Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Anyone here use a floored tent for hunting? The rage these days is floorless but I have always preferred to have an inner tent within the rainfly for extra protection from critters/condensation. I'm on the hunt for something new that holds 2 related people (me and my young son - doesn't have to be a huge tent), is reasonably light for backpacking, and durable enough for 3rd rifle season in Colorado. I am a big fan of freestanding tents but am open to other ideas. Recommendations are appreciated.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I would go Hilleberg if you think snow is in the equation. I personally use Big Agnes but if was going where heavy snow was possible Hilleberg.

Good Shooting!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Depends on your budget. Hilleberg is the gold standard of 4 season tents that aren't super heavy, but they are very pricey and availability has been limited in the pandemic.

Bear in mind that a 3rd rifle in CO can easily involve enough snow to snap the poles on a typical 3-season dome tent. You can probably get away with a 3-season tent but you will need to be careful.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by COexile
Depends on your budget. Hilleberg is the gold standard of 4 season tents that aren't super heavy, but they are very pricey and availability has been limited in the pandemic.

Bear in mind that a 3rd rifle in CO can easily involve enough snow to snap the poles on a typical 3-season dome tent. You can probably get away with a 3-season tent but you will need to be careful.

This is all true. Take a look at the KUIU Storm Star 2 Person tent. It's the only genuine 4-season tent with only three poles that I am aware of. ($600, 5#) It's the best deal in a 4-season tent that I can find. Hilleberg, as stated above, has a stellar rep but they are more expensive because they are imported from Europe (I think England) and the price includes import tariffs.

There are other 4-season tents such as: North Face VE-25 (the tent of choice for climbers on Mt. McKinley) which weighs 10# and the Eureka K2-XT which weighs 12# and costs $525.

Here's a web site on the subject. 4-Season Tents

Whatever tent you buy, don't get a single-wall tents. You will regret it if you do.

Also remember to set up your tent somewhere somehow that you can protect it from the wind. Don't set it up out in the open exposed to high winds. The wind may not be blowing when you set up your tent, but it will change and blow down your tent if you don't protect it properly.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hilleberg Keron for me. It has 3 poles and is super easy to setup. Plus it is rated for 3 so all of our gear fits easily inside it and the vestibules. Others probably work great but have been using this one and it is very strong.

IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Hilleberg.

Pitter Patter!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"2 man tent" is good for ONE man. Get a 3 man tent.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah the VE-25 is excellent. My Guide Tent with the heavier floor is still holding up even after many high wind events. Had to replace the poles once...North Face did it for free.

Single wall tents are excellent IF used in alpine freezing conditions. Not so good at lower elevations.

Was able to use my Mountain Hardwear 3 person single wall (6lb) in forest climes by taking the Guide Tent fly that fits perfectly or bringing the Gold Armour HEX tarp (2lb).

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
"2 man tent" is good for ONE man. Get a 3 man tent.

Yep, in my experience a 2 man isn't much good for two adult men. You're absolutely right about that. I think for me and my wife or me and my boy a 2 man should work okay.

Hilleberg has been on my list. Love that they're not made in China unlike basically all the other double wall tents out there. Used could maybe work.

Kuiu hadn't been on my radar at all. I will take a closer look for sure. I've also been considering the Slingfin/Stone Glacier tents but they're sold out and have been for months.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've used a kuiu mountain star before and just picked up the new version this year.

With two side entry doors with vestibules, I ve had no issues with two grown men using it.

I almost went with the storm star, but for use in Sept and October I think the mountain star will work.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 05/10/22.
IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you get a 2-man tent, make sure that it has two doors and two vestibules, so one guy doesn't have to crawl over the other guy on the way in or out. Store some gear inside and some gear in each vestibule. You need to be organized to make this work. The problem with a 3-man tent is that it will weigh more and that's real important when carrying a backpack.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
^^^^ I would agree if it is side entry. If the entrance/exit is at the head or foot, then a single door is fine.

For a long time my do-it-all tent was an REI half dome, roughly 1980 vintage. It went through hell and back backpacking, car camping, etc. Finally the fiberglass poles gave up the ghost splintering lengthwise. I figure 35 years is long enough. I replaced it with a Marmot LimeLight 2P. So far it has only done car camping duty, I use a Tarptent ProTrail for backpacking 'cept when I just use a bug bivy and cuben fiber tarp which is most of the time. The Marmot is in the same weight range with my old Half Dome.

I don't know what weather comes with 3rd rifle season in Colorado. Might be a good choice, might not. Depends on whether there are wind breaks you can set up behind / in during storms / trees you can camp under (safely) if it snows.

There is no infallible gear. Everything is part of a system. To me that system includes the landscape. Rather than trying to defeat it, I try to turn it to my advantage.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 257_X_50, 39 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.