-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You'd think but not with cold start method I posted above. Embrace the science.

Originally Posted by Hogwild7
If you put Anything in cold oil or fat they will soak up more of it. The goal when deep frying is to seal up the outside with a crust and cook the inside without being greasy. That is done by having the correct temp to start and maintaining that temp during cooking.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
If you put Anything in cold oil or fat they will soak up more of it. The goal when deep frying is to seal up the outside with a crust and cook the inside without being greasy. That is done by having the correct temp to start and maintaining that temp during cooking.

This is “worng”

😂

The “cold start” lasts for about 2 minutes because the burner is on full blast until the oil just begins boiling.

Raw potatoes are hard and don’t absorb oil.

Burner is then reduced to maintain the slow simmer.

Think of it as a “reverse sear” for potatoes

With the thickness of the wedges I cut, if the oil is at say 350° or browning temperature, the potato will be hard, raw, and uncooked in the middle when golden outside

BTW, the recipe was from a Bon Appetite or a Food and Wine magazine and called “1 Hour Fries”

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
In the air fryer - disappointing.
Not a substitute for deep fat by any means, but spraying the food with a bit of oil helps a lot. Wifey does that with wings and it makes a big difference.

We’re not doing fries since we’re both doing keto. Someday!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have sprayed with oil - they still come out "white".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I like the big baking potatoes for fries,they seem to stay firmer.Usually these days I slice them up,season and coat with olive oil.Then I spread them out in a cast iron skillet and bake them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 40-45min.

This is how we've been doing it for decades now--except we usually use a thicker cookie-sheet. Turn them once during the 40-45 minutes to get both sides crispy. Far less trouble than deep-frying, and excellent results.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I like the big baking potatoes for fries,they seem to stay firmer.Usually these days I slice them up,season and coat with olive oil.Then I spread them out in a cast iron skillet and bake them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 40-45min.

This is how we've been doing it for decades now--except we usually use a thicker cookie-sheet. Turn them once during the 40-45 minutes to get both sides crispy. Far less trouble than deep-frying, and excellent results.

Same here since I was a kid. My Mother (Italian) would often use a mix of rosemary and garlic in the olive oil and set the oven to 450. She frowned on ketchup.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I tried the cold oil method, using yellow potatoes, and they turned out great. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

304 members (22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,306
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.