Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
SAM50 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
How often do you do this? I have a tendency to scrape too hard, and this has to led to misfires from the primers being seated too deep. Happened in two different guns, so I’m pretty sure my technique is the cause. Any help is appreciated.

Home Of The Mollies
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Only when super duper bored as really unnecessary. If I do I use a brush that doesn’t remove metal

Swifty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll do it after about 4 firings. As the carbon starts getting caked in there by that time. I hit it with my frankford arsenal case prep tool. Its not a wire brush, but it works well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use a primer pocket tool from Sinclair and do it every time.

lightman
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Get a cleaner that shoulders on the base of the case, then it will not constantly get deeper...

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by lightman

This but I don’t do it every time. I do it the first time and they get clean when I clean the brass.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I pop the primers out with a Frankford Arsenal deprimer, then wet tumble the brass. No need to ever clean them again.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
"every time" is an overkill. Cleaning the flash hole and making sure it is burr free is far more important. Also, if the tool removes any brass from inside the primer pocket, you are taking life away from the brass each time you do that and may end up in the same boat as the OP..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I'd throw that hand deburring tool as far as I could chuck it.. Then I'd probably run it over with the lawn mower. I hate those fugging things..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
"every time" is an overkill. Cleaning the flash hole and making sure it is burr free is far more important. Also, if the tool removes any brass from inside the primer pocket, you are taking life away from the brass each time you do that and may end up in the same boat as the OP..

A Sinclair tool should only remove brass once. They have a stop collar.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman

A Sinclair tool should only remove brass once. They have a stop collar.

That is a good thing. No harm in cleaning the primer pocket with that tool then. I understand that guys can be real anal about some things, but I have not found cleaning primer pockets to be a necessity for getting the utmost precision out of your handloads. Now, if the carbon is interfering with seating depth or you are getting some weird detonation problems like hangfires or something, I'd investigate the primer pockets and make sure the primers are getting seated properly. Also keeping in mind this is the "big game" reloading section, not the precision reloading forum.. If you are into shooting in the .1's or .2's with a full blown bench rest rifle you may want to be that nit picky, but for reloading hunting rifle ammo, nah..

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had the Sinclair tools for a long time, but in almost sixty years of handloading, I've not seen a need to clean primer pockets. I did uniform some primer pockets for a benchrest gun once, but I'm not sure that was really a necessity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it’s not necessary to clean primer pockets, though I have at times. I have a wet tumbler that cleans everything but I think that’s a PIA. I also have a vibratory cleaner and I have the same steel pins in it that are used in the wet tumbler, I like that more than the wet tumbler for most uses. The wet tumbler is the way to go with black powder cartridges cases IMO.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I use a brush and clean the pocket every time I reload, no big deal it takes about 5 seconds.....Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m waiting for someone to prove that cleaning a primer pocket is even necessary. I doubt anyone here has shot many more rounds than I have, and I will guarantee, no one has cleaned less primer pockets.

Zero, out of 10’s if not 100’s of thousands of rounds.

I won’t argue someone shooting bench rest competition, I have never done that. Outside of that, there has never been any evidence that cleaning a primer picket was the least bit necessary.

One comment “it only takes 5 seconds” would add so much time to reloading, I wouldn’t have time to shoot for the time I would spend cleaning primer pockets…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I clean pockets with an RCBS brush to make sure primers are fully seated.

For test loads, I have reprimed rifle cases without cleaning when I see a clear passage and feel the primer fully seated.

All my rifle loads, cleaned or not - fired at expected fps.

FWIW - on a few pistol loads, I've had primers not fully seated due to grit causing cylinder rotation stoppage on a Ruger and Colt.

So at least on pistol loads, I'll check every one for flush fit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

+1

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Clean them every time with a hand held RCBS wire brush. Sometimes I put the brush in a cordless drill. Does it help with accuracy? IDK? Does it make me feel better? Yes.

It is a pain though, I am almost done with about 300 .243 cases right now.

There's 50 7x57 cases in the tumbler now....

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If you think that it helps, then it does. Competitive shooters understand this.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If primer pockets ever get cleaned on my brass, it has happened when I throw them in the tumbler, and the brass is sort of groddy so I put some mineral spirits into the media....

that shines up every thing if left over night, to include the primer pockets...

other than that I have never noticed any accuracy or inaccuracy contribution, one way or the other...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A complete waste of time IMO. Ranks right up there with barrel break-in.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
You can clean primer pockets?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Thumblers tumbler works real well, cleans inside and out.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bugger
I think it’s not necessary to clean primer pockets, though I have at times. I have a wet tumbler that cleans everything but I think that’s a PIA. I also have a vibratory cleaner and I have the same steel pins in it that are used in the wet tumbler, I like that more than the wet tumbler for most uses. The wet tumbler is the way to go with black powder cartridges cases IMO.

So just a basic walnut hull type tumbler but with dry steel pins?? I’ve wondered about that before but was unsure the vibratory element was strong enough to run the pins. If that’s what you use how deep do you fill the bowl? Thx

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Seafire, as far as you can tell do mineral spirits have any effect on the poly bowl of your tumbler? Do you concern yourself about clearing any leftover spirits from the inside of your cases? Thinking the dry pins Bugger uses along with a little wet solvent might be the best of both worlds. No functional reason to clean primer pockets I just like clean cases. Think it was Mule Deer that said pocket crud doesn’t accumulate in the space occupied by the spent primer; so the new primer is seated in clear territory as well. Or something to that effect.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I guess they get cleaned a little if I remove the GI primer crimp or throw them in the vibratory, otherwise never.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by hanco
Thumblers tumbler works real well, cleans inside and out.
This !....
If you're going to wet tumble with pins anyway just decap first. Primer pockets will be as clean as all the other outside and inside like new brass.
One of the reasons I do wet, cuz personally I like clean stuff.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have done it both ways, clean and dirty, never could tell the difference. I picked up one of those ugly Lyman tabletop case prep machines a couple years ago, and one of the included tools was the primer pocket scraper that looks like a little flat blade screwdriver, so I started cleaning them again.

Only takes a second or two, can't hurt nothing, no big deal.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by shrapnel
One comment “it only takes 5 seconds” would add so much time to reloading, I wouldn’t have time to shoot for the time I would spend cleaning primer pockets…
Something else I do that i bet you dont is I thoroughly clean my rifles/handguns/shotguns (including the barrel) every time I get done shooting them and I also wash my truck every week or so, what can I say? I like to keep my stuff clean and I dont mind the little extra time it takes to keep it that way.....Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I clean all mine

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one of the RCBS prep stations with a mouth brush, inside and outside mouth bevels, and primer pocket brush station. I've been using it every time on the brass that seems to carbon up more than others, in the sequence I use to debur and chamfer the inside and outside of the mouth, then the primer pockets. The whole process including the primer process takes about 5-10 seconds per case, but I don't load the quantities some of you do.

I do debur the inside of the primer flash hole on every new case as you only have to do it once on each case. That often takes me a bit more time but I feel it is an important step for that little incremental advantage and I think it gives a lot more consistency in ignition in my loads...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Something else I do that i bet you dont is I thoroughly clean my rifles/handguns/shotguns (including the barrel) every time I get done shooting them and I also wash my truck every week or so, what can I say? I like to keep my stuff clean and I dont mind the little extra time it takes to keep it that way.....Hb

Your truck and guns won’t be any cleaner than mine, probably not as clean. Primer pockets are a different story. If you like to clean primer pockets, you are free to do so, but there is no way in the world you shoot as much as I do and clean primer pockets as you describe…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No way, I don't even clean my brass.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Your truck and guns won’t be any cleaner than mine, probably not as clean. Primer pockets are a different story. If you like to clean primer pockets, you are free to do so, but there is no way in the world you shoot as much as I do and clean primer pockets as you describe…
Yep, id say you do shoot more than me as I only shoot twice a month or so at maybe 40-50 rifle rounds per trip....So it aint so bad for me to clean primer pockets....Hb

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'd throw that hand deburring tool as far as I could chuck it.. Then I'd probably run it over with the lawn mower. I hate those fugging things..
Tell me more.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
Not something I've seen as helpful. So I don't do it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
On rainy days when I have already numbered every bullet in the house and recorded its weight in a notebook, sorted all of the coins in the house by denomination and date, recorded every book in the house by (1) author, (20 subject, (3) number of pages, (4) color of cover, and (5) date of publication, arranged the pencils (after sharpening) in the pencil drawer by length, and completed a few less important chores, if I have any time left, I might clean primer pockets.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Never intentionally.
Sometimes unintentionally, when tumbling tarnished cases.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I clean, it’s just how I was taught, so I do it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hudge
I clean, it’s just how I was taught, so I do it.

Do you remove your hat when you do it? grin (From another thread.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a Sinclair tool, use it sometimes, usually just a mild scrape with the small RCBS tool.

In a hunting rifle, say a Mod 70 fwt 30-06...is "deburring" the Flash Hole of Winchester/Remington brass really necessary? I have only had a few really tight, blueprinted, custom jobs that I could tell it worked on. Same with cutting the primer pockets with the Sinclair Tool. For along time I only used lapua, Norma and Nosler brass that was already prepped during manufacture.???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To be honest, I probably couldn't tell if deburring the inside of the flash hole made any difference for most loading, but it gave me a warm and fuzzy doing it just to be sure I was covering all my bases. I've come to the conclusion that loading is a total of a lot of sequential processes depending on how accurate you want/need your loads to be. Each process is incremental to the end product, so skipping one step in the process like deburring the flash holes, or chamfering the case mouths, or cleaning the primer pockets may or may not make a difference by themselves, the incremental nature of the whole process contributes to the end result.

To make a long story longer, it probably doesn't really matter all that much for hunting loads as long as you're not shooting extreme long range. In fact, in most cases I doubt you could measure the group difference in most hunting rifles with/without the extra steps. In a target rifle or across the course rifle it will probably be measurable, but I wouldn't know for sure....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.