Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Originally Posted by Fullfan
No help from me. Been hunting the west since 1983, always DYI. Could not imagine paying 5k or more for a hunt. And then feeling as if I had to pay more. Just me tho.

I agree with this.

You folk that are paying guides and for hunts really ain’t hunting. This is just another discussion for the elites and supremacist. A paid excursion doesn’t make it hunting no matter the animal or environment.

Same goes for hunts anywhere in the world.

So if you have that trophy on the wall from a paid “hunt”, let it be a reminder of how helpless and pathetic you really are.

I do not totally disagree with this assessment, but just because you can afford a hunt, does not make you an elitist. Some people save their whole lives, for one guided hunt. I have been on one, because I happened to have the money at that point.

You have paid your money and your guide is most likely paid a wage no matter what. That being said, if there is a tip involved, most will go the extra step to earn it. If they don't earn a tip, then don't give them one.

The only guided hunt that I ever went on, was a moose hunt in Newfoundland. I had a glorious time and my guide was great. I gave him a good tip, because he damn sure deserved it.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What did he do to “earn” it, the hunters job ?

You weren’t hunting, you were on an excursion

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/26/22.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
"What a fool I am!" said the fox furiously. "These grapes are sour and not fit for eating. Why would I want them anyway?"
With that, the fox walked away.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chamois
"What a fool I am!" said the fox furiously. "These grapes are sour and not fit for eating. Why would I want them anyway?"

The moral maybe one of the Supremacist. There ain’t much out of my reach and I retired at 39 years old. The reality is I can hunt and gather for myself. I could obtain the grapes as a snack because my thirst is always quenched in the first place.

All of my hunting and fishing needs have always been satisfied by the Grace of God, not with the help of others nor hunting in a high fenced petting zoo.

If you need a crew to hunt or fish and you aren’t the leader, you are on excursion

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/26/22.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I don't agree with your logic at all. But I've guided deer and turkey hunters, and owned a charter boat. Using one's knowledge is well worth paying for in most cases.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

I don't agree with your logic at all. But I've guided deer and turkey hunters, and owned a charter boat. Using one's knowledge is well worth paying for in most cases.

If you tried that logic at the poker table or in a gambling establishment you’d be shot, kicked out, or in the case of Martha Stewart thrown in jail.

Its cheating, not hunting !

Pathetic!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I learned a long time ago it's hard to beat a man at his game. And no matter how dumb you think someone is you can always learn something from them. Pathetic !

Life is good live it while you can.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Lets add Equipment(tents, vehicles,animals and other items plus permits) and employees to that .

In answer to the OP I would tip the guide, wrangler and cook without even thinking of it unless it was a pretty sour hunt. 10% minimum and most likely 15%.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by chamois

The moral maybe one of the Supremacist. There ain’t much out of my reach and I retired at 39 years old. The reality is I can hunt and gather for myself. I could obtain the grapes as a snack because my thirst is always quenched in the first place.

All of my hunting and fishing needs have always been satisfied by the Grace of God, not with the help of others nor hunting in a high fenced petting zoo.

If you need a crew to hunt or fish and you aren’t the leader, you are on excursion

Set up hunts to say Alaska or Africa, on your own, and report back. Long journey
to either place. Oh, and you have to do this at age 75 or so.

Last edited by Wrapids; 04/26/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You mean set up excursions?

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You are the elitist, Johnny.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I guided archery elk hunters a few years for an outfitter friend. Never expected a tip, but the worst was a lawyer from Virginia. Got him a nice 5x5, scored 300 range. Not only did I not get a tip, but the SOB forgot film for his camera (yeah, back in those days) so I gave him a roll from my pack and he never even paid me for that. Still have the bad taste in my mouth from that one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wyosteve
I guided archery elk hunters a few years for an outfitter friend. Never expected a tip, but the worst was a lawyer from Virginia. Got him a nice 5x5, scored 300 range. Not only did I not get a tip, but the SOB forgot film for his camera (yeah, back in those days) so I gave him a roll from my pack and he never even paid me for that. Still have the bad taste in my mouth from that one.

Sounds like a tough hunt on his part. Think he tells stories about his trophy?
Lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by riverdog
You are the elitist, Johnny.

I could be

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I’ve guided for a few years in Wyoming. I’ve never met another guide who wasn’t at least hoping if not expecting a tip. Now whether or not they deserved one could be debated. Like someone above posted it is the de facto norm, like it or not. If you don’t tip or tip poorly you will be remembered. If you tip well it’ll be appreciated. I’ve guided guys from fairly normal incomes to extremely wealthy. One guy who was extremely wealthy, and a lazy hunter, straight up told me his tip amount would depend on how big his bull was. Which isn’t something totally in my control. That was maybe the only conversation I’ve had with a client I was guiding about tipping. Other than when the tip was actually given.

I’ve had some bad tips that I thought were too low. I can tell you I won’t guide them again. I’ve seen fellow guides get shorted by clients and I wouldn’t guide them either.

If you can’t afford a generous tip, when deserved, you can’t afford the hunt.

I think it’s funny that African outfitters charge for a rifle rental. Maybe my next client I guide I’ll charge a saddle rental.😜. But as yet another poster said when in Rome.

Not everyone can afford what they'd like to. We did a lot of Mtn goat hunts, a once in a lifetime hunt for most. The goat in the avatar was shot by a guy who had lost his business and was 2 mos. late on his house payment. He offered me $150, not a big tip by any means but all he had. I gave it back with no regrets, someone was already paying me to ride their horse through beautiful country.

Another client gave me a generous tip and later gave me a Kabar knife he inherited from his Dad. I haven't a clue where the money went but I'll always have that knife.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To the elitist who live on that moral high ground of perfection, and who evidently have access to areas that hold game and the years to learn the public access points where the targeted species exist, perfect health and the skills to locate those animals, bravo.

There are others of us who have labored work-a-day for 50 years, never having the time to scout those distant lands, procure the rights to the areas to hunt and have the ability or equipment to get an animal out of the rough stuff if good fortune were to smile...

Some of us always wanted the elk, sheep or nilgai but were not situated so that a DIY hunt was possible time or access wise, other things such as family and responsibility being more important. I guess you would deny that "excursion" to live in our minds as valuable. So would the person who always wanted to run close to the wind in a 60 footer who chartered out for a day to have that thrill, tacking to stay the course, tasting the salt spray and the heel of the ship be denied? They were not the master maybe, but if they took the wheel and knew when to call "Prepare to come about" and could read the wind, swells and trim the sheets they were By God sailing.

I saved my pennies for my two elk hunts and tipped my outfitter and especially my guides well, took the lady cook a case of good wine the second trip and tipped her well too. It may not rate as hunt for you, but it lives in my mind as a cross off a bucket list item after crawling up a vertical cow face in Montana after my guide spotted a bunch laying up mid day, we planned a stalk to a spot opposite to them, got set up and waited for them to get up to feed and I made that 400 yard shot across the hollar and dropped him where he stood.

I call that a hunt and you the termination of an alimentary canal for trying to lesson its value to me.

This thread was not about the relative value of gruntism, but rather about the percentage of remuneration for services rendered. I suggest you start your own thread about how week and pathetic those of us who do not measure up to your metrics are. Do we have a Richard Cranium Forum?

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Lets add Equipment(tents, vehicles,animals and other items plus permits) and employees to that .

In answer to the OP I would tip the guide, wrangler and cook without even thinking of it unless it was a pretty sour hunt. 10% minimum and most likely 15%.

10-15% sounds reasonable.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.