Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I call BS on a "Chip Shortage".

Think about it...

Really really? The USA cannot solve a chip problem on a trillion dollar industry in THREE FUGGING YEARS?

Horse chit...

Building a Fab is expensive and a ton of red tape. Takes a while too.

Why the chips are made overseas....toxic processs

Last edited by hookeye; 05/13/22.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Grumman
Talked to a guy that works at the Louisville Ford plant recently. He said they have an order backlog of over 300,000 Super Duty’s.

DAMN...

If they can make 10 a day that is 30,000 days

If they make 100 a day that is 3,000 days

If they make 1,000 a day that is 300 days

Given Ford's sales for 2021 - their total capacity for vehicles is something like 10,600 a day. I know that's not specific to the F250/350 line but still. They make quite a few.

Couldn't find the Super Duty numbers, but total F series (150, 250, 350 combined) are in the ballpark of 800,000/year.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would charge you extra if you brought me a bunch of nasty oysters.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Local Toyota dealer actually on the lot per their website as of right now (they list a whole bunch in-transit, these you could go buy today):

1 Camry
1 corolla
1 corolla hatchback
1 Hilander
1 Hilander Hybrid
2 Rav 4
1 Rav4 Hybrid
1 prius
1 Tundra

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Think about it...

Really really? The USA cannot solve a chip problem on a trillion dollar industry in THREE FUGGING YEARS?

Horse chit...

You're in construction - how long to put up a building of 700k square feet and install all the necessary pieces and components inside to make chips? Ok - now how long to get the environmental approvals for all the nasty raw products needed for that - on-site?

Me

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad I bought my 4Runner and paid it off when I did. 24K on it now.

Weirdest thing last week. Door lock actuator went bad on passenger side front. Hustled to get it fixed while still under warranty. Service writer told me it would have been ~ $500, otherwise. Sheesh..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My buddy ordered a new Bronco Sasquatch edition almost a year ago. No idea when it will arrive. This country is as F’d up as I’ve seen it in my 62 years.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Think about it...

Horse chit...

Three problems with the chip thing:

1. Automakers do not use the latest technology when it comes to processing chips. They use what is known as legacy chips (low margin) that few manufacturers are willing to continue making.
2. Chip demand is exponentially higher as virtually everything made today has a chip in it somewhere. In addition, cars went from a handful of computers to virtually every system has multiple processors attached.
3. And finally, it takes billions and years to ramp up a new plant and who wants to spend that money on low margin processors?

So the chip shortage is real and will continue for potentially years to come.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C

Think about it...

Horse chit...

You're in construction - how long to put up a building of 700k square feet and install all the necessary pieces and components inside to make chips? Ok - now how long to get the environmental approvals for all the nasty raw products needed for that - on-site?

I would solve the problem in the same way Trump would... Utilize an existing facility (US, Mexico, Canada et al) and gear up (refit/modify) the existing chip plant. Throw a chit ton of money at it and stuff would happen at the speed of light. Money is a phenomenal lubrication to most any problem. Cars, trucks, planes, trains, heavy equipment is Trillions of dollars of industry... sitting idle... begging China for chips. Bullchit on that.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Two slots of the 4 place toaster went tits up recently. What are we gunna do if we get company for breakfast, eat croissants or some schit??!

We really living on the edge out here.

LOL
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Think about it...

Horse chit...

Three problems with the chip thing:

1. Automakers do not use the latest technology when it comes to processing chips. They use what is known as legacy chips (low margin) that few manufacturers are willing to continue making.
2. Chip demand is exponentially higher as virtually everything made today has a chip in it somewhere. In addition, cars went from a handful of computers to virtually every system has multiple processors attached.
3. And finally, it takes billions and years to ramp up a new plant and who wants to spend that money on low margin processors?

So the chip shortage is real and will continue for potentially years to come.

I do NOT disagree with that summary (you or Teal).

Make the Chips a HIGH MARGIN item. If a chip for a $85,000 truck costs $100 to make (WAG)... throw $1k at it. Get the trucks sold.

ZERO logic in letting Billions in inventory just sit... when the fix is a 1% hit.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I bought a new Dodge 3/4 right before the virus hit. It’s an 18 with 20,000 miles. They try to buy it every time I take it to dealership for service. It has a lifetime power train warranty, so I have have dealership do the service.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Two slots of the 4 place toaster went tits up recently. What are we gunna do if we get company for breakfast, eat croissants or some schit??!

We really living on the edge out here.

Set up a GO FUND ME page... I'll be glad to help you!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
It is crazy, ordered a 22 Tacoma off road back in jan. Only add on was led lights. Truck just got to Chicago on Wednesday. Dealership says still be 3-6 weeks before it arrives ready to purchase. Was told same truck now is 8-9 months out if “ordered” today.

Crazy times

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Think about it...

Horse chit...

Can they get the chips to run the machines to make more chips?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Within a year and a half of the start of WWII, we were making planes, ships, guns, tanks, you name it.

Two years plus since the start of Covid, and these mfgrs still haven’t come up with a way to make some relatively low-tech chips (vs. cutting edge stuff), or standardize their platforms to the point that they don’t need multiple varieties of chips. Everyone just keeps pointing at the other guy, hoping they’ll get caught up “eventually”...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everything points to "The Great Reset".

When you can't make sense of things with your worldview, get a different one.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Full3r
It is crazy, ordered a 22 Tacoma off road back in jan. Only add on was led lights. Truck just got to Chicago on Wednesday. Dealership says still be 3-6 weeks before it arrives ready to purchase. Was told same truck now is 8-9 months out if “ordered” today.
Crazy times
Why don't you catch a ride to Chicago and pick it up? They may be lying to you.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Took Jeep 12 weeks to deliver our new Cherokee. Ordered my 2022 Tundra hybrid last September and am still waiting, they are now saying summer delivery. I did receive a call from my salesman on a straight gas Tundra that someone ordered but failed to qualify for financing. My Toyota dealership had one new car in stock, they have taken to posting images of vehicles that they will be receiving with an expected delivery date and selling them before they arrive. FJB

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Grumman
Talked to a guy that works at the Louisville Ford plant recently. He said they have an order backlog of over 300,000 Super Duty’s.

DAMN...

If they can make 10 a day that is 30,000 days

If they make 100 a day that is 3,000 days

If they make 1,000 a day that is 300 days

I wonder what happened to the 30-40,000 trucks sitting in parking lots waiting on chips to be installed.
I managed to get a 7.3L Superduty that was built in December. Only lasted 2 day on the lot.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.