Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in 2018, a lot of folks on JBER along with commands don’t realize their are a lot brn bears on Jber . They just think a bunch of cute black bears running around.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/al...with-glock-10mm-on-elmendorf-richardson/

Last edited by 79S; 05/12/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
That sucks. Hate hearing it.

That's why around 1998 we purchased a bunch of them 870's and each team leader carried one and the other team members carried a can of spray. Elmendorf and ft rich didn't like us carrying loaded shotguns but we got away with alot.
I've had the Ft Rich bowhunting permit (moose) a couple of times and I was able to carry, I simply had to register my handgun with the MP's. I wouldn't go in any of those areas without a weapon myself which is why I stopped putting in for the Elmendorf moose bow hunt tag, you aren't allowed to carry anything other than your bow (not sure about bear spray) and there are quite a few brown bears on JBER.

According to the ADN, the soldier was not alone and was with 2 other soldiers, one who was injured by the bear and it sounds like they may have surprised the bear near it's den.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/mil...-injures-another-in-remote-part-of-jber/

Yeah elmendorf was a PIA to deal with. Since our building was on the air base, had to deal with them alot. It got to the point when I would be confronted and the MP found out I was a Marine, they just dropped it. When it came to the shotgun issue, we found a back door where it's legal to carry live rounds for training for safety issues as long as ammo is NATO approved. 12 gauge is.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
the dumbest thing I've ever heard is soldiers without weapons .....

WTF kind of pansy decided to disarm those whose very existence involves being heavily armed at all times ?

morons

by all rights, that fugging bear should have 500 bullet holes in it's stinking hide

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
By Joey Klecka and Tim Rockey
Published: May. 12, 2022 at 12:21 PM AKDT|Updated: 6 hours ago
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - The U.S. Army Alaska soldier that was killed by a bear Tuesday has been identified as Staff Sgt. Seth Michael Plant, according to Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson officials.

Plant, 30, from Saint Augustine, Florida, was an infantryman from the Third Battalion, 509th Parachute Infantry Regiment that served in Alaska, according to a release from JBER spokesperson Erin Eaton.

Plant was attacked Tuesday evening during a training exercise west of the Anchorage Regional Landfill, in an area known to Alaska Army as Area 412. The release said another soldier received minor injuries in the attack but has been treated and released from the JBER hospital, where Plant was declared dead.

According to a release from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, the the bear is a female brown bear, and the department reported that the sow and cubs had a nearby den in a remote portion of the base.

“Our deepest sympathies go out to Staff Sgt. Plant’s family, friends, and fellow military members during this very sad time,” said Department of Fish and Game Southcentral Regional Supervisor Cyndi Wardlow. “From everything we know so far, based on the scene investigation and information from other responding agencies, this appears to be a defensive attack by a female bear protecting her cubs. We are trying to learn everything we can about what happened to increase public safety around wildlife in Alaska.”

According to the release, the area of JBER where the attack occurred has been closed to the public for recreation. The department is encouraging anyone that sees a brown bear in Anchorage or unusual, aggressive wildlife behavior to report it to the department.

“Following the initial attack and U.S. Army personnel extraction, a brown bear approached the area. Bear spray was deployed by responding personnel and the bear left the immediate area,” the release said. “... A bear that is considered a public safety threat or involved in a fatal attack may be killed by the Department. Game cameras placed by ADF&G during their investigation indicated that ... an adult bear had returned to the area after nightfall and left the den site accompanied by the cubs”

The 673rd Security Forces Squadron initially responded to the incident, and the Alaska Wildlife Troopers are still searching for the bear involved in the attack.

The release said Plant has served as an active-duty soldier in the Army since January 2015, following a stint in the Army Reserves. He spent time serving in Fort Benning, Georgia, and Fort Bragg, North Carolina, before making his way to Alaska in July 2021.

“Staff Sgt. Plant was an integral part of our organization,” Lt. Col. David J. Nelson, 3rd Battalion, 509th Parachute Infantry Regiment commander, said in the release. “He was a positive and dedicated leader who brought joy and energy to the paratroopers who served with him. He always had a smile on his face, he always went above and beyond what was asked of him, and he served as an inspiration to all who had the privilege to know him. His loss is deeply felt within our organization and we offer our sincere condolences to friends and family.”

Stay informed with breaking news alerts from the Alaska's News Source app
Copyright 2022 KTUU. All rights reserved.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks bender.

Although very rare, this instance shouldn't have happened.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Thanks bender.

Although very rare, this instance shouldn't have happened.
Absolutely.

The report on AM news included interviews with family in St. Augustine.

Sgt. Plant was a real patriot, apparently a well liked and well respected soldier. His goal was SF.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Begich:
Many Republicans believe him to be a Republican and therefore will vote for him.
Many Democrats believe him to be a Begich and therefore will vote for him.

I don't see how he can lose!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by VernAK
Begich:
Many Republicans believe him to be a Republican and therefore will vote for him.
Many Democrats believe him to be a Begich and therefore will vote for him.

I don't see how he can lose!

Wrong thread ... but I agree !

the perfect candidate, planted at the perfect time ...

Alaska is royally f u ck ed !

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the post

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Monkeymaster
Thanks for the post
Really?

You a bot?

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.