Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hard to beat a tacoma. That said an older Jeep cherokee gets around the woods pretty good

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Izzy 1 and Izzy 2 (bought yesterday for $2k)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Izzy 1 is sitting a bit low because she has #800 of fertilizer in her trunk.

1998 and 2001 (both V6 gas manuals)

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like a solid score, Cash.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Never found anything that serves this purpose better than a full
Size k 5 blazer
Turns real short v8 power lots of room for two grown men remove the seat and I can sleep on the back
And haul lots of gear
Nice flat dash can lay a rifle across it
A gun case slid between the seat and center console
makes a nice secure place for a rifle to ride
Break down in a small jerk water town and the parts store will hav the parts on hand as it shares everything with 1/2 ton pickups.
I am on my second one. These are getting rediculess expencive now days but beaters can be had and made berry reliable for not that much money
I do have an 02 forerunner nothing wrong with it it’s very capable. But couldn’t hold a candle to a k5 it just to cramped

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A '70 K5 Blazer was the worst vehicle that I've ever owned and I vowed to never buy another Chevrolet anything. The thing rode like a short coupled lumber wagon and used gas like it had a hole in the tank.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by Teal
Tacoma of some sort

pre Tacoma

late 80's early 90's 4 banger & manual transmission/short bed

Exactly this^^^ Doesn't get much better.. However, I'd say early 80's with the straight axle. 85 was the best combination when you could get the 22RE (fuel injection).

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I picked up a 1998 Isuzu Trooper manual 4-5 months ago on a trade.

It is an absolute monster.

Best 4x4 I have ever owned (and I have owned a bunch... including Land Cruisers.).

$3k or $3,400 I forget.

Manual is always superior for rough work IMHO.

Good score, Cash. I keep an eye out for something like that for a beater but ain't nothing priced like a beater anymore.

She will get an exoskeleton... roof winch etc.

TOUGH RIGS!

Toyota wheels interface... so my 1986 Taco and Izzy can share...

Disregard the logo on the door... young man that did my tube work got carried away with red paint and a logo. Final finish will be a flat black rubber (3M 5200).

Great truck, but an 86 isn’t a Taco. The Tacoma’s came out in 95.5 as a mid year replacement for the pickups. I’ve had both and absolutely love Toyota’s.

Exactly. Calling it a "taco" is funny. Damn sure pre tacoma.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’ve been curious about Nissan Xterras. Gas mileage is pretty bad, but everything else checks the boxes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
I’ve been curious about Nissan Xterras. Gas mileage is pretty bad, but everything else checks the boxes.

Buddy has one and swears by it. Has had it for a long time and taken it a lot of places. Said when he went to the Ramen dealership and asked if they were ever going to bring them back, that they told him everybody that has one asked the same thing. But that no, they weren't coming back.

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still trying to wear out my 94 Landcruiser. Drive it 80mph to Moab for 10 hrs, bounce it around for a week in 4lo, drive it home at 80mph for 10 hrs.

Drive it 5hrs east to bird hunt. Put hundreds of miles of rough gravel and scoria roads while checking new spots, drive it home again. Up over the two track passes around here chasing grouse and elk, etc, etc.

Fitting two elk in the back is easy with some tarps and knife work, one fits in the round no problem. Two large dog crates fit side by side in the back, a third sideways behind the front seats.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Windfall
A '70 K5 Blazer was the worst vehicle that I've ever owned and I vowed to never buy another Chevrolet anything. The thing rode like a short coupled lumber wagon and used gas like it had a hole in the tank.
It'd have to be pretty damn bad to beat my 89 S-10 Blazer. By far the biggest piece of shyt I ever owned. Haven't owned another GM since and won't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you go the 4Runner / Tacoma route pay attention to frame rot. If it's a 3rd Gen 4Runner plan on spending at least $1k to have someone do a timing belt / water pump kit. The 4.0 engines in the later models are very good and don't have a timing belt to fool with. But nothing wrong with the 3.4 and serviced properly will go 300k +

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
If you go the 4Runner / Tacoma route pay attention to frame rot. If it's a 3rd Gen 4Runner plan on spending at least $1k to have someone do a timing belt / water pump kit. The 4.0 engines in the later models are very good and don't have a timing belt to fool with. But nothing wrong with the 3.4 and serviced properly will go 300k +

There is kit with belt, water pump,hoses. Cost me $400, installed, when my 2004 Tacoma hit 100K which is recommended. We sold our first Tacoma with 275K miles on it. Present one has 170K miles on it. So far, the kit, struts, front brake pads, plugs, oil changes, air filers and tires are the only service it has had.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Never found anything that serves this purpose better than a full
Size k 5 blazer

I liked my 83 K5 once I put a 350 in it, the 305 was a dog. Had a 4 speed in it, which I didn't see many of. It was a great hunting rig, and that's what I bought it for. The only issue was you couldn't pass a gas station. Had the typical K5 cancer and eventually developed so many electrical gremlins I parked it. I had less than $2500 in it even replacing the motor and it lasted about 15 years. Sold it a couple years ago for $600.

The one I really miss is my 92 K1500 Blazer, paid $600 for it from the Air Force at a government auction. It was missing the instrument cluster and a battery, that cost another $200 and I had it running. Drove it for a couple of years daily, then let someone with a wad of cash talk me out of it since I still had my K5. The TBI 5.7L was way more reliabe than my K5 and I got about 17 mpg highway average.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.