Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
#17235327 05/09/22
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I just read elsewhere that Bill Wilson may be purchasing NULA. Apparently "from a reliable source". Anyone hear or know anything about this? Given that Melvin is likely going soon to retire sooner than later I believe Bill would be a good guy to run it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I wouldn’t be shocked at all.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
ok so who is bill wilson

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

This is the one I know of. He's the guy on the right.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 05/10/22.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

This is the one I know of. He's the guy on the right.

Thats not the guy. The owner of Wilson barrels which also owns Cooper Firearms.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Oldelkhunter-

Friend, you are very wrong. Bill Wilson is a Arkansas fellow, ( that lives on his ranch in Texas alot ) that builds some of the finest firearms made. Built his reputation on shooting 1911's and then got in the business of making custom's. His shop, it's big, is in NW AR. He does alot of weapon platforms, AR's, pistolas, etc. for DOD, and other 3 letter folks..... I'm privileged to know several workers there, been through the shop, etc................. My dept. was the first LE dept. to carry the company's LE AR15's. I wish they would give tours to the public because alot of folks on The Fire would love to see how the elite military weapons are made.
Also, many parts for other higher end firearm companies are being produced. They have a problem finding enough workers because background checks prohibit any felons. The class III stuff prohibits that. Lots of meth, etc in the area ( as well as in many parts of the country ).
Company name is Wilson Combat.

RH

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It was my understanding that Hugo Vivero owned Wilson barrels and Cooper firearms.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My Mistake

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Oldelkhunter-

Friend, you are very wrong. Bill Wilson is a Arkansas fellow, ( that lives on his ranch in Texas alot ) that builds some of the finest firearms made. Built his reputation on shooting 1911's and then got in the business of making custom's. His shop, it's big, is in NW AR. He does alot of weapon platforms, AR's, pistolas, etc. for DOD, and other 3 letter folks..... I'm privileged to know several workers there, been through the shop, etc................. My dept. was the first LE dept. to carry the company's LE AR15's. I wish they would give tours to the public because alot of folks on The Fire would love to see how the elite military weapons are made.
Also, many parts for other higher end firearm companies are being produced. They have a problem finding enough workers because background checks prohibit any felons. The class III stuff prohibits that. Lots of meth, etc in the area ( as well as in many parts of the country ).
Company name is Wilson Combat.

RH

That makes sense.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Melvin has been trying to sell that company since before the Colt fiasco, I am not surprised.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Oldelkhunter-

I hope Bill Wilson is able to purchase the business and the 3rd time sell is the charm! I'm a very big Melvin Forbes fan and Bill Wilson would be able to take NULA to the next level. Fieldcraft who????? LOL. Alot of the competition have caught up somewhat with Melvins ideas, etc. but quality is such a major key, ie Colt Light and Forbes. Mr. Forbes is the TRUE PIONEER of the very accurate ultra light rifles! Again, I hope it happens.

RH

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If true I hope it works out for both of them and me to that way i have someone to re build my present nula rifles in ten years

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have no doubt Wilson Combat 1911’s are fine firearms, I’ve shot a couple of them, but I would by an Ed Brown every time over them, and likely save a nice chunk of change in doing so. Heck, last I looked, a guy could by two of the phenomenal Dan Wesson Valors and still have cash left compared to a Wilson. My point is that everything I’ve seen with the Wilson combat name is overpriced, significantly. I’m an Arkansas guy, and like to see Arkansas companies, brands and people succeed, but if Wilson buys NULA, I expect prices to go up significantly.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by drano 25
I have no doubt Wilson Combat 1911’s are fine firearms, I’ve shot a couple of them, but I would by an Ed Brown every time over them, and likely save a nice chunk of change in doing so. Heck, last I looked, a guy could by two of the phenomenal Dan Wesson Valors and still have cash left compared to a Wilson. My point is that everything I’ve seen with the Wilson combat name is overpriced, significantly. I’m an Arkansas guy, and like to see Arkansas companies, brands and people succeed, but if Wilson buys NULA, I expect prices to go up significantly.

A significantly more man-hours of labor go into a Wilson Combat than a Dan Wesson.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by tylerw02

A significantly more man-hours of labor go into a Wilson Combat than a Dan Wesson.

I've had both, both are fine weapons.

2 Wilson's remain, the DWs were sent to new homes.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tylerw02

No doubt that’s true but at what point do you reach the point of diminishing returns? If 2 pistols shoot and perform equally well then what does one get for the additional man hours and astronomical price? I’m not knocking Wilson or any semi custom makers….. I’ve owned and sold several, I just never saw the $2000-3000 more as being worth it.imho

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good, maybe a NULA can break the $5k ceiling.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, they aren't far of now.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Some appreciate the difference in fine rifles and pistols. Most get them to tell their friends. Same ones who buy products to go in their beards and pay someone to groom them.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Nice RUG on the guy on the left-----LOOKS LIKE A DOOR MAT!

Maybe with a name like that it is -----A FLYING CARPET!

Last edited by Hipshoot; 05/13/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not a rumor!!! Wilson Combat purchased NULA in early April and is being moved to Arkansas, Don't ask me how I know!

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Good news that the line will continue with a known quality builder.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
seems odd melvin would tell me to send my rifle in for a re barrel and we talked about the issues and pricing increases he is dealing with if the company was sold and this was yesterday

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by gene270
seems odd melvin would tell me to send my rifle in for a re barrel and we talked about the issues and pricing increases he is dealing with if the company was sold and this was yesterday

Maybe the deal was just struck and it won't close for a few months.....plenty of due diligence to be done.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Maybe it will work this time.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Not a rumor!!! Wilson Combat purchased NULA in early April and is being moved to Arkansas, Don't ask me how I know!
OK.

How do you know?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Interesting....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
well we would be a month into the buy out and it would seem machines would be in shipment I would think to their new location not to mention crucibel steel got sold and douglas doesnt know when they will be getting stainless in for a barrel and that is what i want but melvin said send it and he is ordering other things to make guns....just seems odd but its not my business so i can only speculate

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Nothing was mentioned to me when I sent my gun in last month to Melvin. It will be a couple months turnaround because of the rebarrel job. He must be in business still that long at least. I was hoping to get a second one done, might not be enough time I guess.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Melvin does the rebarreling/conversions himself outside of NULA. That’s why you make the check out to him directly. I’m speculating but doubt Wilson will make the rifles using Melvins equipment and instead use cnc machines so Melvin can still continue to do work on NULAs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wilson will charge at least $5K for a “NULA”. I’m glad the end of Melvin won’t be the end of NULA. But damn.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
Nice RUG on the guy on the left-----LOOKS LIKE A DOOR MAT!I think

Maybe with a name like that it is -----A FLYING CARPET!
It's been the same for a very long time.

He's an okay guy, I think.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Razorhog
They have a problem finding enough workers because background checks prohibit any felons. The class III stuff prohibits that.RH

I am looking forward to retiring soon as I get my medical condition taken care of, wonder what the pay rate and vacation schedule is like. I could relocate for the right gig, although the GF probably wouldn't like it.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

thats bs, and i know for a fact otherwise but am not at liberty to speak details

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ilikeguns

thats bs, and i know for a fact otherwise but am not at liberty to speak details

Lovely……….

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My money is on the fella from West Virginia. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

We will see about the 27th of May at the NRA Convention.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always interesting to read posts from people who absolutely know what's going on, and don't....

Had a 2-hour conversation with Melvin yesterday, but can't reveal the real deal for a little while.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Always interesting to read posts from people who absolutely know what's going on, and don't....

Had a 2-hour conversation with Melvin yesterday, but can't reveal the real deal for a little while.

I’m happy for Melvin that there is a deal. I hope the company will be in good hands and lives on for many years.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have no doubt Wilson Combat 1911’s are fine firearms, I’ve shot a couple of them, but I would by an Ed Brown every time over them, and likely save a nice chunk of change in doing so.

You do know Ed Brown's 1911s are every bit as expensive and reliable/accurate as the WC 1911s right?

Surely you would at least go to Brown's website and verify the utter BS you are spewing.

I have a Wilson CQB Compact that I have had for years, back when they were sub $2500 it was gifted to me by my uncle before he passed, I have owned full size Wilson, Baer and Brown, and sadly let them go for trivial unjustified reasons related to either weight or size.

To try and put DW or any other mass produced 1911 up against any of the top shelf 1911 builders is ludicrous at best, but I would put DW and S&W 1911s up there above a myriad of other options.

FTR, I wouldn't put Kimber in the same basket as a Philippines made RIA, I have had a dozen of those over priced and unreliable turds and was disappointed every damn time.

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

I’m happy for Melvin that there is a deal. I hope the company will be in good hands and lives on for many years.

Yep.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was just about to place an order for a short Model 20.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
well if he takes your order your good to go i would think

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I doubt the quality will suffer if NULA is taken over by WC.

I have lots of WC products and haven’t found one that I’m unhappy with.

I’d expect a production rifle of the same quality as a Barrett Fieldcraft.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I agree David.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I’d expect a production rifle of the same quality as a Barrett Fieldcraft.

What would you expect for a price?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know, but if I were Bill, I'd benchmark it off the MAP for the Fieldcraft when in production, or the Seekins Havak.

He seems to have mass manufacture of precision parts down pretty well, and is savvy on market conditions.

Even if the buyer is not WC, I hope Bill jumps into the Fray.

John Stark.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

The event time table has been changed. Now scheduled to happen this coming Monday.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
so where will we see or here about this event

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Amazing how people can be so adamant about being right, when one or the other is obviously wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like all the secrecy and 'ask me how I know', 'not at liberty to say', and 'cant reveal the real deal' stuff. Do you guys have a secret skwirl society, complete with handshake? Maybe a cool clubhouse? Is Darla involved?....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hopefully they are S/S and realized. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
And all I posted was a rumor...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
OK, here's what I know, from a 2-hour conversation with Melvin a few days ago. Am getting weary of hearing different stuff--which will all be public soon anyway.

Bill Wilson has basically purchased NULA. The rifle production will be moved to his factory in Arkansas. For those wo don't know Wilson Combat, they make very high-quality 1911 Colt-based handguns, AR rifles, and (more recently) pump shotguns. Have shot their handguns and ARs considerably, but not the shotguns.

Bill was already thinking of adding a bolt-action rifle to the line-up, and when Melvin decided to semi-retire made a deal to produce NULAs in his Arkansas plant, which has CNC machinery. He'll be able to produce them quicker, and very well. Melvin has already sent the mechanical drawings to Bill.

The NULA back-up service will remain in West Virginia. This includes any modification of existing NULA rifles, or upgrades in Colt Light or Forbes Rifles. Melvin said they usually have about a dozen Colt Light Rifles on hand for upgrades.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hopefully S/S and (5) fasteners remain a fixture. Pun intended. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nah hopefully they keep it 4, with Talley lw’s. For folks that actually “hunt” and don’t wander around black bears ascairt throwing their rifles around like stupid cuunts… 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some folks actually shoot wares that exist,while those far less fortunate "get" to Google and Pretend aloud. Hint.............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It doesn’t “exist “ yet dummy. 😅😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Brokedicks HILARIOUSLY "convince" themselves of many things,as they Google their Imagination and Pretend. Hint.

The blueprint is more than a "touch" established,as The Splendid Pixels convey and obscene round counts correlate. Hint..................

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Your bitch/whine hasn’t happened yet. No one is interested in a trout rifle, except you.

Now is when you really spill your guts and brag about “Pards” shootin train cars at 1400 with the fixed 6 big stick dumbfuuck imagination and pretend!!! Haha 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You could always start a Thread,if/when you "saw" your FIRST one. Hint.

Slow day,only one new rifle and one new scope(thus far)...though more than a "bit" of Mail remains. You be sure to stay tuned,Whine aloud and relish in your Brokedicktitude,despite it being your only "move". Hint.

Do NOT "forget",that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
“Established” haha you poor washed up worthless “bushelor”.

Pardon usin the 22 cm, more than a few times. 75’s for folks that actually “hunt”.. 😂👍👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Keep up, lil Kim I’m sure has her ass up in the air, and the fat tongued window licker is shiitin himself in your lap, while you dream up your next escapade…. 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Judman
Nah hopefully they keep it 4, with Talley lw’s. For folks that actually “hunt” and don’t wander around black bears ascairt throwing their rifles around like stupid cuunts… 👊🏻

Jud-

Being D&T’d with 5 holes won’t negate the use of talleys, if that’s going to be a deal breaker for you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'1,

She'd need a co-signer for the down payment. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh stop it liar LarryO, if I were a flumbling bumbling hard core cuunt like you, 5 might be worth a breath. Sorry, I just hunt. Haha

You do crack me up though!!! Haha

The kelpbed beach huntin chronicles never disappoint!!! Least the “ Pards” on the slope can give you the report!!! Lmfao

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Robert, it’s plumb amazing that you don’t have to use all the holes!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep hunting for the funds,but until then,you can gawk The Splendid Piixels and use your Imagination to Pretend that you "could too". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The event time table has been changed. Now scheduled to happen this coming Monday.

these time tables are comical and are both news to Melvin. its amazing how your in the loop with your finger on the pulse of the deal and one of the parties involved in the deal is oblivious to them.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
OK, here's what I know, from a 2-hour conversation with Melvin a few days ago. Am getting weary of hearing different stuff--which will all be public soon anyway.

Bill Wilson has basically purchased NULA. The rifle production will be moved to his factory in Arkansas. For those wo don't know Wilson Combat, they make very high-quality 1911 Colt-based handguns, AR rifles, and (more recently) pump shotguns. Have shot their handguns and ARs considerably, but not the shotguns.

Bill was already thinking of adding a bolt-action rifle to the line-up, and when Melvin decided to semi-retire made a deal to produce NULAs in his Arkansas plant, which has CNC machinery. He'll be able to produce them quicker, and very well. Melvin has already sent the mechanical drawings to Bill.

The NULA back-up service will remain in West Virginia. This includes any modification of existing NULA rifles, or upgrades in Colt Light or Forbes Rifles. Melvin said they usually have about a dozen Colt Light Rifles on hand for upgrades.

Rather surprised it took Bill so long to get around building bolt action rifles. He has had accomplished builder(s) employed for a good while there. I look forward to seeing the finished product from WC.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Mule Deer, You have it correct. Official news was to be released at the NRA Convention in Houston about the 27th but that has been changed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would expect a quality rifle from Wilson. Been a fan of theirs a while and I should have bought a pile of them when I was younger.

Ed Brown used to build rifles too for a bit didn't he?

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yes mule deer is correct and Melvin also was sending a rifle with the blueprints. as of yesterday nobody told Melvin of the may 27 date, or any announcement date.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Judman
Robert, it’s plumb amazing that you don’t have to use all the holes!!

You certainly don’t have to, but dammit I tried.

Tried a few different ring/rail combinations to utilize the 5 screw option but all were just a C.H. too high. So talleys it is

Last edited by robertham1; 05/20/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Teal
I would expect a quality rifle from Wilson. Been a fan of theirs a while and I should have bought a pile of them when I was younger.

Ed Brown used to build rifles too for a bit didn't he?

Yes he did and they were of excellent quality. Afraid he stopped because 1911 paid more.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Due to our recent purchase of the New Ultralight Arms (NULA) assets there will be a super lightweight high quality 300 HAM'R built on a mini action this fall available from Wilson Combat.

NULA

www.wilsoncombat.com

Is this enough proof for the non-believers? The information came from THE TEXAS HUNTING FORUM.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fhuqk ALL the "proprietary" Goat Fhuqk Bullschit and simply offer a 7" RPM 223 with 2.600" COAL and i'll happily take mine with (5) 8x40's in the roof. Hint.

Then go 224and 243 Grendel,both in 7" RPM. Hint.................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have and enjoy my 300 HAMR AR, but have a hard time seeing the advantages in a bolt gun, especially when the 6mm ARC/PPC is available in a bolt gun?

John Stark.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Fhuqk ALL the "proprietary" Goat Fhuqk Bullschit and simply offer a 7" RPM 223 with 2.600" COAL and i'll happily take mine with (5) 8x40's in the roof. Hint.

Then go 224and 243 Grendel,both in 7" RPM. Hint.................

Big time +1 on the 223. Would be the best thing going if it's run as a production model.

The 224 & 243, though very interesting rounds, are a bit "proprietary" for me....6.5 Grendel all the way before those two if it's production.

5x on the screws would be a plus regardless if someone goes rail or just rings. Extra connection on one and extra spacing on the other.

Would love to see the action stainless but can live with CM on it...if I have to. For me, I can't desire the barrel to be anything besides stainless.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd greedily take a 22 BR and 6 BR too. Hint.

A Featherweight 224 Grendel in 7" RPM,stoked with 88gr .545 BC Smooches,is rather sumptin' to behold. Hint.

The 22 PPC Alaska Fhuqking Improved is a MAGNIFICENT chambering and then some. Hint..................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Due to our recent purchase of the New Ultralight Arms (NULA) assets there will be a super lightweight high quality 300 HAM'R built on a mini action this fall available from Wilson Combat.

NULA

www.wilsoncombat.com

Is this enough proof for the non-believers? The information came from THE TEXAS HUNTING FORUM.

your trying to hard to be relevant bud, its already been established that the deal is in the works, im sure its in lawyers hands at the moment, but the early april purchase date was bogus, it wasn't offered until late April and agreed upon in may. the may 27 purchase notification press release date is bogus, it was never discussed with melvin and still hasn't been as of Thursday, no money has changed hands. its funny how people spew bs to be relevant. ive heard it from one of the horses mouths and he is laughing at this thread and the nonsense people outside the loop are saying.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

NULA

www.wilsoncombat.com

your trying to hard to be relevant bud, its already been established that the deal is in the works, im sure its in lawyers hands at the moment, but the early april purchase date was bogus, it wasn't offered until late April and agreed upon in may. the may 27 purchase notification press release date is bogus, it was never discussed with melvin and still hasn't been as of Thursday, no money has changed hands. its funny how people spew bs to be relevant. ive heard it from one of the horses mouths and he is laughing at this thread and the nonsense people outside the loop are saying.

ilikeguns, would you care to call or email Mr. Wilson? I can give you his number and his email.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what for? will he be able to verify your relevance in the conversation? the facts are out there now. bill Wilson bought nula we know that. i don't need "the texas hunting forum" you speak of to get my info or a link to wilsons website with no info about nula in it. i personally know Melvin, i know what's happening, and the statement is now up on nulas website. not may 27 as you predicted, not Monday as you predicted. don't spread misinformation your as bad as cnn

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

NULA

www.wilsoncombat.com

ilikeguns, I'm not sure where you "think" you are getting accurate information, but you are not!!!

My wife and I spent a VERY enjoyable day and evening meal with Melvin and Patty on Apr 20 and pretty much agreed on a deal, then the following Mon we came to an agreement over the PH.

A asset purchase agreement was signed and money has changed hands. Melvin has sent us sample parts, prints, various IP and has been great to work with helping us rapidly move forward on this project. The website has been turned over to us and has substantial edits including a nice quote on the home pg from Melvin and WC is now listed as the contact.

WC employees will be in WV receiving training from Melvin and his team within the next couple of weeks. We are trying to fast track this project so we have fill a substantial number of orders Melvin turned over to us and get the product into the marketplace. Melvin and team are completing all the guns they had in process at the time of the purchase. Also Melvin's team will continue to service the Colt and Forbes rifles.

Bill Wilson, President/CEO Wilson Combat

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
ilikeguns, BTY DALLDER is a good friend and part of our local shooting group here in NE TX

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Congratulations on the purchase and best of luck moving forward.

Will you be offering a full stainless version once the transition is completed?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Not initially, we're going to focus on the M20S and M20 built to Melvin's spec in the calibers listed on the website first, then add the M24, etc.. However a SS version is something I'd really like to eventually do since the team in our machine shops love cutting stainless.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BWilson
Not initially, we're going to focus on the M20S and M20 built to Melvin's spec in the calibers listed on the website first, then add the M24, etc.. However a SS version is something I'd really like to eventually do since the team in our machine shops love cutting stainless.

What version will you offer in 300 Ham'r? You mentioned a mini action?

I am excited to get one of those

Edit: Saw the 20 Short

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Congrats Bill from a fellow NW Arky! Looking forward to the next level ss ultralights!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Darryle

What version will you offer in 300 Ham'r? You mentioned a mini action?

I am excited to get one of those

Edit: Saw the 20 Short

Same 20S Melvin has been building will be available in .223 Wylde, 300 HAM'R and .350 Legend. If the 6mm ARC truly takes off and there is ever ammo available we'll probably add it too

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'Wilson,

It is always GREAT news,when someone who actually fhuqking shoots and understands same,gets to hold the reigns. Colt likes to Hilariously prove same,if only on accident and to their great chagrin. Hint.

The 6 ARC abounds,with ammo literally falling offa shelves and I've yet to see a box of HAM'R or Legend ammo upon same. If you can divulge,what do you factor '20 Short COAL confines to be? It'll be best in ARC and BR,by miles. Hint.

My fingers are crossed for the advent of same,wearing a S/S receiver,as they will simply fly off the fhuqking shelf. Here's hoping the transition is fluid and fast,if only for my selfish reasons to obtain multiples same...............

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
'Wilson,

It is always GREAT news,when someone who actually fhuqking shoots and understands same,gets to hold the reigns. Colt likes to Hilariously prove same,if only on accident and to their great chagrin. Hint.

The 6 ARC abounds,with ammo literally falling offa shelves and I've yet to see a box of HAM'R or Legend ammo upon same. If you can divulge,what do you factor '20 Short COAL confines to be? It'll be best in ARC and BR,by miles. Hint.

My fingers are crossed for the advent of same,wearing a S/S receiver,as they will simply fly off the fhuqking shelf. Here's hoping the transition is fluid and fast,if only for my selfish reasons to obtain multiples same...............
Dont scare him off man.
Lol

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
If you are wondering about the rumors you may have heard. Here is the story. Yes Melvin has sold New Ultra Light Arms to Bill Wilson at Wilson Combat. If you are worried about not being able to get your rifles serviced don’t worry I am going to be taking over that part out of the same building that we were in. Under a different name of course.

https://newultralightarms.com

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
My head is spinning………lol

I hope Elon doesn’t decide to invest in WC as it sounds like Mr Bill has a handle on things.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Former 20 Short COAL was 2.500",which will work for some folks in 223,even in Wylde. Given the advent in projectiles,I want a shorter case,which allows greater projectile length and that negates same from the race. Hint.

Going Grendel or BR,simply kicks windows of opportunity open and that COAL will happily feed them all. BR here,with .224" Beer Can and .243" Sugar 110 SMK,if only for conversation,at said COAL. Hint.

Keeping ogives at neck/shoulder juncture,paints a rather purty picture(assuming throat geometry is sound) and a 7BR would be Skookum. Hint.

Just sayin'.................

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Bill,
please keep the rimfire in the line up at some point .....thanks

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Bill,
Thank you for the reply. SS would motivate quite a few up here and elsewhere I’d imagine. Best of luck with the new endeavor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bill,
please keep the rimfire in the line up at some point .....thanks

Unfortunately,the Rimfires are epic pieces of fhuqking schit,as feed/function goes and all of it is mag/catch related. Hint.

Do the right schit right and let The Fluff be forgotten. Hint............

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i guess I was one of the lucky ones mine shoots and function with ease

Last edited by gene270; 05/21/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bill,

I emailed Tressa about my willingness to donate some time in testing a prototype 6mm ARC bolt gun.

She’s an enabler that way.

Although I get the feeling testers for your rifles are either in-house, or lined up pretty deep.

In any case, count me in for a 6mm ARC bolt gun when you start down that road.

The 6mm ARC I built with WC parts into a hunting AR for my wife is a better shooter than either of us.

I can see a 300 HAMR bolt gun if done with a 16-1/4” threaded barrel with a shoulder to land a suppressor.

That would be pretty handy.

I came to WC late in life, but am addicted now.

David

Same 20S Melvin has been building will be available in .223 Wylde, 300 HAM'R and .350 Legend. If the 6mm ARC truly takes off and there is ever ammo available we'll probably add it too

Last edited by David_Walter; 05/21/22.

John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've only been around halfa dozen or so Mel Rimfires and they are fhuqking dismal in feed/function/deformation. Hint.

Flipside. Hint.

Though in fairness,I've only (4) Vudoo's which are fhuqking flawless and a Dozen plus Annie 54's,which also pale in feed/function. Hint...................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
‘Stick,

Thoughts on the Bergera mini action BMR 22 LR?

John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the S/S RAR in a Boyd's(though they now come in Rutlidge),in the parcel expressly designed for Ruger rotary mags,by them who designed same. Hint..................(grin)

Just sayin'...............

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I too would be interested in the 6mm ARC. I have a mini Howa 6.5 Grendel stripped action to convert, but an off the shelf option would be fantastic.

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never even heard of the Howie Minie,let alone seen one...stripped or otherwise. Hint.

Give or fhuqking take. Hint.................

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd be interested in knowing if the stocks will be made the same way and whether the barrels will be full-length bedded.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
I'd be interested in knowing if the stocks will be made the same way and whether the barrels will be full-length bedded.

Good questions and I’d hope nothing will change. A NULA without that stock design/manufacturing isn’t the same gun.

I’d also hope the left handed versions will continue?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

Yes and yes

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bill,

Congratulations on this latest endeavor. And best of luck to your team.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Will the pricing be similar, higher or lower...or is it too early to say at this stage?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Dood, I just sent an order in for a Nula about 4 weeks back-wonder what this is going to do to my order?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Will the pricing be similar, higher or lower...or is it too early to say at this stage?

For now we've left retail the same. We will sell through dist/dealer/retail so street price will probably be less. That said, we hope to be able to lower the retail once we know our costs. We will be mfg the actions and barrels in much larger qty than Melvin has in the past on high efficiency CNC/EDM machines so this should lower costs.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
Dood, I just sent an order in for a Nula about 4 weeks back-wonder what this is going to do to my order?

All current orders have been turned over to WC to fill with the exception of 11 or so guns that Melvin already had in process at the time of the sale.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
And the lefty version is…….??

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Corder3825
If you are wondering about the rumors you may have heard. Here is the story. Yes Melvin has sold New Ultra Light Arms to Bill Wilson at Wilson Combat. If you are worried about not being able to get your rifles serviced don’t worry I am going to be taking over that part out of the same building that we were in. Under a different name of course.

https://newultralightarms.com
Great to hear Z!
👍

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bill thanks for answering my questions. After you have been producing these rifles for a little while, besides the option of a stainless steel action (even though I prefer a chrome-moly action and stainless barrel) another option may be a hinged floor-plate design. Although this would add a few ounces, the rifles would still be extremely light. But as I said, only as an option to the blind internal magazine. Thank you.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

All current orders have been turned over to WC to fill with the exception of 11 or so guns that Melvin already had in process at the time of the sale.
Mr. Wilson how much are you geusstimating a base line mod 20 in .308 will cost once you get up and running efficently production wise.
Prices on them I have surfed on the web are outrageous right now honestly.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think a "Campfire Special" build and group order would be a great way to kick things off!
Especially when the stainless actions are ready for production!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1 on the campfire special

John Stark.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
B Wilson

Thanks for keeping the NULA line of rifle alive.
Wish you the best of luck on your new adventure.

Hal

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by renegade50

Mr. Wilson how much are you geusstimating a base line mod 20 in .308 will cost once you get up and running efficently production wise.

Come on. Even if he knows at this point do you really expect a price release on a product that isn’t even made yet?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

For now we've left retail the same. We will sell through dist/dealer/retail so street price will probably be less. That said, we hope to be able to lower the retail once we know our costs. We will be mfg the actions and barrels in much larger qty than Melvin has in the past on high efficiency CNC/EDM machines so this should lower costs.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
ilikeguns, I'm not sure where you "think" you are getting accurate information, but you are not!!!

Love it. He sure was acting cocky. Bet that will pipe him down.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mr Wilson, its fabulous to see you taking time to post on this forum and keep your finger on the pulse. Its great to know a good thing Mr. Forbes created has potential to be even greater. This is especially refreshing given the shelving of the Fieldcraft. I'll be a customer I'm sure. The best of luck to you.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Mr. Wilson, do you foree offering fully customized options like what has been offered by NULA is the past?

Good luck with the new venture!

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

Bill, what about the left hand versions? I currently have 2 but could use another one or three.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

Last edited by nyrifleman; 05/21/22.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Mr Wilson, its fabulous to see you taking time to post on this forum and keep your finger on the pulse. Its great to know a good thing Mr. Forbes created has potential to be even greater. This is especially refreshing given the shelving of the Fieldcraft. I'll be a customer I'm sure. The best of luck to you.

Yep👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Mr. Wilson,

I know that you and your team will do it right but please keep the option for a custom LOP.

Semper Fi

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
agree with that fieldcraft and forbes had a 14 lop and the new nula is 13....isnt 13.5 standard for a lot of gun manufacturers

Last edited by gene270; 05/22/22.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
13.5 is pretty standard but I think 13 is better than 14. I would think with a deposit put down ordering the lop you want would be fairly easy to arrange. A deposit and patience should get the stock and barrel length you wish. I wouldn’t expect a bunch of different chamberings contours and such.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i dont think so....looks like they come with barrel lengths but that is it if you look at the web site.....more of a production than custom specially if they go thru dealers...but it is early in this journey

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I hear a bunch of guys who, for the most part, didn't order a NULA when Melvin was in charge bitching about custom options when, for the most part, they won't order a NULA when Wilson is in charge.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I haven’t read anything that would be considered bitching.

Other than the dust up on who knew what first nothing but nice things and questions have been posted.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hopefully you'll be able to get whatever your willing to pay for from Wilson Combat. That is unless Wilson Combat decides to sell the NULA at Barrett Fieldcraft prices, then you get what you get.

Life is good live it while you can.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
not sure if the bitchn applies to me but you would be wrong in the assumption if so...not bitchn just stating and i am glad the rifle line continues and Melvin is still working on the older ones

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Roger that Gene. You hit the nail on the head.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i will add something for Mr Wilson to consider
i have a few nula rifles and with the current trend of larger turrets on scopes the ejection angle seems to always throw the brass up into the scope...it seemed the fieldcraft rifles handled this better with a different ejector location and may be something to consider....thanks

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Gene, my post was not directed at you, just after yours in the queue.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If that means mine it’s a foolish comment. No one has bitched about anything. If you consider any of the conversations in this thread as bitching I’m sure you have hurt feelings pretty often.

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
And once again a thread heads south... Just what makes the "Bill Wilson's" of the industry want to participate.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by EdM
And once again a thread heads south... Just what makes the "Bill Wilson's" of the industry want to participate.

I guess this isn’t the time to ask about the muzzleloader’s future? Lol

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 05/22/22.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

Unfortunately a LONG ways down the road

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Bill thanks for answering my questions. After you have been producing these rifles for a little while, besides the option of a stainless steel action (even though I prefer a chrome-moly action and stainless barrel) another option may be a hinged floor-plate design. Although this would add a few ounces, the rifles would still be extremely light. But as I said, only as an option to the blind internal magazine. Thank you.

All of our barrels are stainless and we're already looking at a bottom metal (Aluminum) version as we convert paper prints to CAD

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by renegade50

It's just too early to know what our costs will be and also how much raw materials will cost when we get into production, but I'm hoping we can reduce the price some.

As I posted earlier, we will sell via dist/dealer/retail so actual "street" price will certainly be less.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
Mr. Wilson, do you foree offering fully customized options like what has been offered by NULA is the past?

Good luck with the new venture!

Yes, after all WC is a custom company, but we have to walk before we can run

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by haverluk
Mr. Wilson,

I know that you and your team will do it right but please keep the option for a custom LOP.

It is an option, but when we build a gun to sell it will have a 13" LOP

I'm not sure there is a industry "standard" on LOP, throughout all brands 12.5, 13, 13.25, 13.5 and 14 are all used.

Personally I like short and lightweight guns (all my ARs have a 12.5" LOP carbon fiber stock or has the adj stock set at 12.5". If you feel 13" is too short, just move your support hand slightly further up the forearm which will bring the butt back into your shoulder.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Some rifle stocks such as on Remingtons get away with a 13.5" LOP by having the pistol grip relatively close to the trigger which results in the trigger finger having a large bend in it, however this design keeps the thumb far enough away from your nose under recoil and also gives a reasonably long distance from the front of the pistol grip to the recoil pad. Other brands eg some European brands have the pistol grip further away from the trigger and your trigger finger is not bent as much...however if these stocks had a 13.5" length of pull, the thumb gets too close to your nose, and the distance from the front of the pistol grip to the recoil pad is shorter... so a longer LOP is better on these designs of stocks. The point I'm making is that the ideal LOP for any particular individual varies according to the design of the stock. Note I am addressing this to those who say they like a certain LOP.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 05/22/22.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hat's off to Mr. Wilson. Looking forward to their availability and getting hands on one.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Mr. Wilson,

I'm not sure there is a industry "standard" on LOP, throughout all brands 12.5, 13, 13.25, 13.5 and 14 are all used.

Personally I like short and lightweight guns (all my ARs have a 12.5" LOP carbon fiber stock or has the adj stock set at 12.5". If you feel 13" is too short, just move your support hand slightly further up the forearm which will bring the butt back into your shoulder.

I understand why a "standard" LOP would be appropriate for a production rifle. I am 6'6" and prefer a 14.5 to 15" LOP for all-around use on a bolt rifle. Anything under 14" is uncomfortably short using that same shooting style you have described above. My current NULA M20 in 308 has a 14.5" LOP and is comfortable but would not want it any shorter. A custom / semi-custom was the main draw for many to Melvin's rifles. The ability to get a LW rifle that fit me was a huge draw for me.

The Colt light rifle, Forbes and Barrett iterations were production rifles. The Barrett was the only successful rifle IMO. I also appreciate the Kimber Montana rifles but it fits my 6 and 8 year old kids better as a "youth" rifles than it does me as a large adult man.

I know that you will make awesome rifles for the masses but I hope that does not alienate the folks that came to Melvin for a custom rifle not just a lightweight rifle.

Semper Fi

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Mr. Wilson,

I understand why a "standard" LOP would be appropriate for a production rifle. I am 6'6" and prefer a 14.5 to 15" LOP for all-around use on a bolt rifle. Anything under 14" is uncomfortably short using that same shooting style you have described above. My current NULA M20 in 308 has a 14.5" LOP and is comfortable but would not want it any shorter. A custom / semi-custom was the main draw for many to Melvin's rifles. The ability to get a LW rifle that fit me was a huge draw for me.

The Colt light rifle, Forbes and Barrett iterations were production rifles. The Barrett was the only successful rifle IMO. I also appreciate the Kimber Montana rifles but it fits my 6 and 8 year old kids better as a "youth" rifles than it does me as a large adult man.

I know that you will make awesome rifles for the masses but I hope that does not alienate the folks that came to Melvin for a custom rifle not just a lightweight rifle.

As posted before, custom LOP is available, see "Standard Features/Customization" at the Rifle tab on the website under the M20 spec

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any plans on threaded barrels set up for suppressors?

As I mentioned earlier, a short 300 HAMR threaded would check a lot of boxes

John Stark.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bill,
Sorry to inundate with questions.
Will one still be able to select contour, or is that a down the road possibility?
Thanks.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Any plans on threaded barrels set up for suppressors?

As I mentioned earlier, a short 300 HAMR threaded would check a lot of boxes

Guys, please check out NEWULTRALIGHTARMS.COM before asking ?s, many of the questions I've answered so far are answered on the web site.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Mr. Wilson,

As posted before, custom LOP is available, see "Standard Features/Customization" at the Rifle tab on the website under the M20 spec

Mr. Wilson, Thank you for the clarification! I misinterpreted your initial response.

Semper Fi

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
ilikeguns got real quiet. Was hoping to get the real scoop from someone in the know.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Copy. I was looking on the WC site.

All the questions asked by me and others are answered on the NEWULTRALIGHTARMS.COM site.

Hit “MENU” and drive the site from there.

John Stark.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mr. Wilson,

Well that puts me out of the market. I am comfortable with a 14" LOP. I have one rifle with a 13.5" LOP and I feel like I'm going to get scoped.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

All the questions asked by me and others are answered on the NEWULTRALIGHTARMS.COM site.

I didn’t see a contour option, but I’ll admit I may have overlooked it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Unfortunately a LONG ways down the road

Oh c’mon man,

No lefty’s for a while?

Love my lefty Protector.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

yea-I was looking at the wilson as well...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
why does that put you out of the market...you need to read more of this thread and go to the web site a custom lop is 50 dollars extra but available

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I know this is the 24hr Campfire, but there is no reason to be snarky.

The website says that, yes, and when I talked to Mr. Forbes a year ago I could have the LOP I wanted, but Mr. Wilson just wrote he is now sticking with 13" and to adjust your hold if that is too short. So yes I have been following the thread. It does look as though if a person orders one he/she can get a LOP they want, but those that are sold retail will have a 13" LOP. If that is incorrect please correct.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 05/23/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brother, this is the Land-of-Snarky.

It just is.

Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I know this is the 24hr Campfire, but there is no reason to be snarky.

John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
13” LOP is short for me! I would not be interested in a rifle with that sort of LOP.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Bugger
13” LOP is short for me! I would not be interested in a rifle with that sort of LOP.

Were you interested in NULAs 8 days ago when they offered customs lengths?

All last week I was so excited to call Melvin this morning and place my order for an 18" .308. On Saturday night I decided to do some reading and learned I won't be talking to Melvin after all.

For me the, the first $2400 was the rifle itself while the second $2400 was getting an original work of art by a master. Not sure how I feel now that Melvin's hands won't be involved.

I wonder if the sale will trigger some NULAs coming out of the safes and onto the auction sites for 'cast & see' prices?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yeah, I know.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
So all model 20’s are going to be #1 contour?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
OK, did some research on this LOP issue that so many seem to have their panties in a wad over.....

We currently have 80 guns on order, the requested LOP ranges from 12.5" to 14.25" with an average of 13.39" with the most frequently ordered LOP being 13.25"

So we're going to change the "standard" LOP to 13.25"

As to contours we are working on that, but will probably be something kinda between a #1 and #2. On lightweight AR barrels we've had good accuracy with straight contour barrels as thin as a .150" sidewall (Example: .308 .610" dia.). With the popularity of threaded muzzles we'll obviously have to increase the diameter before the threads on a .610" barrel up to .740" like we do on AR barrels to allow for a shoulder if threaded 5/8-24.

Thanks for the interest and please be patient, as more info becomes available we will update the NULA website.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
hang in their Bill its the internet where you can get information if you want or be snarky i guess...but thanks for keeping a great rifle platform alive

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For decades, Remington used 13 3/8" as standard on the 700. Always seemed like a sensible number. Right on your 13.39" average. Depending on stock design, 13.2-13.6" seems sensible as a standard starting point.

Now with even more aplomb
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Just got off the phone with Lamar at Wilson Combat. If they have someone this patient and knowledgeable answering phones I would bet it is a reflection of their culture of hiring and training.

After speaking with Lamar, I'm super optimistic NULA fans are in great hands with WC. The WC emploees just found out about this last week so Lamar has to get back to me on a couple questions before placing my order.

Imagine if Melvin sold to Kel-Tec.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Don’t run Mr Wilson off now. LOL

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
hang in their Bill its the internet where you can get information if you want or be snarky i guess...but thanks for keeping a great rifle platform alive

+1

And thank you for the reply regarding contour.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We live in the salad days of bullet, powder and rifle technology.

It great to be alive.

John Stark.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I vote to add 6mm ARC to the short 20s -- I would be in line ASAP

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Something about WC's purchase and Bill being a former watchmaker gives me great comfort about NULA's future. I am, however, hoping that a Lefty isn't too far off in the distance. Well done, Melvin and Bill.

cf

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad to hear this.

As to 13.25" LOP - spot on perfect for me. The last several McM stocks have all been 13.25 LOP.

I could get real excited about a 284 Win in shortish action.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
13.25" is still a little short. I've been adding 1" recoil pads on Remington stocks. I'd prefer 14" or more myself

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
OK, did some research on this LOP issue that so many seem to have their panties in a wad over.....

We currently have 80 guns on order, the requested LOP ranges from 12.5" to 14.25" with an average of 13.39" with the most frequently ordered LOP being 13.25"

So we're going to change the "standard" LOP to 13.25"

As to contours we are working on that, but will probably be something kinda between a #1 and #2. On lightweight AR barrels we've had good accuracy with straight contour barrels as thin as a .150" sidewall (Example: .308 .610" dia.). With the popularity of threaded muzzles we'll obviously have to increase the diameter before the threads on a .610" barrel up to .740" like we do on AR barrels to allow for a shoulder if threaded 5/8-24.

Thanks for the interest and please be patient, as more info becomes available we will update the NULA website.

Looking forward to your influence on the rifle. The NULA stock is 7-8 oz. more than the Manners Classic Ultralight. That's weight that could go into the barrel. Also, with a no. 1 or even no. 2 contour barrel, the fore-end has waaay too much meat around the barrel as it does around the action. Be great if you could slim up the stock a bit.

TIA and good luck.

Tarquin
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
if weight was the only thing i was concerned with maybe...but i want the stock to have a good feel to it also....just my 2 cents

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
13.25" is still a little short. I've been adding 1" recoil pads on Remington stocks. I'd prefer 14" or more myself

Have you read anything? You can still order your lop. I think most reply before reading anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I appreciate Mr. Wilson taking the time to come here and clear things up. I have no doubt WC will make a good product.

Hopefully the glue eaters don’t run him off.

Yup.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
if weight was the only thing i was concerned with maybe...but i want the stock to have a good feel to it also....just my 2 cents
Agree with gene. We all have opinions. I wouldn’t change a thing except making the action stainless. The appeal of the nula is feel and balance.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yep. The order form has your choice of LOP. Lmao

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Have you read anything? You can still order your lop. I think most reply before reading anything.

I understand you can get what you want when you order. My comment was just a comment. I don’t like short stocks.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
How many of you are going to wait for the stainless receiver and barrel version?

Last edited by Alessio; 05/23/22.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Alessio
How many of you are going to wait for the stainless receiver and barrel version?
Guilty.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have two NULA’s currently and have owned four in total. While I’m excited that Wilson Combat will continue Melvin’s rifle, I’m going to miss the full custom options that have always been a hallmark of the line.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is going to sound heretical but......

I wish the M20 was a tad heavier. A 5lb rifle in 284 or 308 might be a tad sporty. I've never shot one but have heard from more than 1 owner the perceived recoil is less than it would seem. I've been toying with building/buying another 0.284 cartridge and the 284 win always seemed like a good choice. A 139 LRX in a 284 win would likely cover alot of ground wink

What is the mag box COAL on the M20? If I recall it's close to 3"?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I’m late to the suppressor game but for me it’s changed my mind on just how I want to build a rifle.

I believe the barrel contour he’s talking about with the end to step up would be awesome. Light short and suppressed. I know many people do not want them but I do know anyone who has used them and stoped.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bwinters

I wish the M20 was a tad heavier. A 5lb rifle in 284 or 308 might be a tad sporty. I've never shot one but have heard from more than 1 owner the perceived recoil is less than it would seem. I've been toying with building/buying another 0.284 cartridge and the 284 win always seemed like a good choice. A 139 LRX in a 284 win would likely cover alot of ground wink

The mag box is 3" on the M20's. I'm a big fan of them.

I've wished for a touch more forward balance from time to time but never wished for heavier overall when hunting. Since moving to other mounts/rings than TLW's and heavier scopes I've really not wished for any heavier on the rifle.

Kaleb mentioned suppressed shooting and I really like it when just "shooting" but I don't hunt with it. Suppressed has LOTS of advantages but I can't stand carrying them for anything other than a short walk. They do add forward balance so that is a consideration. Everyone has different preferences though....THE reason for a custom is getting exactly what you want.....and the trade off is more $.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by bwinters

I've been hunting with a NULA .308 for at least twelve years. It has a #1 22" barrel and it weighs just under 6 lbs. with a 6x36 Leupold. Recoil is noticeably less than I anticipated, even with 180 grain bullets and its not uncomfortable to shoot even off the bench. Whether it's stock design or something else, I don't know, but recoil is quite manageable. I can say the same for a NULA 28 in 7x61 Sharpe & Hart, but I had Mr. Forbes put a 26" #3 barrel on that one as I anticipated a heavy recoil. Recoil is not at all unpleasant. It weighs just under seven pounds with a 2.5x-8x Leupold.

I haven't measured the magazine box on the .308 in quite a while, but I know it can handle a longer OAL than other .308 magazines. It may be 3". I no longer do any load development with this rifle; I've settled on a Barnes 150 TTSX and H4895 powder. Works well on elk. OAL is conventional .308 at 2.81".

Last edited by lotech; 05/24/22.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
lotech,

The standard magazine boxes on Model 20s have been three inches long since Melvin started making them in the 1980s.

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
MD-Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that was right wasn't sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks John.

U
U
I just ordered my first Nula. I spoke with Melvin yesterday after submitting a work order last week. I hope he builds my rifle. Is Melvin fulfilling the current orders? I see that many of the options I selected not available on the current website.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
so what did you order and what options if any did you get

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by USLA
I just ordered my first Nula. I spoke with Melvin yesterday after submitting a work order last week. I hope he builds my rifle. Is Melvin fulfilling the current orders? I see that many of the options I selected not available on the current website.

If you talked to Melvin yesterday, I’d hope you would have asked him who’s building it.

U
U
I ordered a matte finish .308 Win. with a 22 inch number 1 contour barrel, in original forest camo. I didn’t know about the transfer of ownership. No fault of anyone, I have saved a long time to afford my dream gun. I have always wanted model 20 in forest camo made by Mr. Forbes.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.