Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Been shooting SC for about 20 years. I use my upland guns. I break 35-40 per 50, but sometimes get into the mid 40s. As others have said, it depends on the course and how it’s set up.
Shooting SC has greatly improved my live bird shooting.

NRA Patron
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I like the older guns and continue to hunt with them. 36 grouse last year with 2 inch shells and 19th century guns. No sporting clays course prepares you for the grouse I shoot. I will shoot them on the ground and no SC course stacks any targets on the ground for me to practice...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have considered trying my Burgess sometime. I've never actually shot it. It's a little different than yours, being a take down model (or maybe more properly, a fold up model.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
I have considered trying my Burgess sometime. I've never actually shot it. It's a little different than yours, being a take down model (or maybe more properly, a fold up model.)

Like this…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Like this…

Yes, like that. Yours is in a lot nicer condition than mine.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pullit
When shooting practice, the way I look at it and try and shoot it is, if I can break a target with ease, I don't shoot it anymore. When I miss a target, I want to shoot it again and try and figure it out. I have been know to stand at one station and shoot a whole box just a one "A" or "B" target. That is how you get better. The easy birds may make your score care look good but you have not learned how to break the harder birds.
The more different birds you can look at and figure out the better you will be.

This +++. If I break the first two pairs I move on, and save my shells for the tower doves, high and fast. Takes a full choke and about 8 feet of lead for me to connect, and then small misjudgments can cause misses even when you think you've got them figured. I go about 20-25% on those birds, and feel like I've learned something. I do hate the rabbit with a passion, though, and usually skip it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Limapapa
Originally Posted by pullit
When shooting practice, the way I look at it and try and shoot it is, if I can break a target with ease, I don't shoot it anymore. When I miss a target, I want to shoot it again and try and figure it out. I have been know to stand at one station and shoot a whole box just a one "A" or "B" target. That is how you get better. The easy birds may make your score care look good but you have not learned how to break the harder birds.
The more different birds you can look at and figure out the better you will be.

This +++. If I break the first two pairs I move on, and save my shells for the tower doves, high and fast. Takes a full choke and about 8 feet of lead for me to connect, and then small misjudgments can cause misses even when you think you've got them figured. I go about 20-25% on those birds, and feel like I've learned something. I do hate the rabbit with a passion, though, and usually skip it.

As long as you are practicing, you may want to stay on your first bird and shoot twice if you miss it at first. It can become a bad habit to shoot, miss and then look for the next target. After all this is supposed to make you a better bird shooter…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
as far as a rabbit goes, I have 2 rules.
1) put the same lead on it that you a bird in the air, don't let the fact it is on the ground screw you up.
2) if it jumps, that is when I try and shoot it. That is when the target is as stable as it is going to get

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Our club has three courses now. A easy course, intermediate, and a sho'nuff competition course. I usually shoot in the 70s on the easy course and may hit 50 on the hard course. I only shoot a few times a year.

I dont take it too serious, I think anymore that can walk away with 60 out of 100 on an average course can have one heck of a duck or dove season. And I like the comradery out there with the guys. That's half the fun.

Last edited by killerv; 05/10/22.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Like this…

Wow, that is the first Burgess shotgun I have ever seen. Thanks for posting that

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If they have a rabbit station don't expect to ever hit those little bastards.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
What difference does it make, if no club says one can't shoot SC with their field shotgun. Seems to be a personal choice.

That is only an observation. Of course you can shoot anything you want, it just isn't what it originally started out to be as a shooting discipline. If you shoot most any clays range today, you will have guys screwing chokes in and out, long ported barrels and adjustable stocks. Those guns were designed to meet changing conditions on the current clays range.

I still shoot SC on a regular basis and am one of a few that shoot field guns. Most are shooting Sporting Clays guns.

Sounds like you're talking about Trap guns.

If a shotgun fits, it fits. With Sporting guns, most are fitted to pattern 50/50 or just slightly higher like any field gun, and precisely why this is the fact is because of the presentations mimicking game. Rising, Dropping, Crossing, Quartering

Some guys around here win National and World events with "field guns" right off the rack

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The fact some have limited experience, doesn’t mean they can’t write what they don’t know….😁

And for those who don’t know….Rick knows

And most field guns today come with multiple chokes. Why? Well, same reason as SC. And many serious field shooters ensure their field gun shoots where they look. Something that was rare before SC came on the scene.

Last edited by battue; 05/10/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Like this…

When did you get that?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
What difference does it make, if no club says one can't shoot SC with their field shotgun. Seems to be a personal choice.

That is only an observation. Of course you can shoot anything you want, it just isn't what it originally started out to be as a shooting discipline. If you shoot most any clays range today, you will have guys screwing chokes in and out, long ported barrels and adjustable stocks. Those guns were designed to meet changing conditions on the current clays range.

I still shoot SC on a regular basis and am one of a few that shoot field guns. Most are shooting Sporting Clays guns.

If a shotgun fits, it fits. With Sporting guns, most are fitted to pattern 50/50 or just slightly higher like any field gun, and precisely why this is the fact is because of the presentations mimicking game. Rising, Dropping, Crossing, Quartering

Some guys around here win National and World events with "field guns" right off the rack

Rick
I was sitting in the bleacher at Nationals 15 plus years ago when I took 2nd place in AA. If I remember correctly that same year, you placed in Master class.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My dad hasn’t shot a clay or bird in twenty years and he shot a high 30 something out of 100 when he visited a few weeks ago.

I don’t know his exact age but I’d say he’s old as schit by most standards.

He used my son’s SX3 in 20 gauge. He’d never even held it before.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 5sdad
If they have a rabbit station don't expect to ever hit those little bastards.

Don't think of them as rabbits. Picture them as something you don't like. I think of them as the feral cats my neighbor used have. He had over a hundred and they put the hurt on local birds. I did well on rabbits after that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lynntelk
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Rick
I was sitting in the bleacher at Nationals 15 plus years ago when I took 2nd place in AA. If I remember correctly that same year, you placed in Master class.

Probably.

The 2005 Nationals I’m probably most proud of winning the Kreighoff Cup, the FITASC Event, and did well enough in the Main and 5-Stand to finish as the Browning High Overall for the whole thing

Broke more targets in the combined events than anyone.

It would take some work to return to that level

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,135
Posts18,464,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.