Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
gaiters for me

knee high gaiters (Kuiu Yukon) in wet/cold weather, shorter gaiters (Kuiu Scree) in any other weather

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I've had a pair of gaiters for years that I keep on the outside bottom of my pack, under the vertical compression straps. Think I've used them twice in about 5 years.

Trekking poles would probably help out my bum knee, but so far, I've done without. I can make do with my shooting stix when I need to.
Yes, they would. Buy a cheap pair, maybe from Costco or Ebay and give them a try. If you like them, then get a good pair. I just use 1. That leaves a hand free to handle my rifle or whatever. The pole will help with balance and keep from twisting or jarring the bad knee.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the KUIU Kutana gaiters, from the first time I bought them I never go without unless it's exceptionally hot. I like them for several reasons, when it's cold, they prevent cool air from working it's way up your pantleg. They keep the uppers of your boots and pantlegs dry and they keep all sort of debris from getting in your boots. If you step in water over your boots, it keeps them from flooding momentarily. I have a camo pair for hunting and a solid pair for hiking. The greatest innovation for hunting, at least for me, in years!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the Costco sticks, many miles and they have held up well, about $30 as I recall. I have found one to be about right for hiking, two is too much for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My mother picked up two sets of brand new OR Crocodiles for $1.00 at a thrift store a couple of years ago. She sent them to me and I gave them a shot. I find they're pretty helpful when I'm not wearing rubber boots when caribou or deer hunting. They can get a bit hot though.

IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Depends. If it's wet yes. If you're splashing through creeks yes. If you're walking through grass, stubble, gravel, scree etc with trail runners or low top boots and want to keep debris out, yes.

If none of the above and you need to be quiet to stalk up close or it's warm out, no.

Add snow, marsh mounds and cactus infested desert.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Depends. If it's wet yes. If you're splashing through creeks yes. If you're walking through grass, stubble, gravel, scree etc with trail runners or low top boots and want to keep debris out, yes.

If none of the above and you need to be quiet to stalk up close or it's warm out, no.
Yup. This, plus snow and gaiters also keep a bunch of wear off your expensive boots if doing a bunch of side-hilling through scree.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh, you guys are talking about snow and moisture gaiters, I thought we were talking about snake gaiters...grin

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GregW
Oh, you guys are talking about snow and moisture gaiters, I thought we were talking about snake gaiters...grin

No kidding Greg. I'm not much of a mountain hunter, so I've never used them. My desert hunting gear doesn't include gaiters, as I wear pull on leather boots without laces (due to sand burrs), and yes we are cactus infested here too. Moisture seems almost non existent the last few years.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GregW

I thought they called those "chaps," and people wear chaps in snake country?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Snake proof gaiters have made me sweat like a fatty working overtime.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
KUIU had a 25% off sale on selected items. Their gaiters were $74 instead of regular priced $99.

I’ve never worn gaiters before, but have had many instances while upland bird hunting where they would have been helpful.

I bought a set.

As for snakes. Depending on the year and sightings from ranchers where I varmint hunt. I will wear snake boots. I don’t dig on snakes of any kind.

Nobody home but us chickens, when it comes to the slithering.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use both depending on what terrain/time of year I'm hunting

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Snake proof gaiters have made me sweat like a fatty working overtime.

Ricky Bin turned me into these....

https://www.snakeprotection.com/turtleskin-snake-gaiters

I've got about 100 miles on them the past 4ish weeks and they are a game changer, for me. Part of my permanent kit from February through November...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I will look into those.

Thanks.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a pair of Kenetrek Gaiters. I haven't found them to be loud or excessively hot. I wear them for big game season and hiking

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I wear them basically all of sheep season, or any time I'm in the mountains. Keeps rocks and sticks out of the boots, slows scree wear and tear, and a little protection when crossing creeks. For lots of moose season I don't bother, but it depends on what I'm planning to do. Then in winter, I wear them all the time to keep snow out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, and glad I consider them essential and keep them in my pack:

There was not supposed to be any snow on this elk hunt in 2019, absolutely helped keep me form having soaking wet feet:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And then definitely glad I had them Antelope hunting in WY last year...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I wear them all the time if your as bow legged as I am I can't keep stuff out of my boots. Cotton the warm season and gortex wet or snow. Even in really cold dry they keep my feet warmer.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I too wear the Kenetrek gaiters. Keeps ya warm and dry in the wet and snowy conditions.. Yet not too hot. And I find that I'm actually more quiet because my pant legs aren't getting hung up in the brush.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
746 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 87 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.