Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I posted earlier about planning a elk hunt for 2024. Thought I would try to get in shape. Did a hike I used to do 20 years ago. 4,000 feet to the top 7 miles round trip. My mind says I'm 18 my body at the end of this was screaming 90. My hats off to the older members that get it done. I have a long road ahead of me

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't say as I'm ancient (59 next week) but I have reached an age where things are harder AND most importantly it takes longer to get over injuries. Your training hike sounds good but I'd strongly advise easing into it. Ease into all of it. Despite what the internet says, you won't be in elk shape in weeks - or even months. Your body simply takes a long time to adapt to the physical requirements of mountain hunting.

Strength training and aerobic conditioning at easy to moderate intensity are your friends over the next 3-4 months with intensity ramping up closer to season. And throw in rucking this summer. Simply build volume slowly, let your body adapt, and you'll be alot more comfortable on your hunt. You honestly can do it - if you ease into it. Good luck!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks the hunts well over a year a way. I figured I hiked this all the time when I was a kid, and I'm still healthy amd it shouldn't be a problem. My knees, back, and ankles had other ideas. Now I know where I am at physically

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since my knee replacements in 2017, I’ve been usong an elliptical machine 3-5 days a week followed by weights. 30 minutes on level 15 after working up from 1. It builds leg strength and cardio conditioning without the pounding on the knees, hips, and ankles. I can hike up and down hillS pretty good. I’m 62.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I think I have at least one more elk hunt. Well hope I do. Maybe two!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't give up on the exercise. Not just for elk hunting but for life in general. The hardest workout is the first one, and you already did that one. Just keep it up. Mix up your workouts, hikes, walks, runs, bikes, swims, weights, whatever. Just keep making it fun. I set a distance goal for running each month and tell myself, however and whenever I do the miles doesn't matter, just get them done.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You don't say how old you are, but it gets worse once you past 70. Once you are on the back side of 70's you will be damn glad you can still get out and sit on a stump.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I just turned 41😅 yeah my hats off to you and rockchuck and the other senior members that get it done

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
41!?!?!

You young Whippersnapper. grin

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
41!!! I was still running 5 miles a day at 41!

(And I got the knees to prove it)

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
40’s are the prime time of life! No sympathy from me, sorry. My advice to all you young guys is don’t let yourself slow down. I did ok thru mid 60’s but then got lazy and enjoyed too much of my wife’s good cooking. Now (at 72) a 2 or 3 mile walk with the puppy seems like big deal. One reason for getting a puppy at this age was to get us and keep us moving. It seems to be working.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was just telling my kids to keep working out so they don't injure themselves like I have. I relied on youthful strength by just doing stuff and then I hit 50. Now with 5 shoulder and arm surgeries behind me (I'm a slow learner at times) I am working out 3-5 times a week. Having my chest cracked open was the 6th that convinced me to keep working out. Like I said, I am a slow learner at times. My wife calls it stubborn. Well, that's the nicest thing she calls it.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I'm living the best year of my life despite loosing a few fingers in a accident, I thought i was in good shape until we went on that hike it was a wake up call.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 67 & my elk hunting days are behind me. I like hunting turkeys now. Love how they gobble coming to the call just like a love sick bull. But I can pick them up with 1 hand & get back to the truck in 1 trip.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
At very close to 70……the mountain hunts are exponentially harder than they were 10 years ago! Even with good conditioning …..age is not your friend! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Heck, you have to just keep after it. I did a sheep hunt at 63, another wilderness elk hunt at 65, an 85 mile horse pack trip through the
Thorofare at 67, an aoudad hunt at 69 and have another planned for January. Just have to realize you need to go slower and keep doing something physical every day, not wait until before a scheduled hunt.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
now after a few surgeries and almost 69 years of age my elk hunting is getting very difficult , my only way anymore is buy my son a non-resident license and bring him with , his age is 33 and he runs and lifts weights at the gym ,my son is very fit , he is my mule in the montains . i keep hoping to go on another elk hunt next year 2023 but still recovering from a 2021 back surgery yet . i hope we all do well in health and hunting yet . take care ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I will be 75 come Oct. I plan on hunting as long as I can, but with the elk explosion I hunt differently than my youth, and a younger pals I can call on for help.. I still walk an hour each day, but slower than 5 years ago.

Molon Labe
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
You guys definitely are a inspiration

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Irving_D
You guys definitely are a inspiration

hell or high water i will go again elk hunting but i would prefer the archery season with my son . my price is kinda high and funny because , 2 non-resident tags mine and my son`s ,my truck and everything else but its worth it to spend time with my son he seems to always kill an elk with his bow too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
277 members (1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 29aholic, 39 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.