Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
So do you spend much time glassing with your tripod?

I went through my pack and narrowed it down to about 46 pounds. Having a folding saw, I guess I don’t NEED a hatchet too.

Having a zero degree quilt and bivy sack, I should get by without a sleeping bag liner ….

I was originally loading about 3 skivvy roles (sock and base layer set. I’m going narrow that down to one.

I’ve got a Kuiu refuge tent. Was planning on using that as a base camp and keeping a tarp on hand for day hunting/glassing/emergency. Thinking I may just go with the tent and leave the tarp at home as my two hunting partners have tarps as well.

I did make a few decisions on things to keep too. Do appreciate everyone’s input! Part of the fun of the off-season is the fine tuning.

I usually spend a fair bit of time glassing w/ the tripod, but probably 90% with my binos. Elk/deer I only bring out the spotter if it's far enough off I can't tell wether it's worth pursuing.

Clothing is a good place to cut weight, not even so much what you're carrying, but what not to carry. 5 day hunt I bring one extra pair of socks- sleep socks that stay dry no matter what (unless it's the last day of the hunt). Longer I will bring another set of boxers, another base top and another pair of socks (three total).

If you guys are going as a group, that might another good place to look for cutting weight. Possibly share a shelter(s) and divvy up the weight, cut down on the number of stoves/fuel, etc.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We always bring a stove per person, just to have a backup. Otherwise, I am all about sharing weight.

Never weighed a pack without food. Guessing I was right around 40 without food, but thats for 2+ weeks.

You don't need the hatchet, and probably don't need the saw either. I'd spend my lbs and oz on optics, but thats just me.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was able to lighten my load by going to Lighterpacks.com and doing research on backpacking gear on backpacking web sites and YouTube backpacker videos.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (257wthbylover, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 23 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.