Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It will take less time for the bullet to hit earth. It ain't rocket surgery.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Jericho
Just checked out MACV SOG, very interesting....so the weapons without serial numbers was true?

Not sure about the serials as I wasn’t there with them but they were allowed allowed a lot of liberties with their weapons.
MadDog Schriver had a 444 Marlin sent over........

Studies and Observations Group.........their true stories humble most men’s best lies.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jc189
Originally Posted by WAM
The best war story I have heard, was in a bar in TX. The guy was telling us that he was SF in VN and they would go on top secret missions without dog tags, name tags on their uniforms, military IDs and weapons without serial numbers......
Maybe you never heard of MACV SOG? Or maybe he had? LOL

I was just about to say the same thing.

X2. Jericho, Google MACV SOG Across the fence.
I’ll get that.
John L Plasters book is excellent also, Major he was over there 69-71

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you guys listen to Podcasts, check out one named SOGCAST. Also, if you search Jockos podcasts you can find the episodes where he interviews John Stryker Meyers. Very good listening if you’re into that sort of thing.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Just checked out MACV SOG, very interesting....so the weapons without serial numbers was true?

Not sure about the serials as I wasn’t there with them but they were allowed allowed a lot of liberties with their weapons.
MadDog Schriver had a 444 Marlin sent over........

Studies and Observations Group.........their true stories humble most men’s best lies.......

Agreed. Amazing stories from a bunch of young warriors doing Gods work against communism.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
There are lots of people that never grasp the following:

If you fire a bullet from a level barrel and at the same time simply drop a bullet (both simultaneously from the exact same height), they will hit the ground at the same time - one just happens to hit way out there and one at your feet.

What if the gun is a magnum shooting a liteweight bullet?

Gravity works on lightweight bullets too 😁

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

If you fire a bullet from a level barrel and at the same time simply drop a bullet (both simultaneously from the exact same height), they will hit the ground at the same time - one just happens to hit way out there and one at your feet.

All bets are off, and the laws of physics cease to apply.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've a friend who, if he says, "Is that so?" - he's calling BS. He is very polite and I've never heard him utter a swear word.

Ya gotta know the code.....

Jokes on him tho - the only time he laid that on me it was a true, unvarnilshed tale. Fishing at that!

Sometime, I'll tell it here, maybe.

Last edited by las; 05/09/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I'd like to brag. I have a Salvage 10 FP on its second barrel. But the first barrel made me proud. We were having "sight in" and most of us range-masters (hunters are SCARY) brought some of our own iron for when it would get slow. So one of the guys was interested in my hard-ridden 223, which was putting nice groups on the target at just 100 yards. "Can I try it?" "Sure!"
So, he starts working on one hole, still has one perfectly-centered hole after four and EVERYONE is on the spotting scope for the fifth. The cheers were loud, okay? Best group that barrel ever, ever shot, a .281. I stalked over to the bench, scowled at the rifle and said "Ungrateful b1tch, I am NOT selling you!"

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
500 yards offhand.

Okay.

Check out a High Power Silhouette match sometime. Hitting a life size ram at 550 yds is not excessively difficult, but it is challenging. I generally hit 3 out of 10. My best is 5. Off of a bench it would be easy.

EDIT: I am zeroed at 550 yds., just for this game. With a 100 yd zero it would make things much more challenging. 8 ft drop between a 100 zero and a 550 yd target. .30-06/180 gr bullet. YMMV

Last edited by prplbkrr; 05/12/22.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Craigster
It will take less time for the bullet to hit earth. It ain't rocket surgery.

Long after that one that was dropped as this one exited the muzzle.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

Makes not difference. Galileo Galilei proved that 400 years ago by dropping stuff off the leaning tower of Pisa.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
500 yards offhand.

Okay.

Check out a High Power Silhouette match sometime. Hitting a life size ram at 550 yds is not excessively difficult, but it is challenging. I generally hit 3 out of 10. My best is 5. Off of a bench it would be easy.

EDIT: I am zeroed at 550 yds., just for this game. With a 100 yd zero it would make things much more challenging. 8 ft drop between a 100 zero and a 550 yd target. .30-06/180 gr bullet. YMMV

Hitting a life sized ram and hitting a buck in the kill zone are two different things, I think.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'm one of "those hunters". I hunt in pretty thick brush, I realized most of my shots were 20-30 yards, if that. Some are so close I wonder if I should hold low. A couple years ago I had a longer shot at a decent deer, I guestimated 160-170 yards. In any event not far enough to have to "hold over", but a long shot for me. I shot, bang flop. Later I bought a range finder and measured it at 120 yards. Good thing all of my shots are short. Using the range finder I found that I was way over estimating the range.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
500 yards offhand.

Okay.

Hitting a life sized ram and hitting a buck in the kill zone are two different things, I think.

P

One goes whang, the other goes kawhop!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Makes not difference. Galileo Galilei proved that 400 years ago by dropping stuff off the leaning tower of Pisa.

If you're talking "way out there". There's a couple of monkey wrenches to consider. The first is Coriolis Drift if firing a rifled barrel, depending on where on the earth you are and in what direction you're firing;
Litz on the Coriolis Effect
Coriolis Drift can have a vertical component to it that opposes the forces of gravity.

The other factor is the curvature of the earth. The farther out you're shooting, the curvature of the earth causes the drop distance to the ground to increase.

BTW, Galileo found that the heavier ball hit the ground first.
Galileo's experiment

Last edited by ChrisF; 05/14/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

If you're talking "way out there". There's a couple of monkey wrenches to consider. The first is Coriolis Drift if firing a rifled barrel, depending on where on the earth you are and in what direction you're firing;
Litz on the Coriolis Effect
Coriolis Drift can have a vertical component to it that opposes the forces of gravity.

The other factor is the curvature of the earth. The farther out you're shooting, the curvature of the earth causes the drop distance to the ground to increase.

BTW, Galileo found that the heavier ball hit the ground first.
Galileo's experiment

Every school kid knows the gravitational effect is proven in a vacuum. Atmosphere alters the drag on the object falling at different levels depending on weight and resistance due to surface area.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
A stopper to the whopper, might be a demonstration of positional shooting. His and yours.
The talking heads, just might have to come up with some other whopper once they miss 100% of there shots at 100 yards. Use a competion target and score the target afterward.
It can be humbling .

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Lotta guys do this or that or just talk about doing this or that.. Thing is anything you want to do requires the right equipment and skills to do it, then practice at it till you can. Pretty simple really. Every Father's day week and weekend I shoot a 45-70 at a 800yd target and hit it about 1/3 to 1/2 the time, might even do better if I used a scope. There are guys who are a lot better at it, I just need more practice....mb

I don't doubt it. We were aiming at large rocks in a river a hell of a long way down in a valley with a .30-30. You could put the bottom of the scope on the rock, fire and then wait for the splash. It was more like artillery. Fun! The hunter that owned the place said it was about 600 yards. I don't know.

I witnessed a guy in South Africa ping an 8" metal target over and over, offhand at 200m, with his ancient bolt action hunting .22 LR. "I know my own guns". He very much did.

I'm sure I heard BS stories, especially at gun shops, but I don't remember any of them. Just remember feelings of wistful incredulity.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 05/26/22.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Long ago I went rabbit hunting with a buddy of mine and didn’t particularly feel like cleaning any rabbits that day. I showed up for the hunt with a 9.5” Ruger single six. As we prepared for the hunt my companion noticed me buckling my belt and asked what I was planning on doing with my chosen weapon. I told him I was going to shoot rabbits! He doubted me as well as my confidence. Some time later I was standing on a brush pile in a rather off balance position and jumping up and down trying to spook out any inhabitants. Just then a small bird burst out at a very high rate of speed. About as fast as I’ve ever moved in my life I drew that long barreled 22 and shot towards about my 4-5o’clock. I’ll be damned but that little tweety went poof and tumbled to the earth dead as a stone. I opened the gate, pushed out the empty and loaded another into the chamber, and acted as if I knew exactly what had just happened. Thankfully we never saw any rabbits that day!

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.