Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I like to look at rifles I don't need and just want to own to put in the safe, but lately all the ones I would have wanted have a stupid muzzle break or threaded end. Am I the only one that wants a clean barrel with nothing but a nice crown?

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nope. To me ruins the lines of a rifle. Just like Christmas tree reticles. Don’t need or want them.

GreggH

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no desire to have a muzzle break. Had one once and it was a bad experience.
OTOH my dad liked his irons. He said a barrel with no front sight looks like a pool cue.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Your dad has a point.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
I like to look at rifles I don't need and just want to own to put in the safe, but lately all the ones I would have wanted have a stupid muzzle break or threaded end. Am I the only one that wants a clean barrel with nothing but a nice crown?

No you aren't.

Another grossity is a magazine that sticks out the bottom of the rifle, so you can't carry it one-handed at the balance point.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

No you aren't.

Another grossity is a magazine that sticks out the bottom of the rifle, so you can't carry it one-handed at the balance point.

I'll call that and raise you an ugly bolt knob.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

No you aren't.

I'll call that and raise you an ugly bolt knob.
Agreed on all counts. No threaded muzzle or protruding magazine or ugly bolt knobs for me please.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What really seems stupid is a muzzle brake on something as hard recoiling as a 204 Ruger.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My opinion: The muzzle brake 'thing' is more of modern fad born from the 'tacticool' movement than it is any kind of useful tool, with a few exceptions. Every time I go to the range, there's some young operator wanna-be that has a Lantac 3 port brake on a 223 or 5.56 AR. Makes me crazier when they sit kinda far back on the bench, and the concussion ripples down the covered firing line...giving everyone PTSD. The exceptions? True magnums and other large bore calibers realize a benefit to the shooter. I suppose that makes me somewhat of a utilitarian, but there it is.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
What really seems stupid is a muzzle brake on something as hard recoiling as a 204 Ruger.

This is what I'm talking about - it's on there because the owner thinks its cool, not because it serves some kind of actual purpose or usefulness.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Along the same lines, I can’t tell you haw many times I’ve suffered the disappointment of coming across a really nice 16 gauge Model 37, Model 12 or A-5 with a goddam polychoke on it. Seems they’re always the nicest condition… the clean barrel ones look to be rode hard and put up wet. Must be some kind of message in that

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hate muzzle brakes. The only thing I want on the end of a rifle barrel is a front sight, but.... I prefer the pool cue look laugh

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.