Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
You weren't looking for one, either. It's like me claiming I went to a truck stop and didn't see a single hooker.

The problem - as many others have said - is not the number of charging stations, it's where we're going to get all the electricity. Unless we install massive numbers of the mini-nuclear plants they are now developing, there's absolutely no way to support the numbers of electric vehicles they say they're going to build.

Yeah but, wind and scheitt. LOL

This country has WAY more generating capacity than it needs.... except for on a few hot afternoons in July. On average, the grid has more than 30% of its total capacity idled (shut down for maintenance or off line for lack of demand).

A first year engineering student could rig up a charging system that stopped charging EV’s when there is peak demand. A second year engineering student could rig up a system that would allow EV’s to send power to the net when there’s more demand than supply in the grid, and then recharge the EV during low demand periods. A third grade engineering student could figure out how to allow the EV owner to sell that power at peak rates, and buy it back at low rates.

The Ford Lightning already allows owners to use it as a backup power source in case of power failure. It’ll run the average house for three days.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our daughter lives in Portland, OR. Their peak use power rate is 5x the off peak rate. Simply charging your car after 10pm can save you a lot of money over time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hey Dutch, are you an EE? Seems Iike you know this stuff pretty well.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Hey Dutch, are you an EE? Seems Iike you know this stuff pretty well.

Nah, I started paying attention to this stuff a few years back, and it’s become kind of a hobby to watch the technology develop and change. My primary interest is in the economics behind it.

Posting about it on the ‘Fire and watching the grumpy old farts shake their fists at these new fangled inventions while yelling “buy a horse” is a guilty pleasure....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL!!

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dutch
The Ford Lightning already allows owners to use it as a backup power source in case of power failure. It’ll run the average house for three days.
And you believe that? I do not..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
When I can drive where I drive without having to worry about charging I'm in. Guessing I'll be dead first.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
victoro, you "charge" a hybrid at the gas pump. You obviously have not a clue what a hybrid vehicle is.

I don't have a clue why anybody would want a hybrid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck

I don't believe it, I can do third grade math. Try it, if you dare.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why is everyone so angry with EV's?

Every single city dweller that buys one decreases the demand for fuel, and limits their own range to 300 or so miles from home.

Right?

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Redneck

I don't believe it, I can do third grade math. Try it, if you dare.....

OK...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Please correct my math...

Thanks

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
But... if that Musky dude gets to doing 3rd grade math...

Maybe... EV is part of the equation... for urbanites that don't do no long hauling of heavy loads...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Buying an UAW built EV is like buying a Ryobi sawzall with a 1.0 Amp-hour battery.

Just saying...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
His idea about how a horse emits CO2 that recycles back to plants and then back to oxygen, but the Corvette’s CO2 doesn’t recycle, seems a bit selective by plants that don’t know the origin of any CO2…

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel
His idea about how a horse emits CO2 that recycles back to plants and then back to oxygen, but the Corvette’s CO2 doesn’t recycle, seems a bit selective by plants that don’t know the origin of any CO2…

And don't forget about horse and cow farts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Please correct my math...

Thanks

Oh, happily.

The Ford extended range battery is rated at 131 KWH (https://insideevs.com/news/559064/ford-f150-lightning-battery-comparison/). By your numbers, the average house draw is 1.25 KW.

131/ 1.25 = 104.8 hours. Which is more than 3 days, but let me know if you need help with that math, too?

In case you're curious, the numbers you quoted are max charging RATE, not CAPACITY. Other than that, nice cut and paste.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
What I'd like to know the straight truth on is how and who is going to pay for all the necessary increase in electricity producing facilities nation wide to keep up with the ever increasing demand of electric vehicles? Tax increases? Usage rate increases? Or...?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joken2
What I'd like to know the straight truth on is how and who is going to pay for all the necessary increase in electricity producing facilities nation wide to keep up with the ever increasing demand of electric vehicles? Tax increases? Usage rate increases? Or...?

The same way new facilities have been paid for the last 50 years and more. The companies (sometime municipalities) issue shares or bonds or use private funds to build the facilities, and get paid back by selling electricity. Those who generate cheap will return the most money to investors (which explains the increase in wind and solar generation, and the dearth in new nukes). Solar in the south is currently the cheapest way to generate electricity (though the Trump era tariffs have bumped that cost up a fair bit, TINSTAAFL).

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I love all these “the sky is falling” EV discussions. Just grow up and stop trying to paint a perfect situation where they won’t work. Because for a lot of people they do work, and work well. Especially as a second vehicle in the household.
For us, our daily mileage is 40 miles unless we run to Knoxville.Then we drive 160-180. Any decent EV would handle that. We own other vehicles for when we tow or road trip.
Plenty of companies now offer free charging to workers. Making it another win.

I’m in no hurry to buy one since what we own are all in good shape. But when the time comes I’ll have no remorse about joining the club.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are many reasons that I don't care for electric vehicles. I would venture that some dislike them solely because they don't use gasoline.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.