Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jeffrey Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
For multi day late season elk hunt. Mine is getting pretty heavy as I acquire more gear for my budding backpacking obsession. Thankfully I’m running out of more stuff to buy. 😅

Edit- I should specify….
I am interested to hear what your whole kit might weigh. In my mind, I will be carrying a heavy pack to a camping spot, and then dropping gear for day hunts. My hunt bag weighs about 25 pounds. The pack with all my camp gear, sleep system, tent + hunting gear is weighing about 60 pounds right now.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 05/14/22.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm usually near 55 pounds not counting my rifle, for elk. My MR 6500 pack weighs more than most though.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I should add that is for 5 days and water is cached at camp site in advance.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
How late season are you talking? The later the season the heavier your overall weight will be. Bigger sleeping bag, higher r value pad (heavier), more insulation that you'll wear. No way around it.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Jackson,

We hunt the bitterroot in November, so I have plenty of cold weather gear for sure.

Mike, I think we’re along the same lines. I have a much maligned Eberlestock that I love, but i definitely carry extra total weight in the pack to make it more versatile overall. Use the F1 mainframe with the vapor 7500 housing a vapor 2500 and dry bag inside. All the extra stuff comes off and it’s just the mainframe with the Vapor 2500 while I’m hunting.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Mystery Ranch pack compresses down nicely for the week's hunt after the actual pack in which is a very useful feature. I'm probably at 20 to 25 pounds for the actual hunt as well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Day hunting pack is typically around 18-25 depending on how much water and snacks are in it. Be great if I could keep it under 18, but game bags, game cleaning gear, extra ammo, first aid/fire kits, headlamp, rangefinder, just seems like there's only so much you can do to lighten it and still be somewhat prepared. Scouting in preseason, I can bring it down to 15 lbs.

Overnight hiking trips are different, those are 45+. Not sure how some of these guys can do three nights with a pack that weights 25-30lbs.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 05/15/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My mid-season pack for a multi-day hunt is ~ 30 lbs- that's with my rifle; add 1.5 lbs of food/day and usually 2-4 lbs of water; a 5 day hunt would be in the 40-ish lb range.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I’d have to start shedding some serious gear to get down to 40 pounds.

I do have some duplicity. Binoculars for instance. A set for stalking (8x) and a larger set for glassing.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 05/15/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 05/15/22.
IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right now my pack is fully packed including food for a 3-night recreational trip. I will be following the creek so no need to carry water. The pack weighs 21#. No fishing gear as I will be occupied by other efforts.

I like to hunt Coues deer in southern Arizona. Temps are mild. The hike in is about 3 miles and there's no water along the way. Although there is water near camp. So I only carry about half a Nalgene jug. We usually carry only three nights food. It's so close that if we need more we will just go get it out of the truck. When I add field dressing gear, range finder, binoculars, extra ammo, my pack weighs about 27#. Plus a 9# rifle.

I hunt elk in the West Elk Wilderness during Colorado's 3rd rifle season. It's common to get some snow and occasionally we can get a couple of feet. We can also get temps in the 60s. The hike in is about 5 miles with more ups than downs. Water is convenient to camp but there is none along the way, so I carry a full quart. We dress warm to start then carry some extra cold weather clothing. I carry four nights food, a 10#, 4-season tent and a warmer sleeping bag. My pack weighs about 34#, plus 10# rifle.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am no stranger to a 30lb pack for 2-3 days though late season can complicate things. I have no need for a heavy tent. A Walmart 8x10 tarp works if I expect rain or snow. No tarp at all works if it is supposed to be dry. A synthetic sleeping bag and bivy cover works. Sometimes a pad, sometimes not. One knife with extra blades, game bags and a headlamp. Some extra odds and ends as you see fit.

I do pack a water filter and hatchet but some don’t. Tortillas and a premixed PB&J container for all meals, plus trail mix or granola bars. If there are no point restrictions I leave the spotter and tripod behind and only take 15x binos. A puffy for a pillow and one set of thick socks to sleep in. No extra cloths.

If you don’t need luxury then 30 lbs isn’t terribly tough to make.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
To those of you carrying 40-50 pound packs, are you carrying a tripod? Multiple optics? Extra clothes? Again, this is for mountain hunting, sleeping in freezing temperatures.

It would be awesome to see a packing list from some of you running packs under 50 pounds.

Thanks everyone for you input! Can’t wait for hunting season to come back around!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by mtwarden; 05/18/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have seldom weighed my pack. One of the times I did my total carry weight was 26 lb. including a 7 1/4 lb. rifle and a quart of water. I seldom carry water in the PNW but it was a long ways without a water source. That was for a 3 day/2 night deer hunt in sub-alpine in the North Cascades near the Canadian border.

Have carried some heavy packs on fun alpine lakes fishing forays, with lots of great food and cooking gear, and no meat to pack out.

The more serious the hunt the lighter weight I try to go: minimal tarp, minimal pad and minimal or no sleeping bag, no stove nor pot if only for a day or two. But I'm getting too old for backpack hunting, and you men are all way ahead of me with newer and better gear. I live your hunts with you through your stories.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for sharing your list, MtWarden.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Thanks for sharing your list, MtWarden.

No problem :)- you can see my spotter/tripod is on the "weak" side, but it works well enough for me to tell if a buck/bull is worth pursuing; other hunting (like my upcoming Dall hunt) would dictate a more potent spotter and heavier tripod adding an easy 4 pounds. The rest stays about the same (of course the number of days dictates the food weight)

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
So do you spend much time glassing with your tripod?

I went through my pack and narrowed it down to about 46 pounds. Having a folding saw, I guess I don’t NEED a hatchet too.

Having a zero degree quilt and bivy sack, I should get by without a sleeping bag liner ….

I was originally loading about 3 skivvy roles (sock and base layer set. I’m going narrow that down to one.

I’ve got a Kuiu refuge tent. Was planning on using that as a base camp and keeping a tarp on hand for day hunting/glassing/emergency. Thinking I may just go with the tent and leave the tarp at home as my two hunting partners have tarps as well.

I did make a few decisions on things to keep too. Do appreciate everyone’s input! Part of the fun of the off-season is the fine tuning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mtwarden's ruck is representative of my usual ruck equivalent items, particularly in winter.

Add: sidearm, usually loaded revolver with additional 5 to 6 cartridges.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I don’t have my itemized list on me but I was at 63 pounds for my solo sheep hunt into the unlimiteds last year. That included everything (food, water going in, rifle, tag). 9 days solo. I’ll bring less food this year for sure as I only ate 2/3 of it.

I was packing a tripod, rangefinder, 10x42 nl pure binos and kowa 884 spotter

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
456 members (300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 39 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.