Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Probably one of the dumbest threads ever if you've never shot high volume varmints.

Got a few questions for the veterans though.

Problem number one is ear protection.

I've used a set of Howard Leight Impact Pro's for a few years and a few sets of Peltors prior, and they have all gotten to where they physically hurt my ears after a few hours/days of shooting. I've heard about gel replacement ear cups and will most likely grab a set, but curious if anyone here has a recommendation for which ones to get?

Problem two is even more lame. Elbows.

My elbows always get sore when shooting from a bench for several days. It kinda sucks and I've been thinking about glueing some foam mats to the top of the bench or maybe even wearing elbow pads. Anyone have a suggestion?

Last edited by Higginez; 05/08/22.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can come out and we can swap shooting.

I shoot 2x and you 1x. Should help with your white people problems!🤣🤣

I will even provide my own rifles, ammo, ear protection and elbow salve!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You want to rub my elbows with salve?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Like button gone!

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Not a high volume shooter, unless we go by body weight, but I have had similar problems with thick 32db muffs. I've switched to Walker Razor Slim 23db electronic muffs, and foam plugs if needed.

The Walker Razor Slims, for whatever reason, are much more comfortable on my head. And I have a big misshapen mongoloid head like the gimp in the Goonies movie, so if they feel okay on my watermelon noggin I imagine they would be fine on a normal head.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ma Deuce took my hearing 50+ years ago, cheap electronic earmuffs so I can turn up the volume. Everyone is used to asking me the same question at least twice.

Carpet stores have samples with nice bound edges, the last club I belonged to had a pile of them for on the benches.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Higginez
Probably one of the dumbest threads ever if you've never shot high volume varmints.

I've used a set of Howard Leight Impact Pro's for a few years and a few sets of Peltors prior, and they have all gotten to where they physically hurt my ears after a few hours/days of shooting. I've heard about gel replacement ear cups and will most likely grab a set, but curious if anyone here has a recommendation for which ones to get?

My elbows always get sore when shooting from a bench for several days.
It kinda sucks and I've been thinking about glueing some foam mats to the top of the bench or maybe even wearing elbow pads. Anyone have a suggestion?

I always keep a set of elbow pads in my shooting kit. Mostly for prone/bipod shooting, but they should work for sore 'bench elbows' too. I've also used a rear beanbag or folded up jacket or towel under my elbow on a shooting bench or table, to give a little padding.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I’ve gotten a couple of ProHear gel cushion replacements for my Howard Leights. I really like them. I have a high db pair of muffs for indoor shooting and a more comfortable thin pair for outdoor. Replaced the cushions on both sets. The original ms we’re getting hard and uncomfortable plus we’re not sealing as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had some really thick socks that lost their elastic and I cut out the toes to slide over my arms to protect my elbows without adding too much bulk. Not much I can do for your ear protection.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Black Hills Bret
I’ve gotten a couple of ProHear gel cushion replacements for my Howard Leights. I really like them. I have a high db pair of muffs for indoor shooting and a more comfortable thin pair for outdoor. Replaced the cushions on both sets. The original ms we’re getting hard and uncomfortable plus we’re not sealing as well.

I'll order some of the ProHear gels then. Thanks.

And yeah, they started out fine but the ear cups have gotten hard and start to wear on ya after awhile.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

My elbows always get sore when shooting from a bench for several days.
It kinda sucks and I've been thinking about glueing some foam mats to the top of the bench or maybe even wearing elbow pads. Anyone have a suggestion?

I always keep a set of elbow pads in my shooting kit. Mostly for prone/bipod shooting, but they should work for sore 'bench elbows' too. I've also used a rear beanbag or folded up jacket or towel under my elbow on a shooting bench or table, to give a little padding.

Yeah, I've resorted to the folded up jacket etc. on many prior outings. LOL

Kinda thinking about glueing a piece of neoprene to the back half of the table top.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A long-sleeved cotton shirt, white or red to reflect the heat, is your friend when bench shooting all day. I have never had chaffed elbows when wearing them.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hig is white??

Invite me and I’ll bring along some fresh clubbed baby seal pelt for your tender extremities

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The gel wrist pads for a computer desk save elbows on the bench for me

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Hig is white??

Invite me and I’ll bring along some fresh clubbed baby seal pelt for your tender extremities

Pure Mexican! LOL

Cali Crew needs to meet up and show the OR boys how to shoot squirrels.

Maybe they can give us tips to keep our elbows from bruising! smile

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Black Hills Bret

Bret, thanks for the heads up on the ProHear gels. Amazon just dropped em off and I installed them. Pretty huge improvement in comfort.

Think I'll wear em all evening to break em in! smile

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Maybe a plain color kitchen or bath mat on the bench , the gel squishy type ? Non slip on the bottom. Cheapish at Walmart.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My elbows always get sore when shooting from a bench for several days. It kinda sucks and I've been thinking about glueing some foam mats to the top of the bench or maybe even wearing elbow pads. Anyone have a suggestion?

my suggestion is, to make the rear of the bench narrower (like 10" or a tad less...), Then your elbow hangs over the edge and can't get sore. And you can kinda 'grip' the bench to lock your arm in.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wish I had,
1, opportunity to shoot like that,
2, the attention span to take advantage of the opportunity.

Used to shoot a little skeet, 2 rounds and I'd go load the traps or pull
for the other guys. Couple rounds later, back to shooting. The other guys would burn 175 rounds, maybe 75 for me.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Hig is white??

Pure Mexican! LOL

Cali Crew needs to meet up and show the OR boys how to shoot squirrels.

Maybe they can give us tips to keep our elbows from bruising! smile

Snicker.....

other than that Jose.... you're welcome up this way any time I can fit you in my schedule...

as far as Ear Protection, spending much time will serving in the military, I've spent a lot of time on the range being med support in case any one managed to hurt themselves, if its a problem, for any reason, I just put in an ear plug, on my shooting side ( the right).. and then put on my ear muffs... doesn't seem to be a long term problem...

I tend to use the hood of my Toyota Truck for a shooting bench... I put an old sleeping bag or a moving blanket on the hood, and then some sand bags to hold it down from the wind blowing.... so sore elbows ain't an issue...when its chilly in early season, its also not an issue...wearing a sweat shirt....

I haul along a shooting bench at times, but then half the time I don't even unload it...the hood of the truck is serving the same purpose just fine.

you California boys are over thinking this a little aren't ya...

of course being a military trained medical type ( 91 Bravo, 91 Charlie, 91 Sierra) and a West Virginia Hillbilly by birth, probably stops me from overthinking it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
436 members (160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 45 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.