Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
OK folks, all this talk of hush puppies has me interested-any easy recipies?

Dave

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easy? Sure

Put about a cup and a half of cornmeal in a bowl. Chop up some green onions tops and all and mix in. Add a teaspoon or so of salt and black pepper and a half tsp garlic powder. Could put in a tsp of chili powder if you want. Mix this all up and pour boiling water over it, just enough to make a stiff mix. Add an egg and mix the whole deal up into a stiff dough. Pinch off pieces about half the size of a golf ball as soon as you can handle the hot mixture and drop them in hot oil. Fry @ 4-5 minutes dip out and drain.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like baking powder recipes because they tend to be a bit lighter. In RI, we are big into chowder and clamcakes, and I like the lighter fritter dough. Here's a recipe I like:
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 t salt
3 t baking powder
3/4 c buttermilk
1 T sugar
1 T flour
1/4 t baking soda
1 egg
1/2 cup diced onion
1 diced jalapeno pepper

I fry them in corn oil between 350 and 365 degrees. Canola if you are supremely concerned about your health.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I posted this back in February:
I don't think there are really many different recipes for hushpuppys. They are pretty much made the same way all over the South. My recipe, below, has minced onions, and regular corn meal, not self rising. I add in my own baking powder.

Folks should play with these recipes, and mix/match ingredients until you get a hushpuppy that pleases you and your family. One thing I am sure of, is that there are few things on earth as delicious as a well made hushpuppy.
When I serve these with fried fish, I like coleslaw and a big bowl of cheese grits on the side. Don't forget the cold beer!!

Sam

Hushpuppies

Makes about a dozen, recipe is expandable

1 � cups yellow cornmeal
� cup flour
(� tsp sugar, if the onions are not sweet onions)
� tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg, beaten
1 tbls melted butter, or bacon drippings, your choice
� sweet onion, fine diced or grated
� cup buttermilk

In a deep bowl, mix the dry ingredients, sifting once. Add the egg, melted butter or bacon drippings, and some of the milk.
Mix to a stiff dough. Add more milk as needed, a little at a time, until the dough holds shape, and is slightly sticky.

Using two spoons, dipped in buttermilk, shape the dough into an egg shape, and drop into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 4 min. The oil should be around 365 F. Remove and drain on an icing rack, with paper towels below. Do not drain on paper towels.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 10/09/07.

Sam......

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Sam

That sounds really good but I'm a little confused about the baking powder. Is it 3 tsp. ?

Piper

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
that was a typo Piper. It's two of baking powder, and one of baking soda.
The reason is that they react at different times, to keep the CO2 coming to help with the rise.

Thanks for the heads up. I changed it in the post.

Sam

Sam......

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Sam

No problem. I should have been able to figure it out but I was still working on my first cup of coffee and my brain wasn't up to speed. I sent a friend a recipe once where I typoed a 1/4 cup of salt instead of sugar.

BTW I made the hush puppies last night and they were great. Thanks

Piper

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,104
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.