Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Remington R1 1911 with a 5" barrel. I need a higher rear sight. I'm thinking to mount an adjustable rear sight. Input is appreciated.
Dave

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Depending on which sight you choose, you'll probably have to change the front sight, too. That's how it works, sadly enough. It might be money-ahead to just sell the Remington and buy a pistol that already has adjustable sights.

I really like the older Bomar sights, but nowadays, you are pretty much stuck with LPAs or another Bomar copy/clone. Novak does make an adjustable sight, too, but again, you'll probably have to swap the front sight, AND pay the gunsmith to fit them properly, and it's hard to find a good pistolsmith these days, especially if you need it in a hurry. Waiting times for the good smiths are usually at least a year plus.

You might be able to file the front sight and raise your POI, which is another possibility, without spending any money at all. It all depends on how far "off" your POI is from your POA. Maybe a couple licks with a file will solve your issue.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 05/12/22.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Be sure to make sure the dovetail is compatible with the sights. Most aren’t, I ran into that problem years ago. As far as Novak

SELECT BY HANDGUN MODEL | REMINGTON | 1911R1 & 1911R1 CMDR | R1 ADJUSTABLE REAR SIGHTS
*Please note that our sights are a direct replacement for R1 1911 Carry models.
The R1 1911 standard models will require milling new front and rear dovetails in slide*

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Start with the exact model you have, or include a photo. Remington used more than just one dovetail.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I have a Remington R1 1911 with a 5" barrel. I need a higher rear sight. I'm thinking to mount an adjustable rear sight. Input is appreciated.
Dave

Everything modern shoots low for me. I don't know what they're thinking when they put sights on pistols now, but I always need to come up with lower fronts and/or higher rears. It didn't used to be that way...

The Remington does NOT have a standard dovetail. It is standard size... but not the standard angle. It's a little more "open", and not as sharp. This causes difficulties.

For mine, I put on an old Millett white outline rear sight (which I want on everything). I had several on hand, and out of all of them, a couple just happened to be ever so slightly oversize enough that I could file one to fit perfectly. But... that was sheer luck. And, of course, they haven't been made in 20 or more years.

A talented gunsmith could saw and file out a rear sight to fit out of a suitably sized piece of mild steel. It's not technically difficult, just a pain. Otherwise, it could be hard to find a sight that will fit your dovetail. You may want to consider a Novak or BoMar sight cut on the slide, but that's even more work (and more moolah).

A shorter front sight is easier to do... BUT, the thing is pretty short as it is.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Start with the exact model you have, or include a photo. Remington used more than just one dovetail.

It’s my understanding that the standard model had proprietary dovetails while the enhanced or carry models had standard Novak cuts.

Swifty
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Novaks is your friend here, give them a call.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
My rear sight came today. After some fitting I got it installed. The sight is centered. The angle makes it look off to one side. The next trip to the range I'll get it zeroed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/cKmWxwr.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/DuWdyAX.jpg?1[/img]

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 05/18/22.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I like a black rear sight and a fiber or " night " type front sight

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
My rear sight came today. After some fitting I got it installed. The sight is centered. The angle makes it look off to one side. The next trip to the range I'll get it zeroed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/cKmWxwr.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/DuWdyAX.jpg?1[/img]

So what sight did you order?

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
LPA 1911 sight.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I got to the range today and got the sights zeroed at 10 yards. I'm pleased with the results of the installation.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 45 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,398
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.