24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ultraviolet light apparently healed an infection for me.

I got a painful infection in one finger a few weeks ago when I knicked myself while helping skin a mountain lion. Tried the usual alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, opening skin to get meds down into the wound, polysporin, etc. with a band-aid to hold the med in place. It would fade a bit then come back stronger and more painful.

I tried ultraviolet light from a cheap disinfecting wand, ten seconds of light exposure with the light half an inch from the injury. Did that once a day for two days and the infection was totally gone and has not returned.

UV may cause skin cancer but that is extremely unlikely from a brief exposure. From reading online apparently UV is cautiously being used more and more for such healing.

FWIW

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very interesting.

ETA:
Where did you purchase the wand ?

Last edited by Houston_2; 05/10/22.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Before the days of antibiotics did they not use sunlight to help heal wounds????

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Muffin
Before the days of antibiotics did they not use sunlight to help heal wounds????

And homemade salt water.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
My daughter the nurse says peroxide kills the skin, bad for wounds, don’t know if she is full of cshit.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We bought one of these devices at work during the height of covid, supposed to kill bacteria and bad stuff. Had a local science highschool class do tests before and after, they didn't do squat. Waste of money.

Last edited by killerv; 05/10/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another alternative to antibiotic ointments is raw honey. I am allergic to Polysporin/Neosporin, and I have gotten good results using he honey from our hives.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by killerv
We bought one of these devices at work during the height of covid, supposed to kill bacteria and bad stuff. Had a local science highschool class do tests before and after, they didn't do squat. Waste of money.

Just info along these lines.

UV light is commonly used in desalinators for drinking water (Water Makers) and in offshore sewer processing before discharging to the sea.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Relative has had UV-B treatments for skin issues.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I got the idea of UV light from the way sunlight has cured fungal infections for me. On the rare times I've had either crotch rot or athlete's foot, sunlight has been the best and quickest cure. I read that doctors on Corregidor put gangrene wounds in direct sunlight when they ran out of medicine, and it worked.

I bought mine from Amazon or Ebay, called a portable disinfection light, battery operated. Think I paid $19 for it. It claims "up to" 99.99% sterilization, but the fine print mentions time exposure and very close to item being disinfected. I've used it on two infections and it killed/cured both within hours.

Re hydrogen peroxide on skin: a Dr. told me the same, that it kills a lot of good cells along with the bad. I have used it anyway because IME it usually helps overall healing.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by hanco
My daughter the nurse says peroxide kills the skin, bad for wounds, don’t know if she is full of cshit.

It denatures the cells. She is correct.

Last edited by Jcubed; 05/10/22.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Okanagan

I got the idea of UV light from the way sunlight has cured fungal infections for me. On the rare times I've had either crotch rot or athlete's foot, sunlight has been the best and quickest cure. I read that doctors on Corregidor put gangrene wounds in direct sunlight when they ran out of medicine, and it worked.

I bought mine from Amazon or Ebay, called a portable disinfection light, battery operated. Think I paid $19 for it. It claims "up to" 99.99% sterilization, but the fine print mentions time exposure and very close to item being disinfected. I've used it on two infections and it killed/cured both within hours.

Re hydrogen peroxide on skin: a Dr. told me the same, that it kills a lot of good cells along with the bad. I have used it anyway because IME it usually helps overall healing.

Be wary.

Ymmv

Last edited by Jcubed; 05/10/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I just keep a bottle of isopropyl handy. 70% works pretty good, but the 91% really whacks bugs.

Almost cut my big toe off with a mower (yeah, yeah, I know blush ) and when I got to the hospital the ER doc said "That looks awfully clean". I told him it happened right outside the door, I hopped in, grabbed the quart of isopropyl, gave it a big squirt, grabbed a towel and had the neighbor drive me up. He then said "That must have hurt"................

I kinda looked at him and said "Not as much as the mower blade hitting it"

Jeebus, some people. grin

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (257Bob, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 72 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.