Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone have any experience with the 73 gr eld-m in a short (18”) 9 twist barrel?
I haven’t fired or started handloading for this rifle yet and just wondering how heavy I can reasonably expect good results with this 18” barrel.

I’ll be using this mostly for targets out to 550 yds and possibly some pred hunting.

I already have 75gr and 80gr eld-m on hand from a different rifle, but I think they would too heavy/long.

The 73gr eld-m are available locally so I could easily get them. If I stick with 55-69gr then I’ll have to try and find some. I just want to avoid wasting time and components by getting other peoples experience. Thanks.

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hornady specifies using a 1 in 8 minimum. I've used the 73's in 1 in 9 twist rifles, but prefer to use them in my 1 in 8 and 1 in 7 rifles. Accuracy was good in the 1 in 9, but that was my rifle. Yours may be different. I was also running a 20" barrel, so that may make a difference. A bullet stability twist rate calculator will tell you that stability will be marginal at best. Generally when I'm shooting a 1 in 9 twist rifle, I stick to bullets that are 69gr or less. I would not use the 75 or 80 eld in that rifle either. The heaviest I've tried in a 1 in 9 is the 77 TMK. Contrary to popular belief, that bullet shot well at 100, but really fu cked at 400. Of course YMMV..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
BSA, what powders have given you best accuracy with the 73? Besides ARcomp that is.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
BSA, what powders have given you best accuracy with the 73? Besides ARcomp that is.

Try H 380, or H 322 on the other end...H 380 will get good velocity yet keep your pressures on the low side... like below 40,000 PSI...
in a bolt action, I've chronographed them at 2900 to 2950 out of a longer barrel... 24 and 26 inch, varmint rifle platform...

W 748 is another good powder to grab off the shelf as is good old BLC2....

myself, I don't touch H 335 powder... had too many issues with it... and shoot it at night ( just to see the light show)..
Lord does that powder have muzzle flash... I'd hate to be in combat and that is what I'd have to shoot in an AR, or my M 16...

its Muzzle Flash rivals a 155 mm Howitzer....( slight exaggeration, but not by much, LoL...)

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

RL15 works great. I understand AR Comp is hard to find. I got lucky and found 10 pounds of it a few months ago. One of my favorite powders. I have used RL15 with the heavier bullets like the 73 ELD match and 69gr SMK. Here is the AR Comp load with a 1 in 9 twist savage:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And then with my Northtech Defense AR15:

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you. I believe I have some RL15 in house.

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That is good. RL15 is hard to find right now too!!! When I run low on AR Comp, I run RL15, but adjust charge weight even though AR Comp is basically reformulated RL15, made to work better through a powder measure. When I have to use RL15, I run 23 grains of it for the 73gr eld match bullet in the 223. Keep in mind these loads are for an ar15 rifle, but I have used them in my old Savage predator. I've also found that 22.2gr of Exterminator works great too. One of my more finicky rifles likes that load. That exterminator powder is one I have actually been very happy with. My buddy has a pre ban Bushmaster with a 1 in 9 twist rate and it loves the 73gr ELD match bullet. Before a match, we took out a mix of ammo and tried some factory ammo, some of my 69gr SMK's with AR Comp, my 73gr ELD match load with AR Comp:

Surprisingly, his rifle liked the 73gr ELD match load better than any of the others. My Colt, on the other hand, doesn't shoot it as well as the 69gr SMK load:

Colt with 69gr SMK load:
That target was shot at my clubs AR match. The rifle was pretty new to me at the time too, so I was pretty happy with how it performed.. I like the 73gr ELD match bullet, but Hornady recommends the use of a 1 in 8 or faster twist barrel. That doesn't mean it will not work in your rifle if it has a 1 in 9, but something to be mindful of.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That is good. RL15 is hard to find right now too!!! When I run low on AR Comp, I run RL15, but adjust charge weight even though AR Comp is basically reformulated RL15, made to work better through a powder measure. When I have to use RL15, I run 23 grains of it for the 73gr eld match bullet in the 223. Keep in mind these loads are for an ar15 rifle, but I have used them in my old Savage predator. I've also found that 22.2gr of Exterminator works great too. One of my more finicky rifles likes that load. That exterminator powder is one I have actually been very happy with. My buddy has a pre ban Bushmaster with a 1 in 9 twist rate and it loves the 73gr ELD match bullet. Before a match, we took out a mix of ammo and tried some factory ammo, some of my 69gr SMK's with AR Comp, my 73gr ELD match load with AR Comp:

Surprisingly, his rifle liked the 73gr ELD match load better than any of the others. My Colt, on the other hand, doesn't shoot it as well as the 69gr SMK load:

Colt with 69gr SMK load:
That target was shot at my clubs AR match. The rifle was pretty new to me at the time too, so I was pretty happy with how it performed.. I like the 73gr ELD match bullet, but Hornady recommends the use of a 1 in 8 or faster twist barrel. That doesn't mean it will not work in your rifle if it has a 1 in 9, but something to be mindful of.

X-terminator and 2230 are the same powder. I seen 2230 readily available last couple months. So on your gunshop visits if you see it might want to get it. Unless you a have a bunch of X-terminator

Last edited by 79S; 05/15/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Colt with 69gr SMK load:

X-terminator and 2230 are the same powder. I seen 2230 readily available last couple months. So on your gunshop visits if you see it might want to get it. Unless you a have a bunch of X-terminator

Thanks J, I appreciate that. Yeah, that seems to be some good stuff. I have 5 pounds of it on hand, so I will keep an eye out for 2230. I saw an 8 pound jug of H4350 right next to an 8 pound jug of Varget at the LGS yesterday. That was pretty damn surprising. They wanted $394.00 for it though.. Ughh...

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If the ones I have left will shoot well in my 1-9 CZ I'll be very happy.

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

RL15 works great. I understand AR Comp is hard to find. I got lucky and found 10 pounds of it a few months ago. One of my favorite powders. I have used RL15 with the heavier bullets like the 73 ELD match and 69gr SMK. Here is the AR Comp load with a 1 in 9 twist savage:

That is a GIGANTIC target.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But it was windy.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Higginez

That is a GIGANTIC target.

It is big. That's what she said..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
just for those interested and if you have any or come across it.... H 380 gave me as good results as AR Comp with 68 to 75 grain Bullets in the one in 8 and 1 in 9 Twist 223s I have in the gun safe...

I know its not as temp insensitive as AR Comp or W 748 or BLC 2.... but its accuracy is right in there with the others...

and in a 223, I am using regular small rifle primers... NOT an Mag SMall Rifle primers...

it worked just fine....

just passing that along....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I picked up a couple hundred 55gr Hornady Vmax to try for now. I have LC nato brass and on hand have H335, H4895 and Benchmark.
I may try some 68gr BTHP if I come across some.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mod7rem
I picked up a couple hundred 55gr Hornady Vmax to try for now. I have LC nato brass and on hand have H335, H4895 and Benchmark.
I may try some 68gr BTHP if I come across some.

This may sound weird, but the 53gr Vmax has a better BC than the 55 and even the 60gr Vmax. That is one reason I suggest it, and in a 1 in 9 twist, it will stabilize very well. In fact, it's been one of the better shooting bullets in my 1 in 9 twist Rugers and Savage rifles. Also, one of the nice things about it is it's available and generally a pretty good price @ around $22/100. That 68gr BTHP is also one that you can normally find for a decent deal. Your H335 and benchmark will work great for those bullets too.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
just for those interested and if you have any or come across it.... H 380 gave me as good results as AR Comp with 68 to 75 grain Bullets in the one in 8 and 1 in 9 Twist 223s I have in the gun safe...

I know its not as temp insensitive as AR Comp or W 748 or BLC 2.... but its accuracy is right in there with the others...

and in a 223, I am using regular small rifle primers... NOT an Mag SMall Rifle primers...

it worked just fine....

just passing that along....

Good info John. I will use it. I have some H380. I try to save my AR Comp when possible. I even thought about using AR Comp in my new 204, but decided not to. I know AR Comp will produce some of the more consistently accurate loads, but still its hard to find and I don't want to burn it all up.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
70 gr Berger VLDs shoot very well in my 1 in 9" Kimber Montana 22" barrel...better than Hornady 53 gr V-max.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kurt52
70 gr Berger VLDs shoot very well in my 1 in 9" Kimber Montana 22" barrel...better than Hornady 53 gr V-max.

I'd shoot the heavies if and when possible. My suggestion for that bullet was to the guys running the 55's and 60's thinking they are doing themselves any favors when they aren't. The 53 has a better bc, even though it is lighter. Then again, there are guys that have a hard time getting any bullet to shoot well. There's that.. Saw that today in competition...

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 91 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.