24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was 50 years ago this year when I was discharged from active duty. I was the oldest in my platoon. Of course most were teenagers. I had been to college and I could have gone to officer training. I didn’t think I’d fit in well with officers.

Life member NRA
I prefer classic.
Member of the VVA - Semper Fi - SGT E5
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you made it home ok. A good friend for many years died from Agent Orange. Two high school classmates and my brother-in-law couldn’t live with the memories and they did themselves in.
You might look up if there’s a VVA (Vietnam Veterans of America) organization near by. I find the American Legend here is a lot more active and helpful than the VFW. The VFW here is more of an alcoholic club - (here at least.)
But the VVA is a damn good organization too.

My high school classmates - a lot of them - got a free ride to south east Asia. Most Vietnam but some Laos.

Last edited by Bugger; 05/11/22.

Life member NRA
I prefer classic.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My dad was in the Navy stationed in the MeKong delta. A man down the street from me was the first Sargent to make enemy contact in the Ia Drang LZ X-Ray battle. He's in General Moore's book. Mom got no letters for 3 weeks after the Tet offensive. She was scared to death. I'm still amazed at the guts these young men had.

Last edited by JD45; 05/13/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We owe a lot to those brave young men that served over there. I used to work with a Vietnam vet who came home from Vietnam in 1969. He said when they got close to Fort Campbell, they were told there was protestors throwing bags of dog schitt at the soldiers getting off the buses.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roverboy
We owe a lot to those brave young men that served over there. I used to work with a Vietnam vet who came home from Vietnam in 1969. He said when they got close to Fort Campbell, they were told there was protestors throwing bags of dog schitt at the soldiers getting off the buses.

I sort of wish the enlisted men had the go ahead to take matters in their own hands. We were blamed for the war by the mass media and the population believed it.
Being spit on, not allowed to go to churches, professors refusing to give good grades, and employers posting on HR doors “NO VETERANS!”. Even the police were harassing veterans.

Life member NRA
I prefer classic.
IC-A B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

Link Copied to Clipboard
CTV-TRX
Who's Online Now
269 members (10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 16penny, 2000gtacoma, 2701jim, 30 invisible), 1,223 guests, and 665 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3-22

UDG-IP

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2022 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.