Print Thread
Hop To
#17241274 05/11/22
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I love em, but understand some people outside of CA don’t like em, let alone know about them, save for the canned variety.

Up until I met my wife I had no clue people dip em in anything other than Mayo. Furthermore- I’ve heard people don’t even eat the heart, after eating the leaves.

What’s the consensus?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Growing up where I did we ate the mini's like broccoli today, olive oil, salt and pepper. Since leaving California in '95 I have yet to see the mini's. That said, we make do.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Looks great Ed, how’d you cook that?

In my short stint cooking at a restaurant, we’d steam em whole, cut in half longways, pour some butter/oil/seasoning and grill em for a bit. Looked pretty, but couldn’t get too much of the seasoning INTO the artichoke. I throw a bunch of garlic into the pressure cooker with with the ones I cooked last night, and not the slightest presence of garlic on the ‘choke.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Bread crumbs, Parmasan, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. I usually keep a bag of the mix in the freezer. Raw trim off the top quarter or so depending on the 'choke size. I mix a bit of olive oil to the above and start pulling back leaves filling behind them right to the top. Steam as normal pouring a bit of the water on the 'choke as needed pulling a leaf until done. We make a meal out of one a piece. And... no mayo.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife and I stopped in to our fav Steak House over in Eureka the other night. Shamus T-Bones. They have a grilled artichoke with a fantastic chipotle-lime mayo!

Crazy good!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Love em.

The ones we get in flyover country suck though. They always seem to be 6 months old, leaves opening, etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love them any how any way.

Steamed, drenched in fresh lemon juice dipped in a light roasted garlic aioli like Nonna made them.

It's baby artichoke season right now.

Yum.

Grandad told me Mafia controlled artichoke trade in the early 20th century until the famous Dago NY Mayor shut em down. I understood it to mean Great-Grandad was involved somehow.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have a choke plant in the garden. Need to get a couple more started for next season.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Everybody likes arty chokes...but sometimes I wonder just how hungry the poor bastard was that dug into the first one back when they was dodging dinosaurs.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Higginez
Wife and I stopped in to our fav Steak House over in Eureka the other night. Shamus T-Bones. They have a grilled artichoke with a fantastic chipotle-lime mayo!

Crazy good!

That’s exactly how we like to make them here also. Steam them. Cut them in half and drench it in a mixture of melted butter, olive oil, beer and seasoning.
BBQ them on the oak pit and they are delicious. Dipping sauces can be chipotle Mayo, salsa mixed with Mayo, lemon juice also.
Just got a bag full of them the other week and they were awesome.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I think it’s speaks volumes most of those who’ve replied are from California.

I gotta up my artichoke game I suppose. Picked up 4 more giant ones today, I’ll try a more involved recipe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by Higginez

Crazy good!

That’s exactly how we like to make them here also. Steam them. Cut them in half and drench it in a mixture of melted butter, olive oil, beer and seasoning.
BBQ them on the oak pit and they are delicious. Dipping sauces can be chipotle Mayo, salsa mixed with Mayo, lemon juice also.
Just got a bag full of them the other week and they were awesome.

Oooooh, now I'm gonna have to try that!

I'd swear the one in the pic was done with Montreal.

The hearts had been de-haired which is how I like em.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Bread crumbs, Parmasan, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. I usually keep a bag of the mix in the freezer. Raw trim off the top quarter or so depending on the 'choke size. I mix a bit of olive oil to the above and start pulling back leaves filling behind them right to the top. Steam as normal pouring a bit of the water on the 'choke as needed pulling a leaf until done. We make a meal out of one a piece. And... no mayo.

This^^^^is how my Sicilian Grandmother did it and is traditional…

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (300_savage, 01Foreman400, 257robertsimp, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,235
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.