Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
SAM50 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
How often do you do this? I have a tendency to scrape too hard, and this has to led to misfires from the primers being seated too deep. Happened in two different guns, so I’m pretty sure my technique is the cause. Any help is appreciated.

Home Of The Mollies
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only when super duper bored as really unnecessary. If I do I use a brush that doesn’t remove metal

Swifty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll do it after about 4 firings. As the carbon starts getting caked in there by that time. I hit it with my frankford arsenal case prep tool. Its not a wire brush, but it works well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use a primer pocket tool from Sinclair and do it every time.

lightman
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Get a cleaner that shoulders on the base of the case, then it will not constantly get deeper...

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by lightman

This but I don’t do it every time. I do it the first time and they get clean when I clean the brass.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I pop the primers out with a Frankford Arsenal deprimer, then wet tumble the brass. No need to ever clean them again.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
"every time" is an overkill. Cleaning the flash hole and making sure it is burr free is far more important. Also, if the tool removes any brass from inside the primer pocket, you are taking life away from the brass each time you do that and may end up in the same boat as the OP..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I'd throw that hand deburring tool as far as I could chuck it.. Then I'd probably run it over with the lawn mower. I hate those fugging things..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
"every time" is an overkill. Cleaning the flash hole and making sure it is burr free is far more important. Also, if the tool removes any brass from inside the primer pocket, you are taking life away from the brass each time you do that and may end up in the same boat as the OP..

A Sinclair tool should only remove brass once. They have a stop collar.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

A Sinclair tool should only remove brass once. They have a stop collar.

That is a good thing. No harm in cleaning the primer pocket with that tool then. I understand that guys can be real anal about some things, but I have not found cleaning primer pockets to be a necessity for getting the utmost precision out of your handloads. Now, if the carbon is interfering with seating depth or you are getting some weird detonation problems like hangfires or something, I'd investigate the primer pockets and make sure the primers are getting seated properly. Also keeping in mind this is the "big game" reloading section, not the precision reloading forum.. If you are into shooting in the .1's or .2's with a full blown bench rest rifle you may want to be that nit picky, but for reloading hunting rifle ammo, nah..

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I've had the Sinclair tools for a long time, but in almost sixty years of handloading, I've not seen a need to clean primer pockets. I did uniform some primer pockets for a benchrest gun once, but I'm not sure that was really a necessity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it’s not necessary to clean primer pockets, though I have at times. I have a wet tumbler that cleans everything but I think that’s a PIA. I also have a vibratory cleaner and I have the same steel pins in it that are used in the wet tumbler, I like that more than the wet tumbler for most uses. The wet tumbler is the way to go with black powder cartridges cases IMO.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I use a brush and clean the pocket every time I reload, no big deal it takes about 5 seconds.....Hb

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’m waiting for someone to prove that cleaning a primer pocket is even necessary. I doubt anyone here has shot many more rounds than I have, and I will guarantee, no one has cleaned less primer pockets.

Zero, out of 10’s if not 100’s of thousands of rounds.

I won’t argue someone shooting bench rest competition, I have never done that. Outside of that, there has never been any evidence that cleaning a primer picket was the least bit necessary.

One comment “it only takes 5 seconds” would add so much time to reloading, I wouldn’t have time to shoot for the time I would spend cleaning primer pockets…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I clean pockets with an RCBS brush to make sure primers are fully seated.

For test loads, I have reprimed rifle cases without cleaning when I see a clear passage and feel the primer fully seated.

All my rifle loads, cleaned or not - fired at expected fps.

FWIW - on a few pistol loads, I've had primers not fully seated due to grit causing cylinder rotation stoppage on a Ruger and Colt.

So at least on pistol loads, I'll check every one for flush fit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

+1

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Clean them every time with a hand held RCBS wire brush. Sometimes I put the brush in a cordless drill. Does it help with accuracy? IDK? Does it make me feel better? Yes.

It is a pain though, I am almost done with about 300 .243 cases right now.

There's 50 7x57 cases in the tumbler now....

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If you think that it helps, then it does. Competitive shooters understand this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.