Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have this old safe queen and may sell it. Wondering what it is worth?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Around here, that might fetch $350.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Normal prices $400. Now with the ridiculous stuff going on with gunbroker and the guys joyfully ripping each other off in the classifieds? Who knows lol

Last edited by mjbgalt; 04/27/22.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
From the pixs, it's a nice looking mauser with matching bolt. Here in SoCal, it might go upward of $600 off a dealer shelf. A price quite frankly to an "unknowledgeable" buyer responding to a 'pretty face'! A knowledgeable buyer $300-$400 typically. My only example, bit rougher finish in appearance as built than yours and singularly about the most 'rough as a cob' action I've ever cycled! Hopefully yours better but if not, that could further depreciate value 30%-50% in my estimation. I bought mine decades ago and for a song! Intention to use the stock 'otherwise'. Deciding later to keep it original as acquiring a decent K98k stock & handguard from Numrich @ about $30 to recollection! As I intimated, another era! smile
Good luck
John

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
When you go to peddle that thing, it is almost inevitable that some damn fool will come up with something on the order of, "Them there Spanish rifles are weak and ya'll gonna shoot yer eye out".
In fact, there was such a rumor, and Samco and Interarmco hired an independent laboratory to test them and publish the results to put the rumors to rest. La Coruna '98 clones on average survived to 98,500 pounds before they were destroyed. I have heard what started the rumor, was some garage gunsmiths chambered 1893 and '95 Oviedo and La Coruna Mausers to .308, with predictable failures.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
When you go to peddle that thing, it is almost inevitable that some damn fool will come up with something on the order of, "Them there Spanish rifles are weak and ya'll gonna shoot yer eye out".
In fact, there was such a rumor, and Samco and Interarmco hired an independent laboratory to test them and publish the results to put the rumors to rest. La Coruna '98 clones on average survived to 98,500 pounds before they were destroyed. I have heard what started the rumor, was some garage gunsmiths chambered 1893 and '95 Oviedo and La Coruna Mausers to .308, with predictable failures.

same rumors when they were selling Turk Mausers...

I bought Two of them in Missoula Montana at the Axeman. bunch of them supposedly had bad barrels or needed work...

I picked out two of them that looked in mega good shape.... Gave one to a nephew... and brought the other home...

Took it to a gunsmith and asked him what would it cost for me to fix whatever is supposedly wrong with it..

he takes it back in his shop, and looked it over and brought it back out, and told me it would cost me nothing... because there was nothing wrong with it and the barrel was in super shape...

I paid $75 with no sales tax for the pair of them I bought... to include both had the bayonets on them.. and dated 1945... 29 inch barrel.

or $37.50 apiece..... Tyler's dad took his in to a gunsmith in Billings and got the same response from him.. nothing wrong with it...

I've taken several deer with it.... same load I put thru the 8 x 57s I have ( 3 of them)....35 grains of SR 4749 with a 170 gr Speer SMP... or 35 gr of 4198...

a bolt action 30/30 or 32 Win Special Equivalent....but certainly knocks the snot out of any deer that I've take with it...using open sights...several at 200 yds...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
This one has a bright bore and is pretty smooth. I have only shot it with the Heavy Ball military ammo and it hits to the sights with that. Ought to go outside and shoot it some more as I have 50 or so rounds of the old 8x57 military ammo. I once upon a time switched out the 196 grain bullets for 185 grain Remington corelokts using the military load. Shot fine but I never took it hunting.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I grew up during the 60's when the big deal was sporterizing and rebarreling 98 Mausers with more parts from Herters than all other sources combined. Swastikas' were cool but the best-kept secrets were the post-war La Corunas of the late 40's & early 50's, that if memory serves me correct were referred to as the Spanish Model 43. Inexpensive, as tight as the best of any of the early WW2 98's, and consistently available for two decades up into the early 80's. The last one I got donored a custom 7x57 with Douglas barrel for my now ex-wife, which she says she'll never part with. Whoever buys it can't go wrong IMHO.

BTW, most BAD opinions concerning the various M98's over the years derived not from the merits of the original actions/rifles themselves, but unfortunately on mismatched, wartime surplus rifles, from sub-Saharan Africa and thrown together by third world arms smugglers who somehow rebranded/re-ligitimized them enough to get them imported to the US by the dumpster-full.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
143 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,437 guests, and 803 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.