Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Have any of you guys shot 270 grain Hornady’s at game in 375 H&H, 375 Ruger or 375 H&H AI?

If so, how well did the bullet work?

Thanks.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A friend of mine used it on one of his safaris and he said it worked well on leopard, but a bit soft for buffalo, he like a lot of other folks since switched to Barnes'. From personal experience, it worked well on big hogs, purposely shot on the shoulder. Complete pass through but pretty violent expansion .

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bugger
Have any of you guys shot 270 grain Hornady’s at game in 375 H&H, 375 Ruger or 375 H&H AI?

Thanks.

I used it quite a bit on plains game. I would say it might not be the best pick on buffalo, but it was as close to perfect as you can get for big plains game.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot exactly one mature whitetail doe with that bullet. So take it for what it is.

It worked, but left me thinking.... I thought it would be a tougher bullet. Recovered the bullet and it had separated.

I would have no qualms using it on PG though.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm surprised you got a bullet recovery. What was the bullets path through the deer? I just got 2 boxes of Hornady 270 grainers and wondered if they might be a little hard for crop damage deer out of a 375 H&H.

JD338

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Are these the RN 270 or the SP-RP? I've got a bunch of the RN seconds and was wondering how they perform.

Perry
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I know that I’ll catch hell because Hornady has a good reputation and for every poor performance that I witnessed there are 100 or a thousand guys that haven’t had issues with those bullets. I’m only relaying my experience and I don’t intend to make broad generalizations but in my experience the Hornady jacket and core separation is what I’ve had issues with myself.

I was testing the interlock in my .338WM and in various media, ie dry and wet phone books, water jugs and even sandbags I had total jacket and core separation with roughly a dozen shots. Hardly scientific I know but when tested side by side with the TBBC (both 225gr) the TBBC displayed the perfect mushroom EVERYTIME while the interlock separated EVERYTIME. Since I only hunt with bullets I trust I never hunted with the interlocks. I’m probably picking flyshit out of pepper but I since other bullets did what they were expected to do I never saw the need to hunt with an inferior projectile. I don’t care if I can save .10 cents on cheaper Hornady interlocks….the poor man’s Partition….I’ll cough up a few bucks extra for piece of mind.

My experience with the Monos and TBBC doesn’t leave me wanting for more so I’ve no need to keep looking. Once I find an accurate bullet that I trust I run that “forever”.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JD338
I'm surprised you got a bullet recovery. What was the bullets path through the deer? I just got 2 boxes of Hornady 270 grainers and wondered if they might be a little hard for crop damage deer out of a 375 H&H.

JD338

This was close to 20 years ago. But this is what I remember. This was the SP bullet.
Bedded adult whitetail doe. Quartering to. Distance was 80 some yards. Broke onside shoulder, took out three ribs at vertebrae junction, found in offside rear quarter with a broken femur.

I repeat, I would not hesitate to use it for PG, elk, moose etc.

Arcus Venator
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Bugger

Thanks.

I used it quite a bit on plains game. I would say it might not be the best pick on buffalo, but it was as close to perfect as you can get for big plains game.

Agree with the Poobah. Used the 270 spire point on waterbuck, gemsbok, zebra and impala. Performed very well.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used the factory 375 Ruger 270 grain Hornady on an AK grizzly hunt. Very dead bear with 1 shot. It was a pass thru the shoulders @ 100 yards. I haven't used it on African game.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I used the factory 375 Ruger 270 grain Hornady on an AK grizzly hunt. Very dead bear with 1 shot. It was a pass thru the shoulders @ 100 yards. I haven't used it on African game.

Outstanding! I've only used the 270 gr .375" Hornady (RN and Spire Point) on targets. It's accurate! Haven't used it on game, yet.

Great thing is how economical it is in .375 cal, many of the other bullets available are awfully expensive for target practice.

Regards, Guy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No idea on the 270 spire point…. But I used to shoot 300RN out of my 375RUM. They were cheap and I like to shoot so I used them for target practice. Every single one I dug out of whatever I shot was still together. They smeared a lot of lead off but the jackets always contained the cores. I wish I’d have bought more.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The problem I had with hornadies was they tended to vary a lot from lot to lot. Jacket thickness changed and the interlock size and placement changed. I had good luck with the 260 nab on Plains game. I've also used the 235g speer hot cor on impala and warthog. It can come apart pretty quick at over 2900 fps. The 260 partition is a good option too.

Bb

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Benbo
No idea on the 270 spire point…. But I used to shoot 300RN out of my 375RUM. They were cheap and I like to shoot so I used them for target practice. Every single one I dug out of whatever I shot was still together. They smeared a lot of lead off but the jackets always contained the cores. I wish I’d have bought more.

I have a box of 300 RN that I believe is full. What's it worth? I'd let it go.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by spud06
Are these the RN 270 or the SP-RP? I've got a bunch of the RN seconds and was wondering how they perform.

I use the 270 roundnose seconds I bought from Midway, all indications they are Hornadys. I run them around 2500 fps out of my 375 Ruger. 1 small 6 point bull elk and 3 cows have all been 1 shot kills. All bullets exited, internal damage was significant and exits were good sized . Perfect for timber hunting elk. In the Ruger you could easily go over 2700 fps, but I see no need.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Trophy fees are expensive. Good bullets aren’t. I Use Barnes 270 TSX in my 375 H&H. Proven over and over as a premium bullet. This isn’t a place I would skimp on bullets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've shot three black bears with the 270gr. sp all double lung shots never recovered a bullet all one shot kills

Ed

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,763 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.