Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
41rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thinking about trading an older Savage 99 E for one of these, it's the composite stalker in 30-06.

Good rifles?

We deal in lead, friend.
BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A buddy bought one back in the 90s. As I recall it shot OK, but he bought it for it's detachable magazine. He had a lot of frustration with the magazine system, and grew to hate that rifle.

He was usually quick to sell something that didn't meet his expectations. I think he buried that rifle in a field waterway. He didn't think it was good enough to sell.

That said, a whole lotta guys have done a lot of good shooting with them.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have a Micro Hunter. Like the 60 degree bolt throw and the tang safety. Did like my Savage 99s before I sold them. they baanced really well.

S
S
I have one with a boss in a 06, bought new along time ago, it shoots 1/2 inch all day long with just about anything that I run thru it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If it is an A-Bolt I or II it is a great rifle and much better than the Savage.........if it is an AB3 run don't walk away

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by snipeshooter
I have one with a boss in a 06, bought new along time ago, it shoots 1/2 inch all day long with just about anything that I run thru it.

Mine's the same: A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker, .30-06, with BOSS-CR. About the most accurate rifle I own.

It is light, has good ergonomics - I like the tang safety which locks the bolt, and the shape and low-lift of the bolt handle make fast follow-up shots easy. I like the way the mag works too. I really like this little rifle.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ve always liked a bolts, everyone I’ve been around has shot good to excellent. Fit “me” really good too. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have several and I love them. I like the short bolt throw. I like the fit and finish. Mine have all shot well and feel very well build.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have an A-Bolt in 270WSM , every accurate from day one . Usually one inch groups at 100yds or better with factory ammo. Has been a very good deer rifle . I have plenty of other types/brands of deer rifles( some more expensive), the A-Bolt is still my favorite for the field . Several minor dings in the wood that says it is a deer stand gun. 20 years of hunting with it.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have an A-bolt in 338 Winchester mag that I bought in 1988. Shoots great and is fairly lite weight. Great gun and would be last gun I would ever get rid of. I have probably shot over 100 animals with it from deer and elk to many African animals

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like my ABolt 3006 but I cant warm up to the BOSS on the barrel. It was given to me so I got zero in it. I like the tang safety and it fits me great. Durability of the mat finish on the metal is sketchy compared to my other rifles but not terrible. Its as accurate as I can shoot anything.
Not fussy on ammo. I have thought about getting a 25-06 barrel put on it. I just have other rifles I like more so the a bolt sits in the safe.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I grew up shooting coyotes with a Micro Medallion 22-250, very accurate little rifle.

Later I worked for a decade in a Browning service center and my fondness kind of waned for them.

I developed the opinion that they’re a decent and usually accurate rifle for the guy who wants to buy a rifle, mount a scope, and hunt deer a week or two a year. They aren’t very user friendly if you like to tinker and modify your rifles compared to other makes. The triggers aren’t usually very adjustable, they may or may not be rebarrel candidates and the only way to find out it to potentially ruin the action attempting to pull the barrel, and stock options are slim aftermarket wise. The sleeved bolt, tiny extractor mortis, and Rube Goldberg trigger and safety in aluminum housing have all been known to give issues in rough conditions. I’m also not wild about the magazine setup.

I’m sure others’ mileage will vary.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatanchor
If it is an A-Bolt I or II it is a great rifle and much better than the Savage.........if it is an AB3 run don't walk away

This sums it up nicely.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got four of them... love the tang safety and all mine are 1/2 - 3/4" guns with good ammo. All mine are the BOSS...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I wouldn't do the trade but there is nothing wrong with an A-bolt other then they dissolve when exposed to Alaskan weather. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I wouldn't do the trade but there is nothing wrong with an A-bolt other then they dissolve when exposed to Alaskan weather. grin

You're well out of the loop Ed, they DO NOT dissolve!! They grenade as soon as they cross the Alaskan border.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid
I grew up shooting coyotes with a Micro Medallion 22-250, very accurate little rifle.

Later I worked for a decade in a Browning service center and my fondness kind of waned for them.

I developed the opinion that they’re a decent and usually accurate rifle for the guy who wants to buy a rifle, mount a scope, and hunt deer a week or two a year. They aren’t very user friendly if you like to tinker and modify your rifles compared to other makes. The triggers aren’t usually very adjustable, they may or may not be rebarrel candidates and the only way to find out it to potentially ruin the action attempting to pull the barrel, and stock options are slim aftermarket wise. The sleeved bolt, tiny extractor mortis, and Rube Goldberg trigger and safety in aluminum housing have all been known to give issues in rough conditions. I’m also not wild about the magazine setup.

I’m sure others’ mileage will vary.

A lot of truth in this post, but that being said, I have owned a BUNCH of A-bolt II rifles and still have two in my safe.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
While I’ve never owned a browning rifle, I sighted in several for friends. They just don’t fit me well. That said, my best friend has used an abolt 1 in 7mm rem mag) and abolt 2 in 30-06 for the last 25 years and killed dozens of elk and deer. Both rifles are accurate and have never let him down.

SPK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a late 90's A-Bolt in 280, no BOSS. My absolute favorite rifle.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by TheKid
"They’re a decent and usually accurate rifle for the guy who wants to buy a rifle, mount a scope, and hunt deer a week or two a year. They aren’t very user friendly if you like to tinker and modify your rifles compared to other makes. The triggers aren’t usually very adjustable, they may or may not be rebarrel candidates and the only way to find out it to potentially ruin the action attempting to pull the barrel, and stock options are slim aftermarket wise. The sleeved bolt, tiny extractor mortis, and Rube Goldberg trigger and safety in aluminum housing have all been known to give issues in rough conditions. I’m also not wild about the magazine setup."

Pretty well sums it up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,810 guests, and 1,420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.