Print Thread
Hop To
J
JeffP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Any recommendations for my brother? I might go for the ride and hunt grouse/fish while he bear hunts . My labs will definitely be coming (non negotiable) so some place that doesn’t have a problem with dogs.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

This guy, out of Skowhegan: www.pbguideservice.com

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
i really need to go to Maine someday

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The "Northwoods Sporting Journal" is the largest sporting magazine of Maine. It usually has many guides/sporting camps advertised:

https://www.sportingjournal.com/

The owner/editor,V. Paul Reynolds, hosts a Sunday night one-hour (7 pm EST) radio show called "The Maine Outdoors" on WVOM (101.3 and 103.9 FM). Very laid back, relaxing, old-school format.
Podcasts can be found here:
https://www.wvomfm.com/maine-outdoors-podcasts/

The Old Town Trading Post ( Old Town, Maine...10 miles north of Bangor, ME). used to haves several guides associated with it. Might be a source for you.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Google Randy Flannery in Danforth Maine

The way life should be.
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Jeff , highly recommend Pittston Farm above Rockwood .

Hunted and took good bears 2019 and 2020.

Guy and Jenn will treat you right and your not just a number .

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd recommend doing thorough research before sending anyone a deposit. There are lot of shyster guides and horror stories since the state made it easier for anyone to attain a Guide license. I'd also set realistic expectations for your hunt. Contrary to what many guides will tell you 400 lb. bear don't hide behind ever pine tree. The average weight for the majority of bear taken is 150-175 lbs.

Here is a listing of guides in the state - http://www.themainehuntingguide.com/guides.html

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
So I'll 2nd bluefish's recommendation of Randy Flannery at Wilderness Escape. But full disclosure we are good friends I knew Randy & Sharon before they had the lodge in Maine. If it means anything he gets many repeat bookings and by this time of the year he may not have openings for the baited bear season but you would have to contact him. I always like listening to first timers in camp talking about how impressed they are with their operation, how hard the staff works to give you a good experience, and how they plan to come back.
Maine does have some big bears. I think it has a reputation for 100-200 lb bears due to that being an average black bear in many states and that hunters (especially first timers) shoot the first one they see which is often a smaller bear, and that they are one of the hardest animals to judge for size.
The baited season in Maine is at the end of the summer so I don't believe grouse season is open but there are many fishing opportunities and Randy's lodge is right on the lake. Was there for bear last year and yes I did get a 400 lb'er, my first big one, I've taken some smaller ones previously. Planning on going back up for deer this year.
Best of luck where ever you go.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

This guy, out of Skowhegan: www.pbguideservice.com

Unless something has drastically changed in the last few years, I can personally vouch for these guys.

Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
Foggy mountain guide service used to be great when I hunted bear with them in Maine and Ontario years ago.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Dont know about who will allow dogs but... Bear Lane Guide in Wesley. I shot a bear with them last year on my first day in the stand. Guys name is Frank. Does hunts over bait and with hounds.

Also, next year I think I'll use Laneys Guide Service in Grand Lake Stream. He has excellent Plott Hounds and his rates are reasonable. Ask for Paul.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sunrise Ridge in Bingham, Troy baits and runs dogs for bears. He has great cabins with both heat and AC. His wife is a great cook and puts out a great spread.

J
JeffP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
TTT
Looking for this fall
Any more recommend guides?

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 52 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.