Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Brazos Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wytex
Good luck as well, for your friends Brazos.

Thanks wytex.

We are old duffers and put in for doe tags, we won't be competing with residents JeffP

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’m a NR too , hopefully with enough points to draw the unit I want
Especially if fewer people apply .....
Hence my comedic post.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The last time that I hunted Wyoming, I was very disappointed in numbers compared to prior trips. The weather cannot be controlled, but I think there have been too many tags issued for a long time. I don’t think that I will be going back. It amazes me that people are just worried about getting a tag, instead of worrying about the overall health of the resource.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
As long as a healthy breeding population of bucks are present hunting them doesn't hurt like the doe hunts.
Pronghorn have twins most years and triplets are not uncommon. Populations can bounce back pretty well in a few years but a hole in the age classes will be present.

Most think they should have reduced doe tags several years back but recent flights have given them better, more accurate counts and shown the population decreases.
A couple of years of reduced licenses and good fawn recruitment should help but mother nature has to lend a hand too.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I don't often check antelope draw odds, but for the last three years, I have failed at an any antelope permit. My favorite unit was a cinch to draw in past years .. Some times it was my second choice. When I checked the draw odds, I was shocked. All of the units near me sell out the first goround. Times indeed have changed.

Molon Labe
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I used to just get over the counter leftovers, now if you arent on the first draw you ain't legally hunting antelope. The number of tags available are not compatible with the amount of huntable land available. Land not leased to outfitters is over run with people and the hunting just sucks. And as a resident seeing people camping all over the few sections of decent public land is just frustrating.As other states cut back tags the over flow came here . Now with the numbers here down, and the lack of rain persisting the situation is only worse. The winter was not bad here but there is literally no grass on the prairie East of Buffalo, looks more like desert than high prairie......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hope you get some good moisture this spring wyoming260.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hope you get some good moisture this spring wyoming260.

I am putting in for a different area, because I have always hunted area 22 and its way down in numbers and way up in Michigan and Washington state lead slingers.......We need like a monsoon and a cool long spring before the burn off of summer.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Glad I looked and found this since I was about to
post the question about this hunting.
I got a message that the licenses in WY were being
cut back ( although I don't hunt there) so my curiosity
was up

What's the state's mindset about predator control?
Do they allow you to do reasonable predator control,
or are they fairly greenie when it comes to predators
killing the game animals and livestock?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Predator hunting is pretty well supported in Wyoming. Coyotes are shot on sight with no license required. Mt lions are regulated in take in most areas but not all.
The pronghorn populations are struggling because of habitat mainly, drought and then winterkill. Last springs blizzard was horrible in some areas for wildlife. Mother nature needs to help out a bit.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not perfect timing, but after accumulating 15 points and having Covid throw a wrench in some plans the last few years, we decided to apply for a zone for my wife's antelope tag this year. Fingers crossed for a draw. Even with lower tag numbers in the state and ridiculous gas prices, we're looking forward to getting away for a hunt if she draws.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
15 PP would work nicely between the 2 of you also if she wanted to share her PPs.

Good luck with her draw otherwise!

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Suggestions for good entry level places to hunt antelope? I heard SD and WY are good?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
15 PP would work nicely between the 2 of you also if she wanted to share her PPs.

Good luck with her draw otherwise!

Ya, we considered doing that as I've got 7 points currently. A good buddy has 7 as well though and has never been before, so decided I'd hold off and hunt another year with him.

Applied wife in 58. She's not a sure thing but should have a decent shot at drawing.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JohntheElectrician
Suggestions for good entry level places to hunt antelope? I heard SD and WY are good?

PP are needed in Wyoming for a better hunt. This year is not the year to get in with 0 PP due to tag cuts. Buy a PP in July and look next year.

Good luck to your wife Rackmastr.

Hopefully we get a little bounce back in numbers next year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We talked about it this week. Group has decided to apply this year. We were just short on PP last year. My buddy's son decided to apply with us. That should up our average & hopefully put us in the awarded tag column. Good Luck to all that enter. Bob

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

622 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,308
Posts18,449,130
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.