Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Just signed up for a 25-miler. Anybody with experience they'd like to share about training, first competition, etc.? Thanks in advance.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have you attended any rides yet?
Attending rides and showing interest is the best way to shorten your learning curve and keep your horse healthy (uninjured).
Observing the vet check / hold process in action is almost mandatory before doing your first ride IMHO.
Good luck with your LD, have fun and let us know how it was!

PS - Being in Michigan, your western rides are on the bucket list.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Distridr,

What a great experience. We arrived at the check station after the first '15,' that was more like 20 (got bad directions twice) with a heart rate of 64 bpm and the vet commended his conditioning. We finished right at the time limit taking it easy and riding the extra miles. The people who ran this event were awesome and the scenery was fantastic. Definitely want to do Moab Canyons in the fall, maybe for a 50 miler this time. Come on out: https://aerc.org/rpts/Calendar.aspx?csID=469338#flag

Yellow slicker, gray gelding: https://www.dnphotography.co/2022-Moab-Canyon-Rims/n-RgHP9X/

Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 05/14/22. Reason: added link

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Glad you had a good time on your ride!
Sounds like you and your horse were well prepared. A 50 is a different animal but it looks like you're well on your way.
That's some awesome scenery you guys ride in out there.
LOL on getting turned around. It happens. My horse and I got "lost" and did the 32 mile version of a 25 mile ride last year and still won.
The endurance crowd is always great people, it is usually an honor to make their acquaintance.
I had big plans for a couple destination rides this year, but unfortunately am in between horses right now. frown The Moab ride will definitely be at the top of the list when the tide turns!
Thanks for posting the pics and info and good luck with your next ride.

Keep us posted!

Last edited by Distridr; 05/19/22.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Helped try to get an endurance ride in Alaska. ended up putting on LD rides from my house for two years (has to be a 50 miler to be AERC). climate, trails and lack of vets were the main killers of the idea.
Don't overlook the importance of getting yourself in top shape to help the horse out. Foundationtraining.com is a great program for equestrian related activities.
Most of the volunteers work way harder and put in a lot more time than just doing the ride- be kind, courteous, and appreciative of the people helping out -
https://www.sheathunderwear.com/ are worth it.
Good luck and keep us posted

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Dan, thanks for the info. I did have a raspberry on my right cheek! LOL

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Somehow missed this back in February. Sounds like a successful experience
Congrats.

A bit about your preparation would be interesting.

Just rode yesterday at Dan’s place. What was that Dan? 4-5 miles. We’re ready! lol

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks Ironbender,

I was here in Utah working with horses in 2006 when an employer paid me for services with an Arab mare (Allektra '99) with good papers. She was too broncy and her head wasn't pretty enough for her owners, so I took her (was younger then). I tried to ride her until she was tired enough to settle down and found that she could usually outlast me. I got an idea that her progeny might make endurance horses. I was also working at an Outward Bound-type outfit where one of the teachers owned a Jockey Club stud (Armstrong '96). We did a mating and my current gelding Dale resulted, but he was foaled in IL and spent time there and in 4 other states (I had foolishly taken a real job). That mare went down the road and put the next owner in the hospital. I got back here permanently in 2017 and got busy starting a business. I recently came to my senses and realized that if I didn't enter him in a race now, I never would.

We honestly did a half dozen rides in preparation (we're at 7000 feet). It's rocky here, and steep, so we usually go pretty slowly. I would probably call it 'interval training,' for lack of a better term. Walk up the really steep stuff, trot/lope when the trail's good and walk over the rocks. Moab is 2000 feet lower and the trails were a lot better. We went out with the leaders (there was a Tevis and Bighorn vet in our LD) and I pulled him back about halfway through the first 15 miles. I didn't want to be the guy they warn about in the AERC literature. Then I proceeded to get off track, etc.

Got away with a horned saddle, boots and jeans, and no heart rate monitor or electrolyte supplements. Might have to take it up a notch and get serious if we want to do a real ride this fall.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Beautiful country there. Wife and I did the Redrock Ride (https://www.redrockride.com/) out of Tropic two years ago. Rode Bryce, Zion, Pariah, and four other places. Did not get to the north rim of the GC because of a very big wildfire.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the link; I was not familiar with the ride and it sure looks great. Enjoy the holiday weekend.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the update. please give us a rundown if you do another one so we can ride vicariously with you.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Awesome job!! These endurance rides are on my bucket list as well. I wish I had the time to train for the Tevis. I'd like to say it's on my bucket list, but reality tells me that'll never happen.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
Got away with a horned saddle, boots and jeans, and no heart rate monitor or electrolyte supplements. Might have to take it up a notch and get serious if we want to do a real ride this fall.

I agree with your stepping up, it's part of the fun.

Heart rate monitors have become a later stage item in my program. I feel that it is more important and advantageous to listen to the horse and learn the horse, before introducing the HRM. Electronics (even GPS for me) have a funny way of messing with our relationship with the horse.

Electrolytes (with correct chemistry, probably not found at your local farm store) and calcium are a must. Again, you need to learn your horse. It is not fun for either of you when they run low.

YMMV, but these things are part of our learning curve.

Originally Posted by Dan_H
Thanks for the update. please give us a rundown if you do another one so we can ride vicariously with you.

+1!

Last edited by Distridr; 06/11/22.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Distridr,

Real life has gotten in the way and as it's already late July, I might just do another 25 miler in the fall. Still looking forward to it. Perhaps I can give him a better opportunity to display his ability.

Robster,

My horse was in Allegany County for years. My dog did his VJP in Lyons. Where are you?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm in Constantia. North shore of Oneida Lake

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.