Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Drinking my coffee watching Fox and Friends, the have the Weather Babe
at The Derby.

For years I've though it would be cool to go.
Look at the people, drink a mint julip, watch the ponies run.
(Never even seen a horse race before)

My guess is I'd walk all over see what there was to see in no time,
And be bored.
But, it's Americana. Also guess as much as I'd like to go,
I'd never want to do it again. Lotta experiences like that, did it, got the
T-shirt, enjoyed it, once was enough.

Anyone ever go?
More than once?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For 20 years or so, I lived about two miles from Churchill Downs, and never, not even once, went to the Derby, or any other horse race. Just didn't (and still don't) give a rat's azz about it all. I went to the track one time, when Mom and other cancer survivors were treated to a free day at the track. I spent all my time watching people and not the horses (good for coyote bait only, in my eyes).

Living in Louisville doesn't have much going for it, even if you like horses, and I do not like horses. I'm glad I moved out of that pestilential schitthole.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pestilential... impressive word.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
At a lot of event type things, the people watching is the best part.
Often wonder how much entertainment I provide?🤔

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Oldest daughter and husband used to go to the KY Derby every year. They and their kids enjoyed it back then. Daughter and granddaughter liked to do the special dress-up and big hat thing and seeing all the celebrities. All but their youngest are grown and out of the house now, with one son in his senior year there at U of L and granddaughter in her freshman year at UK. Think it probably got to be less and less of an special family event for them and the kids as they got older.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I’d love to go to the Derby. Seems like a pretty cool American tradition to me. I have been to the track, which is a really neat place, just never during the race.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
It was raining there this a.m. Might be a mud race.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The proper role of horses is sitting next to the potatoes and gravy.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dillonbuck: I used to "hot-walk" race horses at Longacres Racetrack when I was a teenager.
A bigger bag of scumbags, druggies, drunkards and malcontents are not to be found, when considering horse owners, jockeys, race officials, trainers and gamblers!
And for some of those scumbags to use "the whip" on thoroughbred horses well I sayfuck them all and have never "paid" to enter one of those oval dens of evil.
Never will.
I have the slightest of hope that the cretins that make a living off of gambling and horse racing there in Kentucky are a cut above the cretins I became familiar with way back when?
I don't even care to watch horse whipping on T.V. let alone pay to see it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The society of people who buy, sell, breed, and race thoroughbreds has never appealed to me. Having spent many hours in the saddle in some rugged terrain , on the back of some incredible horse flesh, I can appreciate the athleticism of these horses. Beautiful animals!

IC B3

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Had a friend. Started a fence company. Worked hard. Married into a politically connected family. His FIL was mayor of Fort Worth. As retirement age approached, he bought a farm south of Benbrook, TX and began raising race horses. Beautiful place with astounding horses. My connection to him was his FIL's grandson. He and I were very close friends. I used to putter around in a Piper J-3 Cub and would occasionally land on his farm to say hello. Very nice cordial people.
I believe his best showing at the Kentucky derby was a second place finish. I do know there's a horse racing circuit where owners travel around the country to various tracks to race. He had several "wins" at lesser known tracks. One simply does not enter a horse into the Kentucky Derby without a history.
Personally I haven't been to the "Derby" but have attended races in Florida, NM, and Arizona. There's a lot of pomp and circumstance and it's a long, boring process waiting for the big races to begin. In all honesty, to me the greyhound races were a lot more fun!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by troublesome82
The society of people who buy, sell, breed, and race thoroughbreds has never appealed to me. Having spent many hours in the saddle in some rugged terrain , on the back of some incredible horse flesh, I can appreciate the athleticism of these horses. Beautiful animals!

THIS

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
For 20 years or so, I lived about two miles from Churchill Downs, and never, not even once, went to the Derby, or any other horse race. Just didn't (and still don't) give a rat's azz about it all. I went to the track one time, when Mom and other cancer survivors were treated to a free day at the track. I spent all my time watching people and not the horses (good for coyote bait only, in my eyes).

Living in Louisville doesn't have much going for it, even if you like horses, and I do not like horses. I'm glad I moved out of that pestilential schitthole.

+1. Never went either, and the best thing that could happen to KY is if they nuked Louisville from orbit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Careful with the mint juleps. They'll sneak up on you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like going to the State Fair once every coupla years, sitting around getting drunk betting on the ponies.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I went to the Kentucky Derby a couple of times when I was younger. My dad was a horse racing fan. While it was fun, Derby Day is crowded, overpriced, and like any other world famous sporting event it's overblown to the point where it's not fun. You've got to park a long way away then fight your way through way too many people to pay way too much to get into a place where you're so pack into that you can't really see the race. You get to wait way too long in line to buy overpriced food and drinks and when it's over you get to do all the fighting in reverse to get out of there.

If you're one of the hoity toity than can afford the limo service to the door, private boxes, and waiters to bring your drinks then it might be fun. If you're mingling with the masses like me then it's kind of miserable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy Moly what a longshot win!

80-1 Rich Strike wins!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Whoa, somebody cleaned up.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Great Race. What a finish.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That was a great race and win.

Life is good live it while you can.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.