Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tyrone Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have a large mix of accessory attachments on my rifles. Everything from Anschutz rails to QD, MLok to swivel studs.
What sort of bipod attachment should I get?

Politics is War by Other Means
ARIC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL. Most of the times I drill a hole in the tube and bolt on a sling stud. Call it good. Hasn't failed our uses yet.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Tyrone Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
LOL. Most of the times I drill a hole in the tube and bolt on a sling stud. Call it good. Hasn't failed our uses yet.

I am not opposed to TX Hillybilly engineering! smile

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I run M lok forends w the Magpul adapter.
Content to use Harris bipods.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
JL billet makes a nice bipod adapter, I just got one in Black!

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I have a large mix of accessory attachments on my rifles. Everything from Anschutz rails to QD, MLok to swivel studs.
What sort of bipod attachment should I get?

Originally Posted by hookeye
I run M lok forends w the Magpul adapter.
Content to use Harris bipods.

I do to, when the forend has Mloc. If it is set up for key mod, then I roll that way. Tyrone may not be using a Harris. I guess that would be the first question to him. What bi-pod is this going to be for. All of my rifles are set up with Harris bi-pod adapters. Mainly aluminum for durability. However, if Tyrone is wanting to run an Atlas or similar that takes a rail type mount, that would be different. It also depends on how cheap he wants to be. I've had some handguards that were drilled like rost mentions, but with 2 holes to hold the rail section on for the bi-pod mount. That is simple enough to do as well. As far as brand, take your pick. They all work pretty much the same way. Probably stay away from Chinese crap, but we all know that by now..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Tyrone Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking at Harris and Magpul.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I'm looking at Harris and Magpul.

One of my buddies is a retired airborne ranger and he likes his magpul bi-pods. I was surprised, but I guess they are pretty good. In the competitions I've been shooting lately, everyone is running the Atlas and one guy was using a fancy new generation Accu Tac FC5. It pans and swivels, which was nice for getting on the different targets quicker than your standard bipod. It also has a wide footprint, which makes it extremely stable. I like my Harris 6-9 swivel's, but that Accu Tac was pretty impressive. If I keep shooting those long range varmint silhouette matches, I may upgrade. Its going to be hard pulling out the $450+ for the Accu Tac though. For a Harris, I'd just look for a quality Aluminum sling stud mount specifically for the Harris. I prefer the low profile mounts. Ebay has some that are American made that work well. The last couple I bought were the magpul MAG609, I bought them there and they work well on my heavier AR10's. They are about $20, if I remember right. They are made in both Key Mod and M-Lok. The reason I use the Harris is because I can use my bipods on every rifle I own. They all have sling studs.. That's if you want to make things simple.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I also use the Magpul adaptor to marry the Harris bipods to M-Lok slots. Works fine.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Also picked up a picatinny style Magpul bipod for direct attachment to pic rail. Also works fine.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got the Magpul adaptor for my Harris bipods and it works fine- just like on all my other hunting rifles. I keep hearing how great the Atlas bipods are, but I have a hard time accepting they are great enough over the Harris bipods to justify their cost. Also, the Atlas top out at 9" IIRC, which is probably great for bench work but just doesn't fit with the type of hunting I do with my Harris bipods where you have to sit to shoot above obstructions like grass, sagebrush, blowdowns, etc....

I would, however like to find an adaptor for quick attach/detach for my Harris bipods so I didn't carry them on the rifle all the time while hunting. It would be nice to carry a bipod on the hip or pack belt and be able to pull it out and snap it in place quickly like the old bog pods and then take off when I am done with it... I've even thought of trying to invent a ball type mount that the bipod mount would snap onto and swivel any direction wanted as even the Harris swivel models are extremely limited in their movement arc.... just have to find somebody to help me prototype such a thing one day soon....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've got the Magpul adaptor for my Harris bipods and it works fine- just like on all my other hunting rifles. I keep hearing how great the Atlas bipods are, but I have a hard time accepting they are great enough over the Harris bipods to justify their cost. Also, the Atlas top out at 9" IIRC, which is probably great for bench work but just doesn't fit with the type of hunting I do with my Harris bipods where you have to sit to shoot above obstructions like grass, sagebrush, blowdowns, etc....

I would, however like to find an adaptor for quick attach/detach for my Harris bipods so I didn't carry them on the rifle all the time while hunting. It would be nice to carry a bipod on the hip or pack belt and be able to pull it out and snap it in place quickly like the old bog pods and then take off when I am done with it... I've even thought of trying to invent a ball type mount that the bipod mount would snap onto and swivel any direction wanted as even the Harris swivel models are extremely limited in their movement arc.... just have to find somebody to help me prototype such a thing one day soon....

Bob

Sounds like a great idea Bob. I'd buy one... Now I can see huntsman trying to make something out of a sway bar end link..

BSA MAGA
Tyrone Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What model Harris do you guys like?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sheisters post above made me think about this-Anybody ever use the Spartan Precision/Javelin setup? Magnetic attachment point stays on the gun. Carry bipod separately until you need/want to put on the gun.

https://javelinbipod.com/collections/bipods

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TWR

Same.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On my builds, I use a gas block with top, bottom and side pic rails.
UTG makes a bipod that attaches to a "rail".
Since I also attach my sling swivel to the gas block, I sometimes have to alter the bipod attachment....but it works.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It’s generally good practice to keep any rest at all off the barrel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Wrong forum?

Every day’s an adventure.
Tyrone Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
laugh

Tyrone Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I did get the Harris you recommended. Didn't know it had a sling attachment too! I like that!

Now I can put the QR Mlok sling attachment on another rifle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
131 members (257 mag, 32_20fan, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.