Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just picked up a used Henry .22 with the octagon barrel. It is LNIB, don't think it was ever fired. Blued steel/real nice wood, good fit and finish I like the way it balances, just ever so slightly barrel heavy. I'll be shooting it this weekend. It might just end up wearing a set of Skinner Sights, we will see how it shoots with the factory sight for now. Only plastic on it is the butt pad. I am quite happy.

BP-B2

W
W
Here's my input regarding lever guns. First off I like thr practicality of a lever gun because I'm a "lefty". I therefore don't have the problem of operating a right handed bolt, and I don't have powder blowing in my face as the bolt on a semi recycles. I guess next on the list is "everybody" want to be a cowboy, and 3 of my 4 brands of lever action .22s look "cowboy".
My fourth liver action .22 was made by Taurus, The bolt operates just like the little pump or gallery gun that's so popular. The difference is that the bolt is operated by a lever. The model designation is 62-LA. How many of you have even seen one~? It's the first .22 I grab if I'm just going plinking because it's light, if functions flawlessly, it hits what I'm aiming at, and I'm not worried about getting a scratch or a ding in my 1957 built 39-A or my 1974 built 94/22, both of which are nearly perfect.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Own one with the octagon barrel and it wears a Weaver 3x9 AO rimfire scope. Zero issues with it and never really sat down and found out which ammo it liked better but the few brands I tried were all capable of 5 shot 1 inch groups or better at 50 yards.

Ditto ^^^^^

Funny how the guys chit mouthing em are the ones that don't own one.

About 30 years ago I had a 9422M. Nice rifle but it wouldn't even come close to the accuracy I get from my Octagon barreled Henry in 22WMR.

I've beat the snot out of it for about six years now without a single hick-up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BTW,,,, the only plastic on mine is the butt plate.
But then,,,, so is the one on my 1946 Marlin 39.
does Henry still make this one?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
They still list it in their catalog.

Henry Frontier 22mag, 20-1/2” octagonal barrel ( p/n H001TM )

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Henry pump 22mag.It functions OK but,if Henry would put an extra $50-$100 in quality parts they could build a lot better looking rifle.They have a lot of cast aluminum and cheap looking plastic parts.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have 2 Henry's a 22lr & a 22 mag, I like them both esp. without scopes, they carry nice, very slim rifles and both shoot great with open sights. I had scopes on both of them but then the way they carry, and balance goes out the window.
They are with me a lot in the SxS as guns of opportunity on the farm.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got 2 Henry's with the octagon barrel. One a golden boy that I put fiber optic sights on. The other a frontier that I mounted a fastfire red dot on. They both have a smoother action than the 39a I used to have. The Marlin and winchester are more robust in build, but no longer made. Parts will get scarce sooner than later. Was wanting another lever action, and it didn't make sense to pay the inflated prices for the older models. I got new ones with warranties & good customer service.

Romans 5:1
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have a Henry 22 Mag octagon barrel really like it accurate and slick lever put a Skinner sight on it.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had a Ithica 22wmr lever action. It was the forerunner of the henry. Even interchangeable parts. It shot very well. Only problem was that it had a dead spot in the trigger take up pull. Easy to get used to and used as the trigger broke right after that. It seemed to be a characteristic of the rifle. It became a gift to a cousin who performed the wedding ceremony for my oldest daughter. He also loved that rifle.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The only thing I don't like is large gap between top of the lever and the bottom of the stock 1/4 inch plus!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've wanted a .22 WMR rifle for a few years.

I picked up my first, a Henry .22 WMR Classic (H001M), today. It has a really nicely finished, checkered stock and is nicely blued. The rifle is lightweight and feels, balances and looks like an older 94/22 but for a lot cheaper. I really like the feel of this rifle. I mounted a 15 or so year old Weaver Classic 6x40 with gloss finish in Burris rimfire rings. I had to remove the rear sight to clear the objective bell, but that is OK. This optic is clear, lightweight, permanantly set to the perfect magnification and in my opinion, just right for this rifle.

I bought some CCI hollow points at the store and ordered some CCI spire points and TMJs. Also, grabbed a box of 30-grain Hornadys. I'm hoping to make it a ranch gun with a speciality of being an opportunistic coyote / hog shooter.

I'm anxious to see how it shoots. If this one shoots 2 MOA or better, I may trade my older 39M for a .22 LR Golden Boy plus some cash. My young son has been wanting me to get a rifle that looks like an 1860 and the Golden Boy may be a fun one for him to shoot while enjoying the look. Plus, my 39M hasn't functioned great for him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I have a Henry pump 22mag.It functions OK but,if Henry would put an extra $50-$100 in quality parts they could build a lot better looking rifle.They have a lot of cast aluminum and cheap looking plastic parts.
And have a blued receiver versus a painted receiver.

Looked at a big loop 22 Mag Saturday and I just can't get over a few things that seem cheap for a gun that brings top $$.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Probably the best deal out there nowadays (no Winchesters or marlins around)

I had the pump, loved until I put a scope on it.

With open sights it shot really accurately out to an iron sight ranges. When I put a scope on it, it would shoot all over the place. Someone told me it was because of their two piece or whatever it is receivers.

I’d buy the pump in 22lr though.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by baldhunter
And have a blued receiver versus a painted receiver.

Looked at a big loop 22 Mag Saturday and I just can't get over a few things that seem cheap for a gun that brings top $$.
You'd pay at least double what a Henry costs for a new US made .22 lever with a steel receiver.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.