Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JoeMama Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What is a reasonable range of scores for somebody in their sixties shooting Sporting Clays.

Not a great shooter but the typical duffer who picks up and shoots a shotgun once a month and hunts rabbits regularly.

I know it is an impossible question but is 25%-to-50% hits on their fourth session a reasonable range.

All the usual caveats, the gun fits the shooter, appropriate ammo and so-forth.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think the course is also a factor, as much as anything else. Some are fairly easy and some are very difficult.
I shot a course they had just set up for a regional shoot a few years ago and thought I might be going blind. 😂 The targets were hard and fast. Many trick stations.
Have also shot at a Ducks Unlimited shoot that I thought was too easy.
I wouldn’t worry about your score, just shoot. It is supposed to be fun isn’t it. Just my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The problem with sporting Clays is similar to all other forms of shooting and competition. Sporting clays originated to reproduce targets that would simulate bird shooting in the field. The idea was to make you a better bird shooter and has since morphed into a gaming and competitive sport. Few people shoot sporting clays with a field gun and targets have changed to stuff you would never see a real bird do.

It is still fun, but what % of targets you would hit is hard to evaluate without looking at the course layout and positions of the targets in reference to you and where you are shooting.

This is what real shooting should look like...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I've shot one sporting clays range. i was always more of a rifle shooter but first time i broke 23/50 last time a few years ago i broke 38//50 Winchester 101 skeet model was the gun used

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Joe, not a bad start depending on the course difficulty. One thing to check is eye dominance. I never had a problem until last hunting season and now have come to realize sometimes my left eye is taking over. Have to smudge the left lens to make up for it. A new leaning curve, but it is getting better. Good idea to find out ahead

As far as Sporting Clays in America. The Brits started the game long before it came here. The two driving forces in America where Bob Brister and Gerald Quinn who was a Remington employee. And yes, in the beginning it was more directed to normal hunting shots and the clubs didn't know different. Then our shooters began competing on the world stage and found out the rest of the European countries played a different game. A more challenging game; if we were going to compete, we had to play the game at a higher level. Today on the whole, U.S. shooters are the best or the equal.

The innovation of automatic electric traps from the old manual, changed the game more than anything else.

There are courses all over that will throw targets that more simulate hunting....and more than a few have multiple stations that allow the shooter to make it easy or difficult . Depending on what game they want to play. The game is there to be played at what every level one desires. And even in the more competitive tournaments, most likely you will find at least 50% of the targets will be inside of 30 yards and mimic many of the shots one would find on a skeet field.

Addition: As far as the game of SC not simulating hunting, I know a few top level shooters you would not want to bet against in the field. If they can consistently break the hard stuff on a course....A Pheasant, Duck or Quail out in the open is pretty much a gimme.

Last edited by battue; 05/08/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I’m not much of a “wingshooter”. I’m cross eye dominant” (left eye dominant but shoot right-handed).

Because of this, I have a REALLY hard time picking up targets (seeing where they’re coming from). I kind of “cheat”. I usually make an effort to go last or near-last in a group, when I’m shooting. I don’t shoot sporting clays, much.

A few friends and myself did a “charity shoot”, a few years back. None of us shoot much sporting clays, but one of the guys and his son are really good in the field, and one of the guys is a serious skeet shooter (not a champ, but shoots a lot, and goes down to the world shoot in San Antonio every year).

Amazingly enough, myself and the father/son all shot low/mid 70’s, and the skeet shooter was in mid 60’s. (Out of 100). NONE of us had ever shot the course, before.

I think the skeet guy was so used to shooting the same thing, over and over, on the skeet field (and he doesn’t hunt), that the variety of directions/speed confused him.

I know I would have done MUCH worse if I had gone 1st or 2nd, each time, with my eye issues. Familiarity with the course, knowing where the bird is coming from, obviously makes a huge difference. I’m in my forties, but eyesight is def getting worse.

I would think somewhere around 50 would be completely respectable, if you don’t have the luxury of knowing what’s coming up at each station. Lord knows I’ve dove hunted plenty of times and hit WAY less than 50% of my shots..

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Every course is different and how they set up those individual courses can change.

One of my favorites does a NSCA shoot once a month and the throwers and positions are a lot more difficult on those days, then a non competitive day.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IMO - 30% for what you described would be ok.

There are guys I know of back in the day that would easily shoot upper 80s to low 90s - on their home course. Anywhere else was 35, MAYBE.

For me, shoot as many courses as you can to arrive at real average for you and your skill.

I never looked at SC as either training nor substitute for game shooting BUT when duck hunting with friends, i seem to shoot 1/3 as much for the same meat on the ground.

Me

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
As others have said, a lot depends on the course you shoot. One place I shoot at has two courses, a recreational course and a tournament course. Most courses have at least a couple of presentations that are very, very difficult.

As far as what you "should" be hitting... I have a friend who goes with me occasionally, probably half a dozen times a year. He'll generally hit around 35%. I usually shoot about 85% on the average recreational course. I've been doing it for years, last few years only average probably once a month.

I don't get too technical. If you ask me what choke tube(s) I have in my gun I wouldn't be able to tell you (unless I'm using my bird gun with fixed chokes in which case it's 1/2 and VZ. I also don't get real worked up about what ammo I'm using. I just take all the shots presented with whatever choke and ammo I'm using.

When I started shooting this stuff back in the '90's, everybody started with their trigger-finger hand below their belt. Now I see a lot of people shooting with a mounted gun, like trap or skeet. I don't do that (unless I'm shooting trap or skeet.)

One thing for sure, shoot sporting clays regularly and it will make you a better shot on birds for sure.

Mathew 22: 37-39

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
no way to know for sure.. What I tell new shooters is " if I gave you a box of shells, and you brought back 12 doves, you would be really happy". That is approximately 50%.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As mentioned, course difficulty is a significant factor as is the shooter's understanding of their true skill level. A typical duffer will probably range in the 40 percentile on a charity event type course on down to the 20 percentile on a more challenging registered course. At least that is what I've seen over the years.

What is more important than score is using the opportunity to analyze your performance as to your strengths and weaknesses then improve on them. This will improve your shooting in the field and on the course. The quickest and cheapest way (in the long run) is to take a couple lessons with a good instructor. The price may seem high but you will learn far more than what you learn from a similar amount spent on shells and targets.

As also mentioned, like every other shooting "game", sporting clays has morphed away from its original goals. When I started shooting sporting clays, quail walks were encountered and the duck tower was commonly shot sitting in a boat mounted on springs among other things. Needless to say, those presentations went away for safety reasons which was not a bad thing for the sport. But, the skills learned on the clays course carries over into the game fields and one will not be worse off learning to shoot better.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I saw a HOF Sporting shooter, one who has won it all, post a 71 or 73 in a tournament. Bud was crying about his score, and I not knowing the other was behind me said, "Forget it, XXXX had a 71. He tapped me on the shoulder and laughed while he said, "And I'm proud of it." Also saw him, drop an easy 3 bird in a Make a Break that cost him 10K.

You will learn more from your misses than your hits.....If you are paying attention.

Last edited by battue; 05/09/22.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When shooting practice, the way I look at it and try and shoot it is, if I can break a target with ease, I don't shoot it anymore. When I miss a target, I want to shoot it again and try and figure it out. I have been know to stand at one station and shoot a whole box just a one "A" or "B" target. That is how you get better. The easy birds may make your score care look good but you have not learned how to break the harder birds.
The more different birds you can look at and figure out the better you will be.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I only shoot "Fun" courses, no competition stuff. We have a shoot every Tuesday afternoon from April through October. Plus, we play around on the five stand, trap and skeet ranges on Sunday mornings. I shoot with a bunch of guys who do shoot in competitions and they shoot about 85% on the courses that I shoot. When I first started about 6 years ago, I was shooting about 30%. By the end of that first year, I was shooting 50%. I was stuck on 50% for about another year or so then I worked my way up to 60%, and now I'm at a consistent 70%. If I get on an easier course or I'm having a good day, I'll get up over 80% or 85%, but that's rare.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Few people shoot sporting clays with a field gun and targets have changed to stuff you would never see a real bird do.

Thank you for that statement, it is so true.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What difference does it make, if no club says one can't shoot SC with their field shotgun. Seems to be a personal choice.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
What difference does it make, if no club says one can't shoot SC with their field shotgun. Seems to be a personal choice.

That is only an observation. Of course you can shoot anything you want, it just isn't what it originally started out to be as a shooting discipline. If you shoot most any clays range today, you will have guys screwing chokes in and out, long ported barrels and adjustable stocks. Those guns were designed to meet changing conditions on the current clays range.

I still shoot SC on a regular basis and am one of a few that shoot field guns. Most are shooting Sporting Clays guns.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here I see a variety of shooters and their commitment to SC. The competition crew yes. The purely shoot for fun crew, often not. Then again, many of them go the Beretta SA route and they can be used just as easily for both.

One of the most deadly shooters I know, when it comes to filling a game bag….uses SC to keep in tune. He posts here on occasion.

The continual choke changes are a hoot!

Anyway, welcome back. You always had some interesting firearms for consideration.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like the older guns and continue to hunt with them. 36 grouse last year with 2 inch shells and 19th century guns. No sporting clays course prepares you for the grouse I shoot. I will shoot them on the ground and no SC course stacks any targets on the ground for me to practice...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The real question is "Did you have fun ?" If it's yes---Who cares what the number is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
373 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 38 invisible), 2,044 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.