Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is there any interest in the old 22 scopes. i have a couple and was wondering if people still use them. Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well, it depends on what scope they are? Lyman's, Urntranl's (SP) Flecker's etc are highly sought-after target scopes. Small 4X stuff that came with a package deal not worth much.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm always looking for quality older vintage scopes to match up with vintage rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a couple of Weaver J 2.5 scopes.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Well, it depends on what scope they are? Lyman's, Urntranl's (SP) Flecker's etc are highly sought-after target scopes. Small 4X stuff that came with a package deal not worth much.
Good post. Very vague OP..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The one smithrjd mentioned are good ones but there is a following for some of the other vintage ones (in good+ condition) weavers, Mossberg, Redfield, Marlin and a few others. Many times someone (me included) want a scope to go with the rifle so some of my Mossbergs have Mossberg scopes, Marlin 39 a Marlin scope that came with them at the time, etc…..

So it really depend on what you have and the condition?

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 05/10/22.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I got a Weaver 29S on my Savage 6A. 3/4 inch tube and was I surprised to find out it's actually a centerfire scope!
Going to have it cleaned/ serviced. It's perfect on my old click clack!
Vintage gun scopes can work on a number of vintage scopes. Some of these old scopes red line the cool factor on an old rifle.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't been to a gun show in a couple years thanks to you-know-what but back then I was starting to see more of the older optical stuff showing up on tables and folks were buying some of them. Only old .22 scope currently here is a sweet old 4X "Bushnell Banner .22" that's on a Winchester Model 121-D .22. I purchased that scope brand new circa 1994-95 and put it on that Winchester. Rifle sees little use nowadays ( my son used to shoot it) but that over 25 year old scope has never lost zero and the optics are as clear as when I bought it. I also like it because it has a neat vintage look to it that goes well with that mid 1960's Winchester.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with what has been posted about a lot of those older 22 scopes being sought for a vintage rifle. However those buyers are looking for a mint condition or gently used with patena. They won’t be interested in the abused and put away wet units.
My .02

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PennDog
The one smithrjd mentioned are good ones but there is a following for some of the other vintage ones (in good+ condition) weavers, Mossberg, Redfield, Marlin and a few others. Many times someone (me included) want a scope to go with the rifle so some of my Mossbergs have Mossberg scopes, Marlin 39 a Marlin scope that came with them at the time, etc…..

So it really depend on what you have and the condition?

PennDog
I always thought that one day I will find a good scope for this one:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
It has the original mounting blocks. When the op says "old scopes", it could mean a whole lot of things. ..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Old 22 scopes are right proper on old 22’s
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
BSA…you should get some vintage glass to make that 52 pop! Not that you don’t shoot it pretty damn well with irons…

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
……….now that’s what I’m talking about👍 Nice rifles guys!!

PennDog

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Indeed! BSA, that 52 is crying out for a classic 16-20x Unertl, Targetspot, Fecker - something that'll really let it sing.

Little .22 scopes from the 40's-60's had less than desirable optics back then and they haven't improved with age. I like them for display purposes but cringe when I have to work with one. I opt for good aperture sights in their stead.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
There is definitely something to be said about vintage guns paired with vintage optics. Just as modern guns deserve modern optics.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
BSA…you should get some vintage glass to make that 52 pop! Not that you don’t shoot it pretty damn well with irons…
Thanks buddy. You have a very nice collection there. Yeah, the 52 is pretty easy to shoot with irons, but I have to shoot it right handed. It would be cool to have an old scope so I can sit behind it and shoot it proper (left handed). I don't know how much I'd use it with the old scope, but it sure would be cool to finish it out with a nice Lyman or Unertl. The guys at my club have some old 52's like mine and they do very well scoped with the old target scopes. When I first joined the club, I found it amazing that such an old gun and scope could punch a single hole in the target. Then when I saw them doing it with irons, that made it that much more amazing to me!!! The funny thing is my old rifle shoots better than I can. I have to admit something. I was at a new range closer to home last year and a younger guy (maybe in his 30's) was there from California. He said he shot a little competition there and had always wanted a model 52. I asked if he would shoot mine and he jumped at the opportunity. He put 10 shots in a smaller hole than I normally do and said, "boy is this a sweetheart". I thanked him for shooting my rifle so I could see what it could really do. Now the OP is wondering what this has to do with "old" 22 scopes.. But with all the eye candy you guys are posting, he can't really complain!!!! Nice rifles guys.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a Lyman Alaskan with 2 minute LEE dot on my Springfield 1922 M2 Sporter. Anschutz mannlicher M/64 wears a Baby Redfield 3/4" 4x.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That old baby Redfield 3/4" 4x is a real sweetheart.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I found a Lyman Super Targetspot 24X still in the wood box with all paperwork and clean mounts for the BSA International MKIII, my old eyes could not do justice with the Parker Hale peeps any longer now its bug holes again.
There is value in some old 22 scopes, as many have said for vintage setups. Condition is key.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Certifiable you are. 😎

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,218
Posts18,466,391
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.