24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking really hard on ordering one of these in .30-30Win...
Probably gonna run me about $2800 to get it to the FFL I use.
And of course,I don't have a set of dies for the damned thing.
I really wish they offered the Ackley version. I always liked fire
forming brass to get used to the rifle.
I could go with a .30-40 Krag for a little more velocity but loaded
ammo and brass are a bitch to find these days and there's the dies.
I'm curious, anyone own one of these C.Sharps rifles?
I already have one of their buffalo guns in 40-90 and it shoots alright.
My Pop bought it and I haven't shot anything but TrailBoss loads with
it. Hell... I don't even know what model it is but it sure is a pretty thing.
I thought about getting one of those Uberti,Courtney Stalking rifles in
.303 British but I thought... It would be strange hunting with an Italian,
Cowboy/African gun,with a Limey cartridge,in Texas.
Sometimes I think , I think too much...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've had a CSA 1885 in .30-40 for a couple decades. Shot great but to me seemed too heavy for a .30-40 so, in a weak moment, I sent it to Classic Barrels and had them rebore it to .50-110 WCF. It's not too heavy for a .50!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You could always re chamber to 30-30 Ackley. I just saw a pile of new 30-40 brass locally.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I would go back and give the Uberti a 2nd look. The Courtney is a seriously nice gun.

For the C Sharps, 45/90 be more my speed, you got that covered. or a carbine in something smaller to hunt, like a low wall.

Speaking of low wall and 1885 in general, Winchester is back in the game with nice guns from Japan. .

You should not be worrying about handloading. That is pretty much a given for most of the above. The brass and laoded ammo is available if you know where to look for all three 30/30, 30/40 and 303. I got 60 hits on gun broker for 30-40 brass. No problem.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
You probably dont want to hear this, but; if you can afford a $3000 gun then the availability of a Redding competition seating die might be a plus. I think so. There is a lot of interest in shooting the 303. That is global interest. I cannot speak for Texas. Redding makes dies for the 303 Brit. Nothing for 30/30 or 30/40 AFAIK.

I would never say anyone was thinking to much. I made my share of bone head impulse buys. Thinking is good. Nothing wrong with a red neck either. Mine has lightened up a bit as of late.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a used C. Sharps in .30-40 a few years ago in Tulsa. Other than a few handloads from my Browning / Miroku 1895 in the same caliber, all of my shooting has been with cast bullets and AA 5744. Love the gun for offhand shooting; I don't consider it heavy at all and it has great balance and a nice trigger.

I've handled a few of the Uberti Courtneys. They look nice, but they seem to have trouble matching the fore end wood with the buttstock.

(And I agree that it's not that hard to find .30-40 components.)

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bart,

Just go ahead and get the Sharps in .30-40. You'll not regret it. If you do decide to grab it, I can help with some brass.

Midway shows Redding Deluxe 3-die sets for .30-40 in stock as of today. I'm using an old set of RCBS and they make some good loads. I have a TC Contender Carbine in .30-40 and love it. I don't try to make it a .308 Win and it kills just fine. I won the Prairie Dog shoot at a Gathering at Crossfireoops' one year with it with Hornady 165gr BTSP over 48gr of H-4350. Not a speed demon, but a real accurate load.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bart, take the .40-90 and start loading with Lord Black. Maybe even some duplex loads. That hoss will run, trust me.

The .30-30 in a ‘85 will run also. You can load -gasp- pointy bullets and reach out a ways if you need to. Reloader 15 will be your buddy. Good luck with the die hunt. Being a single shot you might do well with a Lee collet die.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Being a single shot you might do well with a Lee collet die.
The only experience I've had with Lee dies is with a set of 38/357's. The expander ball,in the sizer die was OVAL in shape.
Kinda turned me off when it comes to Lee anything ya know.
I'll think about the 30-40. I guess my thought process on the 30/30 is,loaded ammo is so plentiful.
And... I'll definitely be shooting pointy bullets. I have a couple of pounds of Ramshot Big Game
I was thinking about starting out with... After I shoot it a little bit with factory stuff. But...
I'm getting ahead of myself. I guess I'll call them to see how long the wait is. I'll let y'all know...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bart, I'm not a fan of Lee dies in general, but the collet die is a different critter. One of those turned a .30-30 from a nice piece for shooting shotgun style patterns into sub MOA. My RCBS dies were cranking out some seriously crooked rounds.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Dan
My first choice in dies are Redding. I like their presses too.
I have 3 different RCBS presses and,for some reason,the Reddding
is just better. I know... I know... Opinions are like @ssholes...
Anyway... That's some damned good shoot'n. What was it?
25... 50 yards? wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was 100 yards you silly rabbit. Like it says on the picture. laugh

I like Redding as well and haven't purchased any RCBS dies since that problem showed up. BUT, the cheapest solution at the time, that time being when times were tuff and cash was short, was to buy a Lee Collet Die.

I am..........disturbed.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a c sharps 38/55. Very nice rifle. Didn’t use it much so I sold it after killing one antelope with it.

NRA Patron
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I'd love to have one of those Lil Dakota rifles.
But for that kind if money,I'd buy a lefty NULA
in.222 Rem with a fast twist barrel. Make little
varmints explode. Hell... I'd really like to find
a Dakota Model 10 for under 3 grand...
THAT would make my steeder pick out. laugh

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
169 members (444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 24 invisible), 1,997 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.