Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
We have a pretty good orchard, but some of the pears are a bit long in the tooth.

Laura caught a sale.

$75+ and they ship free. We bought 5 for $91+/-

https://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/pear-trees/bartlett-pear/145454

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They have other stuff, but the pears were the deal we were hunting (FYI... cross-pollination with other varieties is highly recommended... read their website).

We propagate much... if anyone local is looking for various other stuff (no charge).

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a bunch of Stark bare root apple trees that are doing well. I'm not a fan of spring planting though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age
I have a bunch of Stark bare root apple trees that are doing well. I'm not a fan of spring planting though.
I have had the bare root trees from Stark. NONE of them lived. They were planted in the spring and we got a hot wave and poof !! They were dead. I got 3 trees from Stark brothers this year. 2 didn't make it already. After I got them we had a couple of nights with a hard frost and lots and lots of wind. The 3rd one is still alive only because it is still in the house and came in a pot. I am under the impression that Stark's plants are too fragile to handle difficult weather in the spring and summer. They have a good guarantee but I really want a tree that is stout enough to stand up to some wind, frost and heat.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 05/07/22.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kwg020

I have had the bare root trees from Stark. NONE of them lived. They were planted in the spring and we got a hot wave and poof !! They were dead. I got 3 trees from Stark brothers this year. 2 didn't make it already. After I got them we had a couple of nights with a hard frost and lots and lots of wind. The 3rd one is still alive only because it is still in the house and came in a pot. I am under the impression that Stark's plants are too fragile to handle difficult weather in the spring and summer. They have a good quarantine but I really want a tree that is stout enough to stand up to some wind, frost and heat.

kwg

What part of not a fan of spring planting is confusing? Every one I've planted was in the late fall, all but one are doing well.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Leonard,
Sent you a PM.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C

I have had the bare root trees from Stark. NONE of them lived. They were planted in the spring and we got a hot wave and poof !! They were dead. I got 3 trees from Stark brothers this year. 2 didn't make it already. After I got them we had a couple of nights with a hard frost and lots and lots of wind. The 3rd one is still alive only because it is still in the house and came in a pot. I am under the impression that Stark's plants are too fragile to handle difficult weather in the spring and summer. They have a good quarantine but I really want a tree that is stout enough to stand up to some wind, frost and heat.

kwg

What part of not a fan of spring planting is confusing? Every one I've planted was in the late fall, all but one are doing well.

You seem kinda cocky for a newbie sockpuppet... what gives?

Seasonal planting occurs with zones and temps... and attention.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Leonard,
Sent you a PM.

Copy...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CashisKing

kwg

You seem kinda cocky for a newbie sockpuppet... what gives?

Seasonal planting occurs with zones and temps... and attention.

Whatever you say.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Bought a nice/cute Austrian Pine today.....36" tall.....

Have to fence it in......damm buck deer come in the yard in November

And just thrash the schidtt outta every living tree/bush......

bassturds..........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by tikkanut

bassturds..........

LOL... do NOT put in fruit trees!

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

bassturds..........

at one time I had 200 fruit trees.......

then the water ran out in Utah

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

bassturds..........

at one time I had 200 fruit trees.......

then the water ran out in Utah

Got so dry here, this year, they ate the needles off an Afghan Pine that I had taken the fence ring off of (dragged my feet making a bigger one). Stripped it clean up to 4 feet high.

I knew they’d eat leaves. I knew they’d thrash trees. I DIDN’T know they’d eat pine needles...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had the bare root trees from Stark. NONE of them lived. They were planted in the spring and we got a hot wave and poof !! They were dead. I got 3 trees from Stark brothers this year. 2 didn't make it already. After I got them we had a couple of nights with a hard frost and lots and lots of wind. The 3rd one is still alive only because it is still in the house and came in a pot. I am under the impression that Stark's plants are too fragile to handle difficult weather in the spring and summer. They have a good guarantee but I really want a tree that is stout enough to stand up to some wind, frost and heat.

kwg

There is nothing confusing. I agree. Spring planting has not gone well for me.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Plant Asian pears instead. Way better tasting and they produce like crazy.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Learn some manners [bleep].

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Planted about 8,000 fruit trees last spring........doing great.
Better to plant in the spring. Roots have a chance to develop before the winter.
Check with your state agent or the supplier.
Most tree suppliers turn off the coolers by the end of May.
Cash has planting time right.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 05/08/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SCRooster

Learn some manners [bleep].

Do you kiss grandpa with that mouth, grandma?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Better to plant in the spring. Roots have a chance to develop before the winter.

He has is wrong, but idiots find comfort in groups on this forum it appears.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

He has is wrong, but idiots find comfort in groups on this forum it appears.
Ahhh, another incarnation, Scott?

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Plant Asian pears instead. Way better tasting and they produce like crazy.

Agree on Asians also... we have those well established.

Pears, plums, figs, kiwis, persimmon, apple, Key Lime, blueberry trees and bushs, thorn-less blackberrie specans et al.

Adding peaches etc.... will fill in/replace some.

Key Limes are out (too cold).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 46 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,499
Posts18,452,455
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.