Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hybrids make sense for the 90+% of us who don't haul giant horse trailers up Pike's Peak every weekend. We use my wife's as our travel car because it's so comfortable and uses so little gas. Toyota technology is so good that they now say the battery in their hybrids is probably good for the life of the car. It's only "probably" because they're still quite new.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Hybrids make sense for the 90+% of us who don't haul giant horse trailers up Pike's Peak every weekend. We use my wife's as our travel car because it's so comfortable and uses so little gas. Toyota technology is so good that they now say the battery in their hybrids is probably good for the life of the car. It's only "probably" because they're still quite new.

Rocky, our Minister has one and last we talked about it months back (I asked) he was coming up on the 200k mile mark on his Toyota and with only regular mechanical maintenance items.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Houston_2

Rocky, our Minister has one and last we talked about it months back (I asked) he was coming up on the 200k mile mark on his Toyota and with only regular mechanical maintenance items.

Do they ever charge their batteries with solar panels and wind turbines?

Last edited by victoro; 05/10/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
victoro, you "charge" a hybrid at the gas pump. You obviously have not a clue what a hybrid vehicle is.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Jeebus...you guys are "forced" to buy internal combustion now. Forced to pay 4.50 for gas.

Forced to pay for oil wars in the MidEast that accomplish nothing but transfer your wealth around to Wall Street, Big oil and terrorists.

Having the choice to go electric or hybrid makes your water break?

Fugg.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I could buy a electric car but up here in the middle of northern ND. But I couldn’t get out of the state. Edk

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gonna vote this year?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I still think a small turbine engine to power a charging system is viable and potentially more efficient than the 4, 6, and 8 cyl IC engines we’re using in conjunction w/batteries currently.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by horse1
I still think a small turbine engine to power a charging system is viable and potentially more efficient than the 4, 6, and 8 cyl IC engines we’re using in conjunction w/batteries currently.

What would power the turbine engine?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've driven over 800 miles in the past 36 hrs seeing clients and doing marketing calls. How does that work with them batteries?

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I've driven over 800 miles in the past 36 hrs seeing clients and doing marketing calls. How does that work with them batteries?

Obviously EV’s are not for every situation. But if your EV had a fast charging system and you lived in an area with a good charger network 800 miles in 36 hours is very easy. Most quality EV’s can go from 20-30 to 80% in the time you stop to take a leak and eat a meal.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Electric vehicles are a very old idea. The current iterations have come a long way since the lead-acid versions of 100 years ago though and can actually make sense in certain driving situations such as a commuter vehicle. They need batteries with a much higher energy density than the Li-ion batteries provide and charging solutions that aren’t so time consuming.

My biggest complaint is there’s a year wait for a Tesla but at the same time, we’re subsidizing buyers $12k to buy one. Why the hell are we subsidizing a product at all; let alone one that is completely sold out?

Why do you think Tesla buyers are getting a $12k subsidy?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am seeing more and more EVs in my area. I live in suburbia. 95 percent of the folks in my neighborhood could easily use an EV for at least one of their vehicles. They likely never drive more than 20 miles each way to take care of their daily needs. They fly on long trips. Not one of them owns a horse or pulls a heavy trailer. Driving a truck creates more issues than it solves for them. They are the greatest percentage of drivers these days. I don't fit that mold as I need my pickup for towing and hunting trips. But I recognize that people have different needs.

I see more and more charging stations at shopping and restaurants so thats already happening. EVs are here , charging stations are here and the option to buy one is here. Heck I had friends and older relatives that still thought the internet was a fad in 2001. The hell if they was buying one of the computers to collect dust in a few years. Some of you guys are old enough to remember when self service gas pumps started showing up. I hear many times how foolish that was as women would never pump their own gas.

Many of us on here live differently than 95% of the rest of the population. We are the odd men out not the norm.

Last edited by Boarmaster123; 05/11/22.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tesla is increasing production at roughly 50% per year, and expects to be at 5 million cars a year by 2025. It is also back ordered well into 2023 and expected to stop taking orders for a while. They just let it slip they expect to expect to double the size of their Shanghai complex and increase production there by 500,000 cars per year. That’s on top of bringing on Berlin and Austin.

Volkswagen just piped up and declared their goal is to make more EV’s than Tesla by 2025..... Ford’s F150 Lightning is sold out for the next three years.

EV’s have their problems, but there’s going to be a LOT of them in the very near future. And city slickers are going to be just fine with them.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Obviously EV’s are not for every situation. But if your EV had a fast charging system and you lived in an area with a good charger network 800 miles in 36 hours is very easy. Most quality EV’s can go from 20-30 to 80% in the time you stop to take a leak and eat a meal.

Got gas twice. Didn't see a charging station at any exit I got off.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You weren't looking for one, either. It's like me claiming I went to a truck stop and didn't see a single hooker.

The problem - as many others have said - is not the number of charging stations, it's where we're going to get all the electricity. Unless we install massive numbers of the mini-nuclear plants they are now developing, there's absolutely no way to support the numbers of electric vehicles they say they're going to build.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You weren't looking for one, either. It's like me claiming I went to a truck stop and didn't see a single hooker.

The problem - as many others have said - is not the number of charging stations, it's where we're going to get all the electricity. Unless we install massive numbers of the mini-nuclear plants they are now developing, there's absolutely no way to support the numbers of electric vehicles they say they're going to build.

Yeah but, wind and scheitt. LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
From what I've seen, the hybrids are a much better way to go than an electric. People I know who have them have very good luck with them. Toyota has really worked the kinks out of them and for many people, they're great. No, a hybrid won't tow your 35' 5th wheel but you can load the kids in your roomy Highlander hybrid and go cross country while getting 35 mpg.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Exactly what we have, RC. 2020 Highlander Hybrid. Fabulous road trip car. We fill up every 300 miles. With eight gallons.

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Have u ever ridden in a Prius or bolt? Me neither and I’m not into a short wheelbase rough riding car
The Tesla would be the first choice if I ever was to go Electrc
The tech will get better but for now it isn’t a player

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.