Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mr Too Dogs,

While I appreciate your nice comments on my writing, word-count cannot be "ignored" by any magazine writer these days--unless they want real trouble from the magazine's editor and owner. And in this instance the magazine's owner also happens to be Jeremiah's father.

Along with writing close to 3000 articles for various magazines over the decades, I have also spent several years as the head editor for three magazines. Had several writers try to whip out articles for all three, going long over my requested word-count--and justified it by suggesting that it was "the editor's job" to cut them down to size. I assured the first guy who tried this was NOT the editor's job, for a couple of reasons:

First, I'd written for several magazines by then, and found that the more finished my submissions were (including word-count) the more money I was paid. Second, a magazine editor's main job is to provide an array of articles in each issue, appealing to a variety of readers. This involves reading a LOT of submissions, which is far more important than editing some lazy writer's too-long article.

The guy who insisted it was my job to edit/cut down articles sent in 5000 words, which very few magazines published even back then--and I'd asked for 2000. It was actually relatively easy to cut it down to 2000, by eliminating entire pages that essentially repeated the same information as other pages. But it also took over an hour, which I could have used for reading at least 2-3 other submissions. That writer never got another assignment from me.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I miss Scovill, probably learned something from damn near every column he wrote. That being said, I think Jeremiah's first effort was fine & I'm looking forward to seeing where he goes with it. As has been said already, new blood is good (and I was dreading Hoots taking it over - he's nearly as bad as Claire Rees...)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Well if he’s gonna go over with me he needs to lose the cowboy hat while indoors. WTF?

Is that socially unacceptable where CB hats are common?
It's a manners thing (where manners are practiced) to remove one's hat when you enter a room. You'll see it without fail with military personnel and lots of old cowboys.

Exactly. Hats at a table are taboo and never a hat on the bed.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Hats at the table= bad manners

Hats on the bed, makes me cringe, and that's= bad manners. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just once more to be clear, I wasn’t ragging on the man about his manners; it is after all a video set, not a home or public accommodation. I think it looks phony, and silly, and IMO it’s both unless that’s what he wears when he’s loading and the camera’s not running. In that case, it’s just “quirky” and we all have those; goodness knows I do……..

We also have to consider the possibility that it’s not his idea to wear it at all, but that of the production folks. I’m going with that.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chesterpulley
I miss Scovill, probably learned something from damn near every column he wrote. That being said, I think Jeremiah's first effort was fine & I'm looking forward to seeing where he goes with it. As has been said already, new blood is good (and I was dreading Hoots taking it over - he's nearly as bad as Claire Rees...)

That’s “high praise”!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475
If some wants to wear a hat indoors, that's fine by me. Why that bothers anyone is beyond me

Because it's a sign of disrespect in another's house, and a sign of mental deficiency in your own?

What's a hat for, and do those conditions exist indoors?

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Guys I worked with had ball caps on all the time to cover the bald spot they were sensitive about displaying.

Whatever.

GOA
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Garandimal
If some wants to wear a hat indoors, that's fine by me. Why that bothers anyone is beyond me

Because it's a sign of disrespect in another's house, and a sign of mental deficiency in your own?

GR

A hat can be for looks and that goes in or out of doors. The so called disrespect is an old BS tradition that is often ignored today.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Guys I worked with had ball caps on all the time to cover the bald spot they were sensitive about displaying.

That's a reason

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We were taught to take our shoes off in the house. I suppose that we could have declared anyone who didn't do so (at any place) as disrespectful if we chose to do so. It wouldn't matter that they intended no disrespect, but since it was a "rule" that we (well, really Momma) made up, we would have had the right to brand them as such.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

GR

A hat can be for looks and that goes in or out of doors. The so called disrespect is an old BS tradition that is often ignored today.

Fashion - applies to women.

That's why hats are acceptable for them to wear indoors.

... like makeup.

GR

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

GR

... like makeup.

GR

That's your opinion, never saw a Western where the cowboy all took there hat off insideca salone

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

GR

... like makeup.

GR

That's your opinion, never saw a Western where the cowboy all took there hat off insideca salone

Musta been gay cowboys...

8>)

GR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't speak to the articles as I no longer subscribe to any print magazines.

But I have watched the Handloader TV series on YouTube, and I like this concept and format. I think Jeremiah does a pretty good job, although he could use some coaching on public speaking. This isn't to say I feel his presentation is bad or unwatchable, just that he's clearly very new to presenting to a camera, and it's pretty clear he's not yet comfortable in this presentation format.

As to the hat, it never even crossed my mind to have an opinion on his choice of headwear.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Always thought traditions and beliefs should have a real reason to exist. I'm not much on doing schit because we always do it that way.

Lots of stupid traditions or rules out there like not putting a hat on a bed, that are just ridiculous and have no basis in fact.

Hell I even got in the shower with a ball cap on once. Wore it so much I forgot I had it on. Maybe we should make that a rule too?

Last edited by mjbgalt; 05/16/22.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Lots of stupid traditions or rules out there like not putting a hat on a bed, that are just ridiculous and have no basis in fact.

Was wearing a "cowboy" hat many years ago during a fly-fishing trip with several other writers, mostly because there was some chance of rain, and a wide-brimmed hat kept raindrops off my glasses. (Used to write about fishing a lot too, in fact one of my old books is all about the subject.)

When we got back to the lodge where we were staying, and I took my hat off and threw it on the bed. One of the other guys immediately almost shouted, "You never put a cowboy hat on a bed!" There may even been a comment about it being bad luck, but in any case I had NEVER heard that before, despite growing up in Montana, and working on more than one ranch. The other writer had grown up in upstate New York....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It sounds like something that the Darling family on Andy Griffith would champion.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hell, I don't even move the dishes when I piss in the sink.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age
Hell, I don't even move the dishes when I piss in the sink.

Lol thanks for the early morning wakeup still laughing. Don't feel bad if I never invite you over for a beer though ok?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 204guy, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.