling).espe

I either tie the line directly to the lure ( or ring), or use a simple snap for convenience. I WILL uses a light wire leader when fishing for pickerel, but that is to prevent teeth from biting through the line to minimize lure loss).

So, are swivels with or without snaps just a waste of money? I think so. I just don't get how they can prevent line twist, when the line itself does not provide a counter-rotating force to allow the swivel to work, What magic power holds the front end of barrel swivel rigid, to allow the rear half of the swivel to...swivel? The 50-100 foot+ of mono???? Not for me at least.

With a spinner lure on swivel snap, with 10 feet or so of line out, as you drag the lure through the water in front of you, you can see the barrel swivel/snap rotate in front of you eyes. I don't get it.

Educate me please.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
the line twist comes from your reel

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Primarily when trolling, yes they do help prevent line twist.
For various reasons a lure can become turned to the point where the main line becomes hooked or tangled in a hook.
This causes the lure to move through the water at an odd angle and spin or rotate, twisting the line.
A swivel above that point will relieve that twist.
When casting, this problem is minor because at the end of your retrieve you lift the lure out of the water and fix the tangle.
When trolling any distance, it can become a real problem.
Most of my fishing involves trolling, and I use a leader with a swivel between the main line and the leader.

[

Last edited by Anaconda; 04/21/22.

MOLON LABE
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[Linked Image]

MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Get the ones with ball bearings, they work well.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Anaconda
[Linked Image]

Yep these little micros are what I run braid-to-fluro leader above spinners and just about everything else.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
My original post was about swivels on spinner lures. Crankbaits and lipped "Rapala minnow" style lures don't rotate ( unless trolled too fast) , as their design kees them "centered."

I.don't understand how swivels (snap or non-snap swivels, even ball bearing design). keep spinner lures (ie, Panther Martin, Rooster Tails, Aglia, Vibrax Blue Fox etc, not spinnerbaits) from twisting/rotating. There is no opposing force (like a keel) to keep the line FROM the swivel TO the reel from twisting.

Why use them With these lures? Just a waste of money, and puts distacting hardware near the lure.

I.just don't know why people use swivels on spinner lures.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I’ve always figured that the spinner is causing more twist in the line than anything else in the system so if there is a swivel between it & the reel that’s eliminating the majority of the tendency for line to twist.

Excepting the circumstance where someone is retrieving on a spinning reel while drag is going out (which is a fast way to a rat’s nest) what source of line twist exists between the swivel & the reel?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter

If they aren't ball-bearing, they are worthless.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Same question about ball bearing swivels: What causes the line to NOT twist, even with a ball bearing swivel? There is no force keeping the ball bearing swivel "locked in place" ( like having a keel) that would then allow the swivel to release the twist /torque from the spinner.

Drag a spinner lure ( Panther Martin, Rooster Tail, Aglia etc) that is attached to a ball bearing swivel snap in the water. You will see the whole swivel snap ( and the spinner lure) SPIN. There is NOTHING keeping the front end of swivel in place, to allow the back end ( lure side) to allow the twist to dissipate. The line twists.

Are we being duped by using swivels on spinner lures? Yes.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A quality swivel like the P-line three barrel pictured above spins so effortlessly, no rudder is necessary.

If my choice is five minutes a year un-twisting line or $5 a year on swivels, I’ll use the swivels.

I have spent many hours trolling and brought thousands of trout to the boat.
Gears choices are a product of experience.
Swivels are a no brainer

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by stxhunter

If they aren't ball-bearing, they are worthless.

And even then they don't prevent twist, but they do reduce it a bit.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
They sure allow free action in my Cleo’s, daredevils, Johnson silver minnows, etc

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
None of you have answered the question, "What force keeps the line from twisting?" So I will: nothing. There is nothing whatever that "holds" the line against rotational force.

Do this: tie on your Mepps with a swivel. Hold the line a yard or so in one hand and spin the lure with the other while you watch the swivel. The entire swivel will rotate, along with the line. If you want to see the line REALLY twist up, clamp the rear loop of your best swivel in a drill and repeat this test.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The real solution is to do all of one's fishing on the equator. Alternate casts into the northern and the southern hemisphere to cancel out twist. grin

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 5sdad
The real solution is to do all of one's fishing on the equator. Alternate casts into the northern and the southern hemisphere to cancel out twist. grin

All well and good if you have a compass along. What happens if I accidentally cast east instead of south?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 20 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.